Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 30-31, 2015 – 18 Cheshvan 5776 – Parshas Vayera
Light Candles by 5:51 – Havdalah 6:50
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dr. Jerry Hawk and family in memory of his father, Herschey Hawk.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the engagement of her grandson Chaim Kahana, son of Rabbi & Mrs. Nachman Kahana to Ruchama Levovitz of Lakewood, NJ.
* Hannah Gershon on the engagement of her grandson, Sammy, son of Martine & Dr.Raphael Gershon of Atlanta to Elisheva Matanky, daughter of Margaret & Rabbi Leonard Matanky of Chicago .
* Tamara & Ivor Jacobs on the birth a son. Mazal tov to big brother Yishai, grandparents Nati & Anita Jacobs of Manchester, UK and Walter Avdaloff and Ana Schwartzman of Santiago, Chile. The Shalom Zachor will take place at 912 Hoyt Street at 8:45 PM.
* Melanie & Sandy Karlin on the engagement of their son Benjy to Dalya Lerner, daughter of Sharon & Shlomo Lerner of Sharon, MA. Mazal Tov to Benjy's siblings, Sarah & Matthew and Shayna & Raphael, to his grandparents, Charles Karlin and Dolores & Leonard Schwartz, and to his nephews, Yakov Gedaliah, Akiva and Meir.
* Susan & Maurie Rosenberg on the birth of a granddaughter, Rachael Tehilla, born to Aliza & Aron Rosenberg of Boston, MA.
* Miri & Dror Shoshani on the birth of daughter.
* Ruth Rochel & Yitz Stokes on the marriage of her niece, Sarah Elizabeth Norby of Hardin, Montana to Matthias Wilson of Colorado Springs. Mazal Tov also to all the aunts, uncles. and cousins.
* Isaac Moses on the passing of his mother, Susan Moses. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva will be observed in Philadelphia through Monday and at his home, 11809 Kemp Mill Road, from Monday evening through Thursday morning.
* Light Candles by 5:51
Arcola: 5:55 University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:50 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:50
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour.
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Miri & Dror Shoshani in honor of the birth of their daughter.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Hannah & Paul Berner, 10801 Cavalier Drive. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall
YISE Programs and Listings
Simply Tsfat Concert – Motzei Shabbos, October 31, 8:00 PM at YISE. General admission tickets $15 at the door. Family ticket package $35 maximum. Sponsorship $100 – includes two tickets. Light refreshments.
Curious about the Keilim Mikvah – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a class on Sunday morning, November 1 at 11:00 AM in the YISE Social Hall (and, weather permitting, continue outside) to explain the Halachos behind its construction. He will also give a class Monday, November 9 at 8:00 PM to review the Halachos of its proper use.
Late Maariv – There will be a Maariv Minyan in the Large Beis Medrash at 7:30 PM, Monday through Thursday evenings starting November 2.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, November 2, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM. 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Going Deep: The Meaning of the Shema – Shiurim with Rabbi Rosenbaum for men and women concludes on Monday night, November 2 from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM in the large Social Hall. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more informattion, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday, November 6, at 4:45 in the Arcola Social Hall. Children participate during Kabbalas Shabbos. During Maariv there will be a special children's storytime nearby.
Addiction: How do you recognize it and where do you find help in our community? Learn from a panel of treatment professionals, an Al-Anon member, and someone who faced a family member's addiction. Opening remarks by YISE Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Cosponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, all of the synagogues in Kemp Mill, and several other Jewish organizations and schools. Sunday, November 8, 10:30 AM – 12:00 noon in the YISE Social Hall.
Refuah Shleima to Mrs. Sylvia Friedman (Tzivia Bas Shaindel). She is recuperating at the Hebrew Home from a fall.
In light of the terrifying daily events occuring in Israel, it is incumbent upon all of Klal Yisrael to pray and do meritorious deeds as a merit for the safety of our brothers and sisters. Our weekday Minyanim are reciting Psalms 121 and 130. Those who would like to say Tehillim privately can also recite 20, 83, and 142, among many others. May Hakadosh Baruch Hu answer our prayers, watch over the State of Israel and Jews all around the World, and bring the ultimate redemption speedily in our day.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes – Motzei Shabbos, November 14 at 7:30 PM. SOLD OUT!!!
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Mazal Tov to former members, Gita & Charles Siegman on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Menachem Binyamin, son of Naomi & Ari Zivotofsky of Beit Shemesh, Israel.
Unveiling for Selma Blitzstein, this Sunday, November l, l0:00 AM at the Garden of Remembrance in Clarksburg, MD.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact email@example.com
In Times Such As These: What Can We Do? – 13th Annual Yahrzeit Rachel Imeinu Video at SEHC, October 31, 8:15 PM. For women and girls only. Suggested donation is $10. All proceeds go to Aniyei Eretz Yisroel. For more info please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 4, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 870. Contact email@example.com to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
GWCK VIP Trip to Lakewood – Men's VIP trip to Lakewood, NJ for "A Day of Learning and Inspiration." Highlights include a learning session together with thousands of Torah scholars, an exclusive tour of Beis Medrash Gevoha campus, and much more! Sunday, November 8, departing 7:00 AM and returning (estimated) 10:30 PM. $50 cost includes transportation, breakfast, snacks, and lunch. Reservations required and space is limited. To RSVP or for more info, contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at 513-313-4899 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Berman Hebrew Academy invites you to take a tour or attend one of their informational sessions. For more information and to RSVP visit www.mjbha.org Admissions Events or contact Admissions Director Elana Stein at 301-962-9400, x5630 or email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Use LinkedIn to Get Hired – Free webinar, Tuesday, November 3, 12:00 Noon. Info and register at http://www.allthingscareer.com/linkedin
* Applying for Jobs – Tips of a Former Recruiter – Free webinar, Wednesday, November 4, 12:30 PM to 1:15 PM. Replays available for 3 days . Info and register at http://www.sixfigurestart.com/about/upcoming-events/
The Matchmaker – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy, Moshe H. Levinson Upper School HADAS. Motzei Shabbos, November 21, 8:00 PM and Sunday, November 22, 2:00 PM. Tickets: Students/seniors $5.00, Adults $7.00. For more information: contact Eliana Elikan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Uri Farber at email@example.com
TGN'S Gemara Skills Class – Led by Mr. Chaim Goldstein studying the fifth Perek of Maseches Brochos, which contains key laws concerning Shemoneh Esrei, as well as strategies for successful prayer. Meets Sunday evenings: 7:15 PM – 8:15 PM at SEHC. For more information contact Rabbi Shmuel Leigh at 301-732 1773 director goldennetwork.org
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information contact Mary Murphy at 301-962-0820 or go to www.seniorconnectionmc.org
Remember to change your clocks: "Fall Back" one hour.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 1 Monday, November 2 Tuesday, November 3 Wednesday, November 4 Thursday, November 5 Friday, November 6
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:50 4:50, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:50, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:50, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:50, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:48 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:13 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:22 PM
November 6-7, 2015 – 25 Cheshvan 5776
Parshas Chayei Sarah – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:44 – Havdalah 5:43
* Light Candles by 4:44
Arcola: 4:45, Ruach University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:43
Motzei Shabbos, October 31 Simply Tsfat Concert, 8:00 PM
Sunday, November 1 Curious about the Keilim Mikvah, 11:00 AM
Wednesday, November 4 Senior Lunch with Harp Concert.
Friday, November 6 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 7 First Dor L'Dor of the Season, 6:45 PM
Sunday, November 8 Addiction Panel, 10:30 AM
Monday, November 9 Keilim Mikvah Class, 8:00 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 14 Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes
Shabbos, November 20-21 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Meir Goldwicht
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 4 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director