Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 30 – December 1, 2018 – 23 Kislev 5779 – Parshas Vayeishev – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:30
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Halpern and Wakschlag families to commemorate the Shloshim of Rabbi Yaakov Halpern, Z"L, and to thank the community for assisting with Shiva meals, Minyanim, and support during this difficult time.
* Elaine & Robert Leichter on the birth of a grandson in Ramat Beit Shemesh to Tzippy & David Leichter. Mazal Tov to grandparents Brenda & Meir Katz and to grandmother Ann Leichter.
* Chaya Topas Lisitza on the passing of her brother, Moshe Topas. The funeral took place in Baltimore on Tuesday. Shiva is being observed at 3102 Glen Ave., Baltimore, MD, 21215, through Monday morning. Shacharis Sunday/Monday 7:00 AM, Mincha/Maariv Sunday: 4:25 PM, visitors 8:00 AM – 12 noon, 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
* Jacob Edeson is in Suburban Hospital. Visitors are welcome.
* Light Candles by 4:28
Ashkenazi: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Shabbos Ends: 5:30
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Hanna & Haim Cohen in honor of the engagement of their son, Gil.
* 8:00 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Wendy and Oren Penn and family to commemorate the 4th Yahrzeit of Marion Krakow, Miriam bas Ben Tzion, beloved mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Cholent sponsored by Marion & Bernie Muller in honor of the attendees of the 8:45 Minyan.
* 9:15 Minyan – Yonatan and Aviva Hendry in honor of Aviva’s completion of the CPA Exam.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will take place this week in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver’s Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel B runch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will take place this Sunday in the Beis Medrash. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem’s Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM, will take place this week in the Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page, will not take place this week.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis, will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Levy’s Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart’s Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher’s Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM, will take place this week in the Small Beis Medrash.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, December 1, at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall! This week’s Dor L’Dor is sponsored by an anonymous sponsor in gratitude to Michael and Sharon Shimoff for all they do for the Shul.
Chanukah Party for Young Professionals – Sunday, December 2, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. Chinese Auction, Latkes with Topping Bar, Donut Decorating and Drinks! $10 per person. RSVP and pay at: wp.yise.org/chanukah Questions? Contact Aviva Kramer at email@example.com or Bari Goldschein at firstname.lastname@example.org
Begin to say Vesain Tal Umatar Livracha at Maariv on Tuesday, December 4.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, December 5, 12 Noon, Social Hall, Entertainment by the YISE preschoolers with special guest appearances by Debby and Rabbi Barry Greengart!
Early Mincha Friday Chanukah – There will be a 3:00 PM Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary for those who would like to daven Mincha before lighting Chanukah candles.
Ruach Minyan – Shabbos Chanukah, December 7, 4:25 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. A standard Minyan will be held downstairs in the Social Hall for those who would prefer it.
Clothing Drive – Save your clothes, linens, shoes, stuffed animals, and purses for the annual YISE/KMS clothing drive on Sunday, January 13, 2019 benefiting CHANA (domestic abuse victims). Contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com for more information or to volunteer.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Job Opportunity – Shabbos Groups Coordinator – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Coordinator for our weekly Shabbos youth groups for preschool through elementary aged children. This is an excellent opportunity for professional growth. Strong communication, programmatic and interpersonal skills are needed. Experience working with children is a must. Compensation commensurate with experience. For more information or to apply, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 1, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Next regular meeting Wednesday, December 12, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. December 5 will be a special District 36 Pathways training session for members only. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Chanukah Havdalah in Pajamas – Saturday, December 1, 2018, 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM at Berman Hebrew Academy. Celebrate Chanukah and Havdalah in your pajamas with a festive singalong Havdalah service led by Rabbi Uri Topolosky, followed by stories, de-light-ful activities, crafts and snacks. Please bring a NEW pair of adult or child sized warm socks or gloves to be donated to the homeless. Register online at bit.ly/ChanukahHavdalah2018 Sponsored by PJ Library, The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, Berman Hebrew Academy Preschool and Kehilat Pardes.
GWCK Chanukah Celebration – Monday, December 3, 7:00 PM at GWCK, 10900 Lockwood Dr. Join the GWCK on the 2nd night of Chanukah for live music, hot refreshments, a guest speaker for adults and lots of entertainment for kids! Additional parking available nearby at Northwest Branch Pool.
Get a Sense of Berman – Explore the five senses through science, technology, engineering, and math. Interact with features from our STEM playground and experience a taste of our Preschool and Lower School. Berman Hebrew Academy Dennis & Robin Berman Media Center. Sunday, December 16, 2018, 10:00 AM-12 noon. RSVP to Director of Admissions Elana Stein at 301-962-9400 x5630 or firstname.lastname@example.org This event is for preschool and lower-school aged children and their grown-ups.
YGW Banquet – Join the Yeshiva of Greater Washington – Tiferes Gedaliah for the 55th Annual Banquet, honoring Rabbi Eliyahu & Mrs. Rachelle Reingold. The banquet will take place on December 16 at 6:00 PM at The Hotel at the University of Maryland. For more information and to RSVP, go to www.ygwevents.com
Body and Soul – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington presents the first shiur of a free 3-part learning series for women: Taking care of ourselves. Join us as Mrs. Rachel Kosowsky discusses "Putting First Things First: Why (and How) We Must Prioritize Ourselves to Properly Serve Hashem" on Monday, December 17, at 8:00 PM at the Namrow home- 6 Fulham Court.
Yad Yehuda Breakfast Save the date! Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 9:30 AM at YISE; Second annual Yad Yehuda breakfast, honoring Mrs. Susan Koss. Learn more about Yad Yehuda’s Capital Kosher Pantry. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Newly Married? Growing Family? Just need a budget check-up? A new community resource, IZUN, provides financial education and decision-making support for young couples, growing families, and those facing changes in their financial status. IZUN provides tools and trained confidential counselors to help you examine your budget and review options to sustain financial stability. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances, and it has the enthusiastic support of community leaders and Rabbonim. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (240) 433-3944.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy’s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy’s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd. Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Kemp Mill Village Neighbor Helping Neighbor – KMV will do more than offer rides. We now have over 40 volunteers and supporters, who are helping us prepare to offer services starting January 1, 2019, including rides to appointments and shopping, prescription delivery, everyday household tasks, such as changing light bulbs, and picking up groceries. If you can volunteer for as little as 30 minutes a week, come join them to help your neighbors so KMV can provide a responsive service for Kemp Mill residents. Call Alan Breitler at 301-649-5031 or email email@example.com to participate in this important project!
Will the Eruv Be Up This Week? – We hope so…thanks to the Eruv's supporters who make the weekly inspection and any necessary repairs possible. The suggested contribution is $54 per household; larger or smaller donations are gratefully accepted. Make your tax deductible donation to YISE Eruv Fund and mail it to: Eruv Fund, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Donations directly to SSEAÂ are accepted but are not tax deductible. Please do NOT send donations for the Eruv to other shuls or via a shul website. If you have questions, contact SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
Boys Baseball – Early Registration is now open! This spring, Ko-ach Sports is back for another great season of Sunday baseball. Sign up before January 15 to reserve a spot and save on registration fees. 2019 spring baseball is for boys 1st-5th grade. Go to www.Ko-achSports.com for more information.
The Week Ahead
Sunday December 2 Monday, Dec. 3 – Chanukah Tuesday, Dec. 4 – Chanukah Wednesday, Dec. 5 – Chanukah Thursday, Dec. 6 – Chanukah Friday, Dec. 7 – Chanukah
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:17 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:33 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:31 PM
December 8, 2018 – 30 Kislev 5779
Parshas Mikeitz – Rosh Chodesh – Chanukah
Light Candles by 4:27 – Havdalah 5:30
* Light Candles by 4:27
Ashkenazi: 3:00, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:30
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 1 Dor L’Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 2 A Deep Dive Into Hallel, Part 2 of 3, 10:30 AM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Sunday, December 2 Youth Chanukah Carnival, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Wednesday, December 5 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Friday, December 7 Ruach Minyan, 4:25 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 8 Board Game Café, 8:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 16 Tech Café, 1:00 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 5 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager