Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 23-24, 2016 – 24 Kislev 5777 – Parshas Vayeshev – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:32 – Havdalah 5:36
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Masha & Seth Katz in appreciation to members of the community for their support during our time of need.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the marriage of their grandson Chezky, son of Miriam & Simmy Guttman, of Milwaukee, to Devorah Shapiro, of Queens, NY
* Arleeta & Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-granddaughter, born to their grandchildren Shira (Lerner) & Shmuli Berglas of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to grandparents Shoshana & Ari Lerner of Baltimore and Robin & Shaya Berglas of Toronto and Israel and to great-grandparents Carole & Morty Pancer of Silver Spring. Mazal Tov to great-great-grandmother, Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Tamar & Joey Schmerling on the bith of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Gloria Feldman and Karen & Neil Schmerling. The Shalom Zachor will be held from 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM at the Schmerling home, 1215 Arcola Avenue.
* Elaine & Jerry Taragin on the engagement of their grandson, Jonathan Gardner, son of Linda & Michael Gardner, of East Brunswick, NJ, to Liz Rubin, daughter of Rachel & Alan Rubin, of Livingston, NJ. Mazal Tov to aunt & uncle Judy & Mitch Taragin and the entire Mishpacha.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the marriage of their daughter Naomi to Matt Lubin. Mazal Tov to Naomi's grandparents, Sheva Wakschlag and Judith & Rabbi Jacob Halpern. Mazal Tov and welcome to Matt's parents Teri & David Lubin and siblings Jamie and Kevin of West Hempstead, NY.
* Light Candles by 4:32
Arcola: 4:35 University: N/A Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Boys Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:30 University: N/A Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:36
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Nicole & Israel Barda in honor of their new baby girl, Tehila; and by Joyce & Nino Srour in honor of Merric & Eliana's upcoming wedding.
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola: A Review of the Halachos of Chanukah.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:45 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before we Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps – will not meet this week.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – will not meet on Monday.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will not meet this week.
YISE Programs and Listings
A Fertility Journey: Panel Discussion – Understand the stresses that 1 in 8 couples face, trying to get pregnant or sustain a pregnancy; learn some dos and don'ts in supporting your friends or loved ones; and hear from a couple that share their experience. Estee Silver, a registered nurse, Karen Wasserstein, a psychologist specializing in fertility counseling, and Atara and Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum will share their insights. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and chesed committees of YISE, KMS, and SSJC. Sunday, December 25, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, YISE Social Hall.
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, December 31, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, January 2 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517or email@example.com
How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk – YISE Shomrai Nursery Parenting Series. A six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. Facilitated by Judy Rosenthal, parent educator and consultant, who has worked with parents of young children for over 10 years. 6 sessions beginning January 8. At the home of Judy Rosenthal. Cost: $100 per person / $120 per couple. (Includes: A copy of "How to Talk so Kids will Listen, And Listen so Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, and class materials). To Register: contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-7365.
Joint YISE/KMS Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 22. Looking for gently used clothing and shoes to benefit a Jewish organization called CHANA. Details to follow. Contact Miriam Friedman for more info and to volunteer, email@example.com
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. As our YISE members travel to visit family at Chanukah, we hope you'll all remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Thank you to our dedicated Youth Group Leaders!
The tireless efforts of these young men and women help ensure a positive and safe experience for our children.
Avi Augenbaum, Orly Baras, Benny Benamou, Chani Dorfman, Miriam Hillman, Rivka Hillman, Leora Landy, Ariella Miller, Aviva Miller, Talya Miller, Yael Miller, Penina Rubin and the substitutes.
Their commitment to the YISE youth is admirable.
YISE Financial Software Conversion and Statements
As we approach the end of the year there is an opportunity to save on taxes by donating and paying Shul bills by the end of the year. While most YISE members will be receiving their bills shortly, due to complications associated with a software conversion, it is conceivable that not all YISE members will receive their bills in December. If you would like to know the balance on your account please feel free to contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, extension 403, or firstname.lastname@example.org As a reminder, donations to YISE can be made online by clicking on the "donate" button at www.yise.org Thank you for your patience during our financial software transition.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 24, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 3:00 PM.
Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner will be in Kemp Mill this Shabbos, December 23-24. Please contact Naomi Carmel at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions for the Yoetzet Halacha program and for the full schedule. Among her other presentation this Shabbos will be Friday night at 7:45 PM for women only at the Carmel home, 1212 N. Belgrade Road. The topic will be: Approaching Menopause. Please contact Bracha if you would like to schedule a time to meet with her privately when she is here, email@example.com
Light up the Night – Join AMIT on Motzei Shabbos, December 24 at 8:00 PM at 504 Hermleigh Road. Bring something that lights – most creative wins! Artisanal pizza, Sufganiot from Satori and sundae bar. Couvert: $35 / person, $75 / couple. Proceeds will benefit Ellen's Kids Project. Questions? Contact Robbie 410-484-2223.
The Grinch who Stole Chanukah: Lighting with Stolen Olive Oil – Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rav Ahron Lopiansky. Monday, December 26. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM, Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Shlock Rock Chanukah Concert – Hosted by the Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy of Fine Arts at the SSJC. Monday, December 26. 6:30 PM (Doors open at 6:00 PM).Tickets start at $10 and special discounts for children and families. Amazing VIP ticket package. Find out more at LBJA.org
GWCK Chanukah Celebration – Monday, December 26, 7:00 PM. Bring your family to celebrate Chanukah with the Greater Washington Community Kollel family. Guest speaker, Rabbi Ari Storch, for adults; special performance by Kohl's Comedy Magic for kids; live music, dancing, and hot Chanukah refreshments! At GWCK, 10900 Lockwood Drive.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, December 28, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* LinkedIn Training – Free webinar by Lisa Rangel on Tuesday, December 27 and Thursday, December 29. Info and sign up at http://chameleonresumes.com/li-12-2016/
* Federal Jobs – Three free webinars–overview, networking, and interviewing. Monday, January 9. Info and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
Saving a Life, but at What Risk? Organ Donation in Halacha – Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Monday, January 2. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM, Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Camp Shoresh Open House – Sunday, January 15, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 2428 Pleasant View Road, Adamstown, MD 21710. For questions or to RSVP for the Open House, 410-358-8571 or email@example.com or visit www.shoresh.com
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – In addition to its food assistance initiatives, Yad Yehuda provides a wide range of emergency relief programs to our brethren throughout the Greater Washington area. For those who qualify, assistance may be provided to avoid eviction or the cut off of utilities, to obtain interest-free loans, or to receive a dignified burial. Yad Yehuda's wide range of services support hundreds of individuals and families, and are essential to our communal safety net. To learn more and to donate, please go to http://www.yadyehuda.org/financial-assistance.html
"O Chanukah, O Chanukah, come light the Menorah," … and please, take the time to consider making a food contribution to the Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda. Let's spread the light of Chanukah by sharing our joy with those who will benefit from our thoughtfulness and generosity. The CKP welcomes donations of kosher, non-perishable food items (well within the use-by date) in factory sealed, non-breakable containers CKP collection boxes can be found at community Shul and school locations.
Franco Foundation End-of-Year Appeal – Since it was launched 19 years ago, the Franco Foundation has been helping, in communities across the Greater Washington region, hundreds of individuals and families in very tight circumstances, unemployed, facing eviction, or otherwise unable to make ends meet. 100 percent of your donation goes to those in need. Send your donations to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902 or use paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Silver Spring Eruv Association Appeal
Please help maintain the Eruv by sending in your annual contribution. Your donations are the only source of funding for the Eruv. The suggested amount is $54 per household. (More or less is also accepted.) Checks should be made payable to "YISE Eruv Fund" to be tax deductible. They should be mailed directly to SSEA at (NEW ADDRESS) 707 Lamberton Dr. Silver Spring, MD 20902. For more information, visit www.yise.org/eruv or contact email@example.com
As you contemplate your year-end giving, please consider YISE as a worthy candidate for your gift.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Dec. 25 – Chanukah Monday, Dec. 26 – Chanukah Tuesday, Dec. 27 – Chanukah Wed., Dec. 28 – Chanukah Thurs., Dec. 29 – Chanukah Friday, Dec. 30 – Chanukah/Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10
Arcola 4:40 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:42 PM
December 30-31, 2016 – 2 Teves 5777
Parshas Miketz – Chanukah
Light Candles by 4:37 – Havdalah 5:40
* Light Candles by 4:37
Arcola: 3:00, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:40
Sunday, December 25 A Fertility Journey: Panel Discussion 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, YISE Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 31 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, YISE Social Hall
Sunday, January 22 Joint YISE/KMS Clothing Drive
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 28 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager