Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 22-23, 2013 – 20 Kislev 5774 – Parshas Vayeshev
Light Candles by 4:31 – Havdalah 5:32
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Larry Radkowsky on the Yahrtzeits of their mothers, Bessie Jacobson Radkowsky (Basha Bas Sholem Dov) and Esther Glattstein Kramer (Ester Bas Asher Yehuda).
* Light Candles by 4:31
* Mincha 4:35, Ruach Minyan, 4:30 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:15 (Sephardi), 4:30 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:32
* 8 AM Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Larry Korb, Arnie Sherman, Geoffrey Rosenbloom, Dr. Marc Katz, Michael Hourwitz and Chaim Neustadter in memory of their parents: the 2nd Yahrtzeit of Minnie Korb, Minah Shifrah Bas Yisrael; the 3rd Yahrtzeits of Racie Sherman, Rivka Bas Yosef Yona; Maurice Rosenbloom, Moshe Heshel B"R Chaim Ben Zion; Gerrie Katz, Chana Pesel Bas Dovid; and Albert Hourwitz, Avraham Mordechai Ben Yitzchak HaLevi; and the 20th Yahrtzeit of Goldie Neustadter, Sara Golda Bas Harav Chaim Eliezer Altar.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:00 PM
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet on Wednesday, November 27.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information (301) 338-4810 or info@ goldennetwork.org.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continues with the topic "Litigation in Secular Courts"- Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Program will not meet this week.
* Esther & Alan Baldinger on the birth of a granddaughter, Goldie, born to Yiscah & Ezra Baldinger of Memphis, TN.
* Sharona & Shlomo Katz on the engagement of their son, Eliezer, to Elky Gilden of Yerushalayim, daughter of Tamara & Yehuda Gilden of Toronto, and to grandparents Arline & Irving Katz.
* Emilie & Rabbi Yitzchok Merkin on the engagement of their son, Duvie, to Michal Berkovitz of Lakewood, NJ.
YISE Programs and Listings
Special Family Ruach Minyan – This Shabbos, Friday, November 22, at 4:35 in the Arcola Social Hall. YISE's Assistant Rabbi, Rabbi Binyamin Silver, will be the Baal Tefillah. Come and show Rabbi Silver Kemp Mill's Ruach! Kids participate during Kabbalas Shabbos, and during Maariv there will be a special kids' storytime nearby.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will discuss practical aspects of Hilchos Chanukah between Mincha and Maariv this Shabbos at Arcola.
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, November 23, 7:00 PM in Arcola social hall and is open to the entire community! Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! Lots of Fun! This week is sponsored by an anonymous donor. (Next session will be December 7.)
Warm up for Chanukah – YISE Pre-Chanukah Messibah this Motzei Shabbos, November 23, 8:45 PM – 10:00 PM in the Social Hall. Divrei Torah, live music, spontaneity, and a spread of fine refreshments. Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak briefly at approximately 9:10 PM. All ages are welcome. For questions or to help sponsor this event please contact Yehuda Shinensky at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chanukah: Historical Context and Deeper Meanings – Rabbi Silver will be giving a two-part Chanukah series. Second part on Monday evening, November 25 at 8:00 PM at YISE.
Misyavnim: The Deterioration from Within – R' Shimshon Raphael Hirsch on Chanukah – An Erev Chanukah Shiur for men and women by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Tuesday, November 26 at 8:00 PM at YISE. Presented by the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah of YISE and the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW. This program is L'zecher Nishmas the Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW and Rav of YISE, HaRav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Shul Membership Directory is in preparation. If you have additions, changes or corrections, please go to www.yise.org/directory or send to email@example.com. The deadline is Monday, December 2.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will speak on the Development of the Minor Jewish Holidays, Monday, December 2, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM, at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Department Invites The Entire Community to the Annual Chanukah Party Celebration. Sunday December 1. 11:30 AM – 2:30 PM. Activities for Preschool and Young Elementary Ages Include: Cool Arts and Crafts! Special Projects! Donut Decorating! Delicious Snacks! Scavenger Hunt! Entertainment! And More!
Community Programs and Listings
Bnei Akiva of Silver Spring – Snif this Shabbos, November 23 from 3:20 PM until Mincha (4:20 PM) at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 2:50 PM.
Thanksgiving Day Learning Program for Men – The Ups and Downs of the "Shabbos Elevator." With Rabbi Eli Reingold, Thursday, November 28. The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva. Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Leaf Raking – The YGW Senior Boys Class is available throughout the autumn season to rake your leaves. The cost is $20 per hour. Please contact Rabbi Hes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-649-7077, ext. 1528 to make an appointment.
Citrus Sale – The YGW Senior Boys Class is having a Citrus Sale. Florida Naval Oranges (40-60 @ $36), Ruby Red Grapefruits (25-40 @ $32) and Tangerines (20-30 @ $26) are sold by the case. Orders are due by November 25 and should be sent to email@example.com.
GWCK's Annual Chanukah Mesibah – A festive celebration featuring live music and dancing, delicious Chanukah food, a magic show for children, and inspiring words of Torah from Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky. At the Kollel Tuesday, December, 3, at 7:00 PM.
TSGW 20th Annual Banquet – Sunday, December 8. Honoring Sara & Rabbi Mendel Bluming, Ms. Kerry Griffin and Mrs. Marcia Laundy. We thank you in advance for showing support to the Torah School as we complete our second decade of educating the children of the Greater Washington Jewish community. To make reservations and/or to place an ad visit www.torahschool.org/banquet-form.html.
Movie Night with the Kayamut/Sustainability Circle – Monday, December 9, from 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Watch "No Impact Man", a film about living a more environmentally friendly life, followed by a lively discussion of the movie, how it relates to Jewish teachings, and what new ideas we might want to try in our own lives. At the SSJC. RSVPs appreciated to Ellen Haber (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Evonne Marzouk (email@example.com).
Don't Waste It – Planning a Simcha? Mazal Tov! What do you plan to do with any left-over catered food from certified kosher stores or caterers? The Yehudah Mond Foundation can distribute your extra food to local families in need. To donate, call, or have your caterer contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or 301-537-7158.
Job Assist Events:
* Dreamweaver Training Online – Wednesday, November 27. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* Working with Recruiters and Temp Agencies – Free workshop with Aric Kabillio, Wednesday, December 11, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, YISE. To reserve a seat, email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* QuickBooks for Beginners – Tuesday, December 10, afternoon and evening classes. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 24 Monday, November 25 Tuesday, November 26 Wednesday, November 27 Thurs., Nov. 28 Thanksgivukah Friday, Nov. 29 Chanukah
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A 8:00 N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 7:30 6:00
Arcola 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:11 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:28 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:27 PM
November 29-30, 2013 – 27 Kislev 5774
Parshas Miketz – Shabbos Chanukah
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:30
* Early Mincha 3:00
* Light Candles by 4:28
* Mincha 4:25, 4:20 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:10 (Sephardi), 4:25 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:30
Friday, November 22 Ruach Minyan, 4:35
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 23 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 23 Pre-Chanukah Messibah, 8:45 PM
Shabbos, November 30 Bar Mitzvah of Zev Natan Namrow
Sunday, December 1 Annual Chanukah Party, 11:30 AM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, November 26, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Wednesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Closed on Thursday,
Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director