Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shuvah Shorts
September 14 – 15, 2018 – 6 Tishrei 5779 – Parshas Vayelech – Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 7:00 – Havdalah 7:57
September 18-19, 2018 – 10 Tishrei 5779 – Yom Kippur – Light Candles by 6:53 – Havdalah 7:50
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dalia and Hillel Weiss to thank the members of the community for the kind words, donations, calls and visits in memory of Dalia's beloved mother, Tova Stein A”H (Tova bas Gershon Chanoch).
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Tzvi, to their grandchildren Shoshana & Binyamin Weinstein of Jerusalem, Israel and Passaic, NJ.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the engagement of their granddaughter, Leora Meyers, daughter of Hadassa & Dr. Oren Meyers of Cleveland, to Natanel Esraeilian, son of Elle & Dr. Ben Esraeilian of Cleveland.
* Light Candles by 7:00
There will be a special Ruach Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. There will also be a regular Minyan in the Social Hall.
Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:30 Sephardi: 6:20 Nusach Sefard: 6:30
* Shabbos Shuvah Drasha: 6:55
* Shabbos Ends: 7:57
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 5:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shabbos Shuvah Drasha 6:55 PM, following Mincha.
Yom Kippur Schedule
A = Ashkenazi – Belonofsky Sanctuary & Social Hall
S = Sephardi – Beis Medrash, NS = Nusach Sefard – University Towers
Tuesday Night, September 18:
* Mincha – A, S, NS 3:00
* Light Candles by 6:53
* Kol Nidre – A, S, NS 6:55
Wednesday, September 19:
* Shacharis – A, S, NS 8:00
* Yizkor – NS 9:50
* Yizkor – A 10:45
* Yom Kippur Ends 7:50
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume October 9. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume October 10.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony, will resume October 3.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM, will resume October 9. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Advice with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall at 7:30 PM.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361, will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, will resume October 9.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: Sefer Yonah, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume October 9.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume October 10.
YISE Programs and Listings
Nusach Sefard Yom Kippur Help Needed – If you are willing to help set up the University Towers Party Room on Erev Yom Kippur, please email Joshua Rokach at firstname.lastname@example.org for the time to meet at YISE.
Lulav Order Deadline was Friday. If you have questions about your order, contact Josh Breitstein at email@example.com or 301-346-7838. Pick up your order at YISE on Thursday, September 20 from 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
Ashkenazi Selichos Schedule: All Minyanim are Selichos followed by Shacharis. 1st & 3rd Minyanim are in the Social Hall and 2nd & 4th are in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Special Shabbos Shuvah Davening – We are pleased to have Dovi Ziffer with us for Shabbos Shuvah. He will lead a Ruach Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary Friday night (a standard Minyan will be held downstairs in the Social Hall for those who would prefer it) and he and Yechiel Shulman will lead the davening at the 8:45 Main Minyan.
Rabbi Yissocher Frand Annual Teshuva Drasha – The Greater Washington Jewish Community is invited to the inspiring annual Teshuva Drasha by world-renown lecturer Rabbi Yissocher Frand. Monday, September 17, the night before Yom Kippur, at 8:00 PM at YISE. Men and women are invited. For more information, please contact Rabbi Avraham Rappaport 443-790-6541.
Help Build the New Sukkah – We have a beautiful, new Sukkah, but we need volunteers to help build it on Thursday, September 20 (the day after Yom Kippur), at 5:00 PM. Contact Stuart Cohen at 301-943-5153 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help. We especially welcome people who plan to use the sukkah. No tools needed.
Simchas Torah Kiddushes – Sponsors needed for the YISE Gala Simchas Torah Kiddushes on Simchas Torah morning, October 2, following both the Hashkamah Minyan and the Main Minyan. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com or 301-593-4465 x403. Suggested donation: $36 Deadline: Thursday, September 27.
Annual Barbecue Postponed – Due to the weather forecast for Sunday, the YISE Annual BBQ has been POSTPONED. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. Please sign in to your Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill account because we have an immediate need. All the details are listed. If you are interested in helping out whenever you can, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or Melanie Karlin at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or Melanie Karlin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Shomrai Preschool Job Opportunity
Do you love the idea of working with children in a warm, nurturing environment alongside a dedicated, talented staff, on a schedule that works for your lifestyle? Then being a substitute teacher at Shomrai Preschool is the perfect job for you! For more information and to apply, please contact Suri Kinzbrunnner at email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Shabbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018-2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sukkah Hop – Be a part of one of the most popular youth events of the year! Children are divided by age and gender, walk with teen leaders and enjoy a pareve, nut free, snack in your sukkah. Wanted: 20 families, within a few blocks of YISE, to open their sukkahs for our youth. Wanted: 10-12 teens to help lead a group to roughly 5 houses, and ending at the Ben Yehuda Sukkah.
Simchas Torah – Help us increase the Simcha for our youth! Wanted: 4 teens to help with candy distribution in the evening. Wanted: 6 – 8 teens with lots of RUACH to lead “Simcha dancing” with our young children during Hakafos.
Community service hours are available for all teen leaders.
Contact Brett Kugler at email@example.com for more details and to sign up!
Community Programs and Listings
Pirchei is Coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei takes place on Shabbos afternoon in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00-4:55. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, September 15, at 1121 University Blvd. W, Apt. 516, at 4:30 PM.
Bnei Akiva Snif – For one hour on Shabbos afternoon, kids grades 2-6 will partake in playing games, and learn about the State of Israel and the weekly Parsha. The first Snif will take place this Shabbos, September 8, at KMS one hour before Mincha, from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Walking groups from YISE will be leaving at 5:40PM.
Men's Mikvah Use for High Holidays – The Mkvah Emunah Society is pleased to announce that The Wallerstein Mikvah, 913 Grays Lane, will be open for men's use on Erev Yom Kippur, Tuesday September 18, from 7:30 AM – 2:30 PM. Please arrive no later than 2:15 PM. Please bring your own towel. Showering before-hand would be appreciated and helpful.
Fees: $20 each time for men; $10 each time for children and full-time students. Cash or checks only. Full Members of MES ($360 or more per year) are entitled to free use. Additional contributions to support MES are appreciated. Volunteers are needed: If you can help out at the Wallerstein Mikvah, please contact Howie Schulman at email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 26, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Annual Sukkos Kumzits for Women – Led by the musically-talented Rebbetzin Dahlia Topolosky. Please join us at the home of Nancy Mehlman, 925 Grays Lane, Wednesday evening, September 26 at 9:00 PM. Feel free to bring your own instruments in addition to your beautiful voices and Ruach and be ready to sing your heart out! Light refreshments will be served. Event will take place rain or shine. RSVP Nancy at 301-452-7080
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk – 6-week parent workshop with Judy Rosenthal starts Sunday, October 14. $100/person, $120/couple, all books included. For registration or questions, email JudyRosenthal@verizon.net or call 301/754-0470.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two local foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests.
* Yad Yehuda provides critical assistance during the Yomim Tovim. Yad Yehuda's Tomchei Shabbos Program currently assists 600 individuals and families thoughout Greater Washington meet their daily and Shabbos needs. Your generous contribution will directly provide the extra help they need for the upcoming Yomim Tovim, enabling them to celebrate with the same Simchas Yom Tov that you enjoy in your own home. To learn more or to donate, please visit www.yadyehuda.org
* The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street or through Paypal to email@example.com
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Help Us Refill the Shelves at Yad Yehuda¡¦s Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda¡¦s Capital Kosher Pantry are in serious need of replenishment. Are you able to donate some of these items?
Baking Ingredients: Pareve Chocolate Chips, Sugar, Cooking Oil, Olive Oil, Pareve Cake Mixes (e.g., Duncan Hines), Baking Soda, Baking Powder Food Staples: Garbanzo Beans (chick peas), Pareve Granola Bars (e.g., Nature Valley), Rice Cakes, Pareve Circle Crackers, Mayonnaise, Pasta Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Whole Wheat Pasta (not spaghetti)
Shabbos Supplies: Grape Juice, Gefilte Fish, Yahrzeit Candles, Tea Lights
Not Needed Right Now: Honey Nut Cheerios, Canned Green Beans, Canned Corn, Oatmeal, Regular Pasta, Yams, Mustard
* Place your donations in any Capital Kosher Pantry box in most Shuls, Shalom Kosher, Moti¡¦s Market or on the porch of Yad Yehuda at 1910 University Blvd.
* Select items from the Capital Kosher Pantry shelves in Shalom Kosher and, after purchase, deposit them in the Yad Yehuda box in front of the registers.
* Shop online at Walmart or Amazon (info at yadyehudah.org ) and have the food shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry.
Questions? Please call 301-842-7935 ext 706.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday September 16 Monday September 17 Tuesday September 18 Wednesday, Sept. 19 – Yom Kippur Thursday September 20 Friday September 21
Ashkenazi 6:00, 7:00, 8:45 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:15, 6:35, 7:15, 8:15 See Yom Kippur Schedule 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30* 6:00*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15
Ashkenazi 6:55 6:55 See Yom Kippur Schedule 6:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:50* 6:50* 6:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:04 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:56 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:34 PM
* Sephardi Selichot 50 minutes before 1st Shacharit, 45 minutes before Mincha
September 21 – 22, 2018 – 13 Tishrei 5779
Light Candles by 6:48 – Havdalah 7:45
* Light Candles by 6:48
Ashkenazi: 6:50 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:45 Sephardi: 6:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:45
Friday, September 14 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Sunday, September 16 Annual BBQ, POSTPONED
Monday, September 17 Rabbi Frand Teshuva Drasha, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Thursday, September 20 at 12:00 Noon.
The Shabbos Shorts will NOT be published on Chol Hamoed.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday/Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Tuesday/Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Closed Wednesday (Yom Kippur)
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager