Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 16 – 17, 2018 – 9 Kislev 5779 – Parshas Vayeitze
Light Candles by 4:35 – Havdalah 5:35
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0550 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Cheryl & Michael Gabai on the birth of a granddaughter, Rakefet Menucha, to Devorah & Eliyahu Neiman, of Chicago, IL.
* Hannah Gershon on the birth of a great-granddaughter. Mazal Tov to the parents Malky & Emanuel Gershon of Jerusalem.
* Rebbetzin Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum on the birth of a daughter, Miriam. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sarah & Emil Braun and Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum, and to great-grandmother Leah Mann.
* Adina & Fred Friedman on the passing of their granddaughter, Bracha Golda Friedman, daughter of Rabbi Shmuel and Devorah Friedman. The funeral took place in Baltimore on Thursday.
* Debby Greengart and Shaine Spolter on the passing of their brother, Judah Friedman. The funeral took place in Dallas on Sunday.
* Light Candles by 4:35
Ashkenazi: 4:35, Ruach 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Shabbos Ends: 5:35
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Sammy Biton
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Adam & Iris Bashein in honor of their Two Touchdown Wedding Anniversary and by Moshe & Batsheva Broder in honor of Aryeh & Gali Itzkowitz's wedding and to welcome them to the community!
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will take place this week in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, will not take place this week. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Julie & Dr. Jerry Brookler, Tamar Tugwana & Alexander Markovich, Diana & Dr. Leonard Ruchelman, Michelle & Douglas Shelling, Carole & Barry Silvermetz.
Ruach Minyan – This Shabbos, November 16, 4:35 PM sharp in the Large Social Hall. While there is no formal children's program, Daveners of all ages are welcome to join us. So bring the entire family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment!
Dor L'dor starts on Motzei Shabbos, November 17 at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall!
This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Teanna & Yonah Mainzer in memory of Teanna's uncle, Matthew Goodman.
For people who would like their child to participate in Dor L'Dor but are not available to learn with him / her, we will try to match your child with an available volunteer adult, upon advance request (usually by 10:00 AM on the preceding Friday). However, parents accepting this offer are responsible for getting their child to and from the program. For further information, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
The program will be held in the YISE Arcola Social Hall and is open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes!
A Deep Dive Into Hallel – With Chanukah approaching, it's a good time to think about Hallel and how we can sing its praises with more Kavanah. Ms. Sharon Freundel will teach this three-part Shiur – focusing on Hallel's structure, language and meaning. Sunday, November 18 & December 2, 10:30 AM, and Sunday, December 9, 2:30 PM, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. For men & women. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more information, contact email@example.com
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, November 21, 12 Noon, Social Hall. "Hebrew Calligraphy" with Linda and Meyer Katzper.
Is Inclusivity a Jewish Value? Pre-Chanukah BMZG Community Shiur for men and women with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Tuesday, November 27, 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Annual YISE Youth Chanukah Carnival – Sunday, December 2, 12 Noon – 2:00 PM. Obstacle course, sing-along, arts and crafts, Sufganyiot, and Dreidel games! $5 per person, $25 Family max. Pizza will also be available for purchase.
Tech Cafe – One-on-one technology tutoring by teens. Learn to use your smartphone, tablet, email, Facebook, photos, video chat & more! Bring a charged device and we'll give you free advice. Sunday, December 16, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM in the Social Hall. Sign up at www.yise.org/techcafe For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Stacey Relkin Winkler at email@example.com Co-sponsored by YISE and KMS with Tech Café.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Thank you to everyone who volunteered to drive a member back and forth from the Hebrew Home in Rockville. We greatly appreciate your help. Note that rides are still needed so please continue to sign up at: www.yise.org/rides
If you have any questions, please contact Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org or Melanie Karlin – email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 17, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
Bethesda Mincha Minyan – There is a daily Mincha Minyan at 1:15 PM at 7910 Woodmont Ave., Suite 870, in Bethesda. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the daily email sent for this Minyan.
GWU Hillel Mincha Minyan – A new Mincha Minyan is being formed at the GWU Hillel, 2101 F St. NW in Washington, DC. The Minyan is starting with Tuesdays at 12:30 PM. Once enough men are committed, it will hopefully expand to other weekdays. If interested, please email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Making Machines in Our Image: Jewish Perspectives on Artificial Intelligence – DC Lunch and Learn with Rabbi Grossman on Monday, November 19, 12 Noon, at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP. No charge. Space is limited. RSVP required to email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 28, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Civilian Response to Active Shooter Event Course – Learn how to protect yourself and safely survive a life threatening situation. Join FBI Special Agent Michael Copeland for a free course on Sunday, November 18 at 12 noon. Event details at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/protectyourself-tickets-52275376057
Nothing but the Truth: Lying for a Good Cause: Can the End Justify the Means? Federal Holiday Learning Program for men – Thursday, November 22, Thanksgiving Day. Shacharis 7:45 AM, breakfast at 9:00 AM, Chavrusa Learning 9:30 AM, Shiur with Rabbi Michoel Frank, Rosh Chaburah, Kollel Zichron Amram, Rav, Ohr HaTorah. at 10:35 AM. YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20902 For more information, contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Chinuch: the Home-School Partnership – A three-part series on adolescent education with Rav Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW. Session 1 – What are Our Goals in Chinuch? – Monday, November 26, 8:00 PM at YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Ave. Very limited parking on campus, please park in the community. To RSVP or for more info., contact Rabbi Amram Hes email@example.com 301-649-7077 ext. 1528.
Pre-Chanukah Celebration at Arcola Rehab – The Berman PTO and KMS invite you to the Arcola Rehab, 901 Arcola Ave., on Tuesday, November 27, from 6:00PM – 6:30 PM for a pre-Chanukah musical celebration with the residents. All ages are welcome and Upper School students can earn community service hours. If you would like to bring an instrument, we'll be singing and playing: I have a little Dreidel, Oh Chanukah, Sevivon, Maoz Tzur, and Al Hanissim. To sign up (optional) or for more info., please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yad Yehuda Breakfast Save the date! Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 9:30 AM at YISE; Second annual Yad Yehuda breakfast, honoring Mrs. Susan Koss. Learn more about Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Thanksgiving Message from the Yad Yehuda Capital Kosher Pantry – The CKP is very thankful for all food and other necessary supplies that you can give! Currently needed items include: Apple sauce, breakfast cereal (except Cheerios or oatmeal), juice boxes, marinara/pasta sauce, oil (canola/olive/vegetable), pizza sauce, rice cakes, canned salmon, canned tuna, special canned vegetables (baby corn, hearts of palm), white rice, Chanukah candles & wicks, napkins , toilet paper & paper towels. Please: No pasta or Matzah. All food items must be shelf stable, well within the use-by date, non-perishable and in non-breakable sealed containers. Donation boxes located at YISE and other Shuls as well as Shalom Kosher. You may also order and ship directly from Amazon, Target, or Walmart. Thank you for your generous support!
Newly Married? Growing Family? Just need a budget check-up? A new community resource, IZUN, provides financial education and decision-making support for young couples, growing families, and those facing changes in their financial status. IZUN provides tools and trained confidential counselors to help you examine your budget and review options to sustain financial stability. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances, and it has the enthusiastic support of community leaders and rabbonim. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (240) 433-3944.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM..
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Kemp Mill Village Neighbor Helping Neighbor – KMV will do more than offer rides. We have 15 drivers who will be trained in December and prepared to offer rides to members in January. Many of our drivers have also volunteered to help with everyday household tasks, such as changing light bulbs, and picking up prescriptions or groceries. If you can volunteer for as little as 30 minutes a week, come join them to help your neighbors so KMV can provide a responsive service for Kemp Mill residents. Call Alan Breitler at 301-649-5031 or email email@example.com to participate in this important project!
Will the Eruv Will Be Up This Week? – We hope so…thanks to the Eruv's supporters who make the weekly inspection and any necessary repairs possible. If you benefit from the Eruv because you carry, your spouse or children carry, or your Shabbos guests carry – everyone benefits somehow – please support the Eruv. The suggested contribution is $54 per household; larger or smaller donations are gratefully accepted. Make your tax deductible donation to YISE Eruv Fund and mail it to: Eruv Fund, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Donations directly to SSEA are accepted but are not tax deductible. Please do NOT send donations for the Eruv to other shuls or via a shul website. If you have questions, contact SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday November 18 Monday November 19 Tuesday November 20 Wednesday November 21 Thursday, Nov. 22 Thanksgiving Day Friday November 23
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:30 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:05 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:23 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:25 PM
November 23 – 24, 2018 – 16 Kislev 5779
Light Candles by 4:30 – Havdalah 5:32
* Light Candles by 4:30
Ashkenazi: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:32
Friday, November 16 Ruach Minyan, 4:35 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 17 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 18 A Deep Dive Into Hallel, Part 1 of 3, 10:30 AM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Monday, November 19 Basic Colors, 1:00 PM – 6:30 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, November 21 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 21 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday – Wednesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Closed Thursday (Thanksgiving Day), Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager