Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 18-19, 2013 – 15 Cheshvan 5774 – Parshas Vayera
Light Candles by 6:06 – Havdalah 7:04
YISE proudly welcomes our Assistant Rabbi, Rabbi Binyamin Silver, and his wife, Esti.
There will be a Kiddush in honor of the Silvers following the 8:45 Main Minyan next Shabbos, October 26.
* Light Candles by 6:06
* Mincha 6:10, 6:05 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:50 (Sephardi), 6:05 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:04
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Sharon & Jeffrey Augenbaum, in honor of their son Avi's Bar Mitzvah.
* Shabbos Shiurim:
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:05 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:05 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:20 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Sharon & Jeffrey Augenbaum on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Avi. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Murray Augenbaum and Claire Kasman. Mazal Tov to siblings Dahlia & Dovid, Debby & Ari and Esti & Moshe and to Aunt Bonnie, Uncle Heshy, Cousin Dovid, nieces and nephews.
* Debbie & Marc Katz on the marriage of their son Ezra to Nechama Berlove, daughter of Janet & Rabbi Moshe Berlove of Cincinnati. Mazal Tov also Ezra's siblings Josh & Sara, Rafi and Benjy.
* Gail & Chaim Sanders on the birth of granddaughter to Dvora & Aryeh Sanders of Ramat Bet Shemesh.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Will commence with the new topic "Litigation in Secular Courts"- Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
Please park on the Ben Yehuda side of the parking lot. The Shopping Center Management requests that YISE members abide by the parking agreement and not park on the CVS side.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – 16 months and up, and their parents or care givers with Morah Elise Schloss. Join us for: Puppets and Parsha Stories, Singing and Movement, Shabbos Party, Socialization, Art Experiences, Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through Friday, December 20. (No classes October 18.) Register by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kiddush in Honor of The Silvers – We are asking for sponsors for the Kiddush welcoming the Silvers to our Shul. The Kiddush will take place following the 8:45 Main Minyan on October 26 (Chayei Sarah). Please send sponsorships to Simi Franco at email@example.com (the deadline to participate is Wednesday, October 23).
Save the Date – Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Zushe Blech, Rav Ha'Machshir, Earth Kosher, Regional Director for Kashrus, the OU,Author, Kosher Food Production. Shabbos, November 1-2.
Save the Date – A Little-known Story of Courage and Ingenuity – Commemorating the 75th Anniversary of Kristallnacht. Sunday, November 10, at 7:30 PM at YISE.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our rea, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com.
Post Government Shutdown Information
It is never easy to miss a paycheck. This is particularly true when we are coming off of a Yom Tov season. Individuals who were affected by the government shutdown and are concerned about being able to meet their financial needs should please feel free to contact me. All discussions will be confidential. I can be reached by phone at 301-593-4465, ext. 405, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Hebrew Free Loan Association – Did the government furlough/sequester impact your financial life? Do you have debts to pay or projects to begin? Your community may be able to help. The Hebrew Free Loan Association has been helping Jews in the Washington metropolitan area achieve their goals since 1910. HFLA provides interest free personal and/or student loans to qualified members of the Jewish community. Visit our website: http://hebrewfreeloandc.org or call 301-770-4836. You may also contact Dean Grayson at 301-908-2645.
Franco Foundation offers interest-free loans – Federal government workers whose paychecks were delayed because of the shutdown may apply for interest-free loans from the Franco Foundation to help tide them over until they receive their back pay. Additional sponsors for this project are welcome. For more information please contact Allan Franco at email@example.com.
Community Safety Net – Tough times are driving more people for financial assistance from the Tomchei Shabbos of the Yehudah Mond Foundation. Your monthly pledge provides steady income to meet year round needs. For details on contributing by phone, mail, or internet go to http://yehudamondfoundation.org.
The Friday Evening Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 6:10 PM in large Arcola Social Hall.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Kemp Mill Pirchei! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to join us this Shabbos at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM.
Women's Discussion Group – 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Bnei Akiva of Silver Spring is hosting a communal Seudat Shlishit this Shabbos, October 19, at KMS after Mincha.
Where Am I Headed? Connecting to Our Spiritual GPS? – Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is sponsoring the annual Rochel Imeinu Yahrzeit event with Rebbetzin Tehilla Jaeger and Rebbetzin Tzipora Heller. Motzei Shabbos, October 19, 8:30 PM, at SEHC. $10 women, $8 students.
The Ger Tzedek of Vilna: Real or Imaginary? – Woodside Synagogue invites the Community to a Lecture by Rabbi Dr. Shnayer Leiman on Motzei Shabbos, October 19, 8:45 PM.
Reb Elimelech and the Chassidic Legacy of Brotherhood – Exclusive showing of Rabbi Hanoch Teller's new documentary. Motzei Shabbos, October 19, 8:45 PM. Young Israel-Ezras Israel of Potomac. Rabbi Teller will give an introduction before the film. $10 with advance reservation at www.YIEIP.org or $15 at door.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Event will take place on Sunday, October 20, at 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom. Celebrating the work of BCGW and honoring Dr. Roger Packer and Dr. Kurt Newman of Childrens National Medical Center. Presenting the Bernice Fishman Community Service Award to Mrs. Miriam Friedman of Kemp Mill. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org.
The Running Rabbi: From Morbid Obesity to the Marine Corps Marathon – Come hear Rabbi Eli Glaser's inspiring and entertaining story of his life-transforming 100-pound weight loss and how he has dedicated his life to educating and enabling other Jews to eat healthy, lose weight and change their relationship with food. Sunday, October 20 at OSTNS. Rabbi Glaser and his wife, Zakah, are maintaining a combined 250-pound weight loss for more than a decade and are the founders and directors of www.soveya.com.
Support the Soldiers of the IDF – A representive of the grassroots organization Standing Together, www.stogether.org, will be speaking at the home of Rachel & Ari Pinchot (712 Hermleigh Rd), on Tuesday, October 22, at 8:00 PM. Standing Together is a non-profit group dedicated to supporting Israeli soldiers on active duty. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hearing Aid Re-use Project (HARP) – Donate your inherited or obsolete hearing aids (behind the ear types only) so that others in our community might try to reprogram and re-use them, thereby saving big bucks. For more information, to donate, or to sign up on a waiting list, contact Jack.Calman@post.harvard.edu.
Job Assist Events:
* 7 Tips for Veterans Applying for Civilian Federal Employment – Free webinar. Wednesday, October 23, 2:30 PM – 3:00 PM. Register at www.resume-place.com.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 20 Monday, October 21 Tuesday, October 22 Wednesday, October 23 Thursday, October 24 Friday, October 25
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 6:05 6:05 6:05 6:05 6:05 See Shabbos schedule
University 6:05 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:36 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:07 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:23 PM
October 25-26, 2013 – 22 Cheshvan 5774
Parshas Chayei Sarah
Light Candles by 5:57 – Havdalah 6:55
* Light Candles by 5:57
* Mincha 6:00, 5:55 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:40 (Sephardi), 5:55 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:55
Shabbos, October 19 Bar Mitzvah of Avi Augenbaum, 8:45 Minyan
Monday, October 21 The Man With the Truck, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Tuesday, October 22 Elzee, 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Monday, October 28 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon to 6:00 PM
Shabbos, November 1-2 Scholar in Residence – Rabbi Zushe Blech
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 23, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director