Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 7-8, 2014 – 15 Cheshvan 5775 – Parshas Vayera
Light Candles by 4:43 – Havdalah 5:42
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Tsipi & Jerry Hawk in memory of Jerry's father, Herschey Hawk, Tzvi Elazar Ben Harav Yeshaya, on the occasion of his first Yahrtzeit.
* Light Candles by 4:43
Arcola: 4:45, 4:45 (Ruach) University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:42
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:55 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:10 PM.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Florence Avigan on the engagement of her granddaughter, Sara Barzel to Sholem Aspir. Parents are Joy & Moti Barzel of Jerusalem. Mazal tov also to aunt & uncle, Karen & Howie Schulman and the whole Mishpacha.
* Sara & Gabe Evans on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Bonnie & Ira Evans and Suzanne & David Jacobson, and the extended family. The Shalom Zachor will take place at 1111 University Towers, Apt. 719 at 8:00 PM.
* Linda & Michael Kaiser on the birth of a granddaughter, Kira Yael, born to Tammy & Josh Levin.
* Judy & Mitch Taragin on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Elaine & Jerry Taragin and Gail & Barry Mahler, and to big brother Yitz and big sister Shayna. The Shalom Zachor will be held in the 1121 University Towers Party Room, (building closer to Shul) from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Emile Berk, Carolyn Fanaroff, Esther & Yosef Lindell.
Ruach Minyan this Week – Friday, November 7, at 4:45 in the Arcola Social Hall.While there is no formal children's program, all Daveners are warmly welcomed to join and bring in Shabbos with us.
Starting this Week: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, November 8, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Bela & Ephraim Unell in memory of Bela's grandmother. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Park Cleanup sponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA in conjunction with Friends of Sligo Creek Park. Come do a mitzvah! Meet at the steps to CVS in the Kemp Mill Park on Sunday, November 9, anytime between 11:00 AM – 1:00PM. Bags & gloves will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com for more information.
Fostering Creativity in Jewish Children – A YISE Youth Parent Education Event. Ms. Suzy Israel and Mrs. Rachel Handloff, co-principals of the MJBHA Lower School, will offer important information and light hearted insights. Refreshments will be served. YISE Social Hall, Sunday, November 9 at 8:00 PM.
Next Shabbos, November 14-15: Scholar-in-Residence – Chazzan Sherwood Goffin: Chazzan/Baal Tefillah, Lincoln Square Synagogue; Instructor and Director of Outreach, Belz School of Jewish Music at Yeshiva University; Past President, Cantorial Council of America.
* Friday, 4:40 PM – Kabbalas Shabbos and Maariv
* Friday night, 8:30 PM: The 3,000 Year-old Historical Development of Jewish Music and our Musical Nusach Hatefillah
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis: The Mesorah of our Musical Nusach Hatefillah in Halacha and Tradition, followed by Musaf, Kiddush follows
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
End of life issues, from the Perspectives of Halacha and Medicine, were the focus of an October 26 program featuring Rabbi Rosenbaum and Dr. Theo Heller. An audio file of the program, sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the Chesed Committees of Kemp Mill, is available at http://audio.yise.org/shiur-1005923.html. Topics covered included starting, continuing, and ending life support.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men at Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Beis Medrash.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes! YISE Social Hall, Motzei Shabbos, November 15, 7:30 PM. For women/girls only, and is meant for mothers and daughters, sisters, or friends to bond over Torah and home made milkshakes. We will supply the milkshakes and the nail polish. All ages are welcome. We will lead off with a 15 minute D'var Torah by Mrs. Zakem. Cost: $5.00 per person, $20.00 max per family. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 10:30 AM, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
The Pink Panther – Berman Hebrew Academy Upper School HADAS, Saturday, November 8, 8:30 PM and Sunday, November 9, 3:00 PM. MJBHA, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. Tickets: Students/Seniors $7.00, Adults $10.00. Be an angel and sponsor our event. For details, contact Rena Fruchter at email@example.com
When Leadership Fails: Approaching Difficult Conversations with your Child about Flawed Leadership – Featuring renowned speaker, Dr. David Pelcovitz. Wednesday, November 12, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM. at MJBHA.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 12, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
In a Time of Open Miracles What Can We Do? – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proud to host The Rochel Imeinu Yahrzeit Event. Motzei Shabbos, November 15, 8:00 PM Tehillim, 8:30 PM video with Rebbetzin Tzipora Heller and Rebbetzin Tehilla Jaeger. SEHC. For more information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347. $10 – all proceeds go to the Aniyei Eretz Yisrael.
Bikur Cholim Community Event – Women's Health Series featuring sessions on a variety of topics led by experts in their fields. "Managing Stress: The Tool Kit for Everyday Living." Sunday, November 16, 10:00 AM at the Turitz home, 504 Hermleigh Road.
GWCK Gala Dinner – Continue the legacy of Rabbi Kalman Winter, ZT"L and celebrate our 7th year of Jewish Outreach and Education. Honoring Debbie & Dr. Marc Katz and Ruth & Rabbi Stephen Baars. Sunday, November 16, 5:00 PM at Beth Sholom. For more information: www.gwckollel.org or email@example.com
Berman Hebrew Academy Senior Class Leaf Raking – If you need someone to rake your leaves, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Prices start at around $60+.
Job Assist Events:
* JobSeekers 50+ – Series of 5 classes starts November 10. Parklawn Drive, Rockville. Info and register at http://www.accessjca.org/news-events/
* Web Apps for Beginners – Series of 6 classes starts November 17. Online. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
Women and Girls' Self Defense and TKD – Fun, Confidence, Personal Security, Free trial classes. Meets Sundays at JEK Tae Kwon Do, 10400 Lockwood Drive. Please call Elaine Rubin for details 301-681-4000.
Hearing Aid Re-use Project (HARP). Donate your inherited or obsolete hearing aids (behind the ear types only) so that others in our community might try to reprogram and re-use them, thereby saving big bucks. They are too expensive to discard. For more info, to donate, or to sign up on a waiting list, contact Jack.Calman@post.harvard.edu
Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) Annual Appeal
The Eruv's annual appeal is in progress. To cover the cost of recent repairs and keep the Eruv functioning, we need your contributions. The suggested annual contribution is $54 per household. The Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) is not (yet) a 501(c)(3) organization. For your donation to be tax-deductible, make your check payable to: YISE Eruv Fund. Please mail your check to: SSEA, 11113 Lombardy Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901. Please do not mail your check to the shul and please do not donate on-line. Questions? SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 9 Monday, November 10 Tuesday, November 11 Wednesday, November 12 Thursday, November 13 Friday, November 14
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:56 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:18 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:23 PM
November 14-15, 2014 – 22 Cheshvan 5775
Parshas Chayei Sarah
Light Candles by 4:36 – Havdalah 5:37
* Light Candles by 4:36
Arcola: 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:37
Friday, November 7 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 8 First Dor L'Dor of the season, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, November 10 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon – 6:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, November 14-15 Scholar-in-Residence – Chazzan Sherwood Goffin
Monday, November 17 Man With The Truck, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 12 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director