Download the November 2-3 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 2-3, 2012 – Parshas Vayera – 18 Cheshvan 5773
Light Candles by 5:47 Havdalah 6:46
* Light Candles by 5:47
* Mincha 5:50 (Arcola & Univ.), 5:45 (Sephardi)
* Ruach Minyan 5:50 (Arcola Social Hall)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:30 (Sephardi), 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:46
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour
* 8:45 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Rabbi Josh Blaustein
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9 AM in small Youth Room behind the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharis.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet until further notice.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur at 5:15 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
* Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick child(ren) up promptly.
* The Youth Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Tova Rosenthal in honor of the girls of the Youth Minyan and Judy, Moshe, Herschel, Yehoshua, and Tova Mehlman in honor of the anniversary of Yehudah's Bar Mitzvah.
YISE and The Jewish War Veterans of America
A Veterans' Day Program
Sunday, November 11 at 7:30 PM at YISE
Discussion with YISE veterans of the US Armed Forces who served "under-fire."
* Lt. Lawrence Radkoswky, US Marine Corps & Navy (WWII & Korean War)
* Cpl. Marvin Konick, US Army (WWII)
* Lt. Colonel Harold Axelrod, US Army (Vietnam War)
* Major Howard Kern, US Air Force (Gulf War)
Facilitated by Lt. Colonel Sheldon Goldberg, US Air Force (Vietnam War), National Executive Committee for Department of Maryland, Jewish War Veterans of America
* Bonnie & Ira Evans on the marriage of their son Gabriel to Sara Jacobson, daughter of Suzanne & David Jacobson of Houston, TX.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a grandson to their children, Tamar & Rabbi Michoel Lerner, of Kiryat Sefer. Mazal Tov also to great-grandmother Dena Gerber of Baltimore.
* Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the birth of a grandson, Menachem Mendel, to their children Tova & Doniel Weinstein of Passaic, NJ. Mazal Tov to the great-grandparents, Janet Rottenberg and Shirley & Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Sundays at 8:30 PM, at his home. For more information: email@example.com.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us for the important and relevant topic of "The Mitzva of Lending and Prohibition of Interest: Common Issues." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
PARKING: Effective December 1, the Shul has a new parking arrangement with the Shopping Center. We will no longer be renting parking from the Pool. Our center parking will be to the side and behind Ben Yehuda (not in front of the businesses on that side). The center does not want us parking in front of CVS. It is very important for the success of this new parking arrangement, which costs significantly less than the arrangement with the Pool, that everyone park in the proper location. If you have any questions, please contact our president, Dr. Marc Katz.
QUIET! This is what is needed in the lower lobby during the 8 AM Minyan. Voices of adult conversations and boisterous children have been disturbing the sanctity of the Minyan, particularly when the door is open. PLEASE talk in soft voices, and please supervise your children.
Yasher Koach to the Power Rangers! Thanks to all generator owners who answered the call to help others in our community keep their electronics charged during the recent hurricane. In order to prepare for future weather and power emergencies, the Chesed Committee would like to keep updating the list so it can be available quickly any time it may be needed. If you already volunteered during Hurricane Sandy, you don't need to do anything. If you want to add your name to the list for future emergencies, please email Beth Greene Perera at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email, and phone number so she can add your name to the list.
Come and Learn Jewish History – Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee co-sponsor Rabbi Koss speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, November 5, 1:30-2:30 PM at Marvin Konick's, 1111 University Blvd, Apt. 215. Light refreshments served. For more information: Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a new program in collaboration with Bikur Cholim and other services to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, mskarlin@ gmail.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Job Assist Events:
* How To Turn Networking Into Actual Business. Four free online workshops, starting Monday, Nov. 5, at 7 PM. For info and to register: http://prescopresco.com/business-advice/how-to-turnnetworking- into-actual-business-free-online-workshop-series/.
* Online Computer Training – Starting Monday, November 5. Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 for Beginners and Adobe Illustrator CS5 Essentials. Sponsored by OU. Info and register: www.oujobs. org.
* The Brand Is You: Market Yourself with LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Google. Featuring Cory Lebson. Monday, November 12, 7:30-9 PM at KMS. Sponsored by JobAssist. To reserve a seat, DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
Community Programs and Listings
Bnei Akiva for 3-6 graders – this Shabbat, Nov 3, Parshat Vayera at KMS at 4:20 PM, Walking groups leave YISE at 3:50 PM.
Father-Son Learning – Avos u Bonim program will begin Motzei Shabbos, November 3, 7:30-8:30 PM, at the Yeshiva Boys Division. Followed by pizza, raffles, and prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh Ben Yehoshua Yakir.
The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute Presents:
* The Yarzheit of Rochel Imeinu Video Presentation, "How to Live with Simchas HaChaim," featuring Rebbetzin Tehilla Jaeger and Mrs.Tzipora Heller, Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 3rd, Southeast Hebrew Congregation, 8 PM. Donation $10 women, $8 students.
* Rabbi Dovid Katzenstein, Principal of Boys Yeshiva of Greater Washington, "An in Depth Exploration of Shabbos," Sunday evenings at the Boys Yeshiva of Greater Washington at 8 PM, Tuition: $36 for 6 shiurim.
* Rabbi Zev Katz, Menahel of Girls Yeshiva of Greater Washington, "Tehillim," Sunday mornings at the home of Mrs. Shuli Kleinman, 713 Hermleigh Rd., at 10 AM.
* For more information: Sorah Rivkah Goodman, 301-681-6347.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington's Annual Event – Sunday, November 4 at 10 AM at KMS. Honorees are Sara Glashofer, Lori Greenberg Tolchin and Irit Rasooly Goldman. For more information and to make a reservation: www.bikurcholimgw.org or info@ bikurcholimgw.org.
AMIT Birah Chapter – It's All in the Presentation! Tricks for the Table. Demonstration by Alana Isenberg. Monday, November 12, 7:30 – 9:30 PM at the home of Donna Lawrence, 907 Annmore Dr. Surprise guest speaker. Become a member if you are not one already ($36) plus couvert of $10. Please contact Miriam Friedman to RSVP/ more info. firstname.lastname@example.org or AMIT office: 410-484-2223.
JobKatif Benefit Concert, "Music and the Message of Gratitude" Motzei Shabbos, November 17, 8:30 PM, Beth Tfiloh Mintzes Theater, 3300 Old Court Road, 4 dynamic Rabbis, 12 accomplished musicians, directed by Avraham Rosenblum of the Diaspora Band. Adults $36 and Children (under 18) $18. For ticket and sponsor information 410-409- 8967 or email@example.com.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. TFor more information go to www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Marcia Custer at 301-962-0820.
Eitan Khaldar is running the Miami Marathon on January 27 for Chai Lifeline in order to raise money for Camp Simcha and Camp Simcha Special. To sponsor Eitan, please send check to Chai Lifeline with Eitan Khaldar in the memo, to 11305 Monticello Ave., SS, MD 20902.
The Week Ahead Sunday November 4 Monday November 5 Tuesday November 6 Wednesday November 7 Thursday November 8 Friday November 9
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 See Shabbos Schedule
University 4:45 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:52 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:15 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:22 PM
November 9-10, 2012
Parshas Chayei Sarah – Mevorchim Hachodesh
25 Cheshvan 5773
Light Candles by 4:40 Havdalah 5:40
* Light Candles by 4:40
* Mincha 4:40 (Arcola & Univ.), 4:35 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:20 (Sephardi), 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:40
Wednesday, Nov. 7 Senior Lunch, Arcola, 12 Noon
Saturday, Nov. 10 Yosef Kugler's Bar Mitzvah
Saturday, Nov. 10 Dor l'Dor, 7:00 PM
Sunday, Nov. 11 Adult Ed. Cmte. Veterans' Day Program
Tuesday, Nov. 13 Elzee's, Arcola, 11 AM to 9 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Nov. 7, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday, 9 AM – 5 PM and Friday 9 AM – 1 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director