Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 26 – 27, 2018 – 18 Cheshvan 5779 – Parshas Vayeira
Light Candles by 5:56 – Havdalah 6:54
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Jerry & Tsipi Hawk and family in memory of Jerry's father, Tzvi Elazar ben HaRav Yeshaya, on his 5th Yahrtzeit.
* David Abrams on the engagement of his granddaughter, Aviva Strauss, to Mi'chael Apfel, both of Givat Shmuel. Mazal Tov to Aviva's parents Leya & Moshe Strauss of East Brunswick, NJ.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the Bar Mitzvah of their greatgrandson, Yehudah Aryai Brown, son of Adi & Avromi Brown of Brooklyn, NY, and grandson of Libby Waidenbaum.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their granddaughter, Shayna Lerner, daughter of Shoshana & Ari Lerner, to Gavi Sragow, son of Linda &Murray Sragow of Teaneck. Mazal Tov to grandparents Carole and Morty Pancer and to greatgrandmother Dena Lerner Gerber.
* Sharon & Mayer Samuels on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Shoshana. Mazal Tov to Shoshana's brothers, Avi and Isaac, and to her grandparents, Suzie Samuels of New York and Eilene & Dr. Lawrence Riemer of California.
* Simin Askarinam on the loss of her mother, Nobar Kohanzadeh. Simin is observing Shiva in Los Angeles, CA through Monday morning.
* Light Candles by 5:56
Ashkenazi: 6:00, 6:00 Ruach, Sephardi: 5:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:55 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
* Shabbos Ends: 6:54
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Bar Mevorach & by an anonymous sponsor.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Jerry and Tsipi Hawk and family in memory of Jerry's father Tzvi Elazar Ben HaRav Yeshaya on his 5th Yahrtzeit.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 5:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will take place this week in Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Return of the Ruach Minyan – This Shabbos, October 26, 6:00 PM sharp in the Large Social Hall. Yes, there will be a special children's story program during part of the davening in the Small Social Hall. So bring the entire family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, November 12 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available, we would appreciate your help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Melanie Karlin at email@example.com for more information.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Job Opportunity – Shabbos Groups Director – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for our weekly Shabbos youth groups for preschool through elementary aged children. This is an excellent opportunity for professional growth. Strong communication, programmatic and interpersonal skills are needed. Experience working with children is a must. Compensation commensurate with experience. For more information or to apply, contact Elise Saks at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Mazal Tov to former members Yaffa & Rabbi Tzvi Klugerman of Hashmonaim on the birth of a grandson, Nadiv Eitan, to their children, Sarit & Tuvia Newman of Hashmonaim.
Yoetzet Halacha Atara Eis – Symbiosis and Differentiation: Torat Eretz Yisrael and Torat America from the perspective of Nishmat's Yoetzet Halacha Program. Shabbos, October 27, at 4:00 PM at the home of Karen & Jeff Wasserstein, 918 Annmore Drive. Men and women welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, October 27, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 4:30 PM.
BCGW 2018 Hope and Healing Gala – Sunday, October 28 at 10:00AM at Beth Sholom Congregation in Potomac. Honoring star volunteers: Eve Farber, Rabbi Barry Greengart, Sylvia Goldberg and Dr. Nancy Weisman. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org or call 202-331-4481.
Halachos of Davening for Women – with Rabbi Reingold. The inaugural Shiur in a new series in Halacha for women. Shiur for women only. Tuesday, October 30, 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 31, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM..
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute presents "Mitzvah, Minhag, or Myth? Understanding the Meaning Behind What We Do." A weekly Shiur for women and post-seminary girls by Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Mondays at 8:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive in White Oak.For more information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Village Rides – The Gift of a Lift – We now have 11 drivers signed up for the Kemp Mill Village Rides program. Come join them and help your neighbors so we can provide a responsive service for Kemp Mill residents. We anticipate offering service starting January 1, with a group of trained, background-checked, drivers. Call Alan Breitler at 301-649-5031 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to participate in this important project!
The Week Ahead
Sunday October 28 Monday October 29 Tuesday October 30 Wednesday October 31 Thursday November 1 Friday November 2
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:44 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:11 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:22 PM
November 2 – 3, 2018 – 25 Cheshvan 5779
Parshas Chayei Sarah – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:48 – Havdalah 6:47
* Light Candles by 5:48
Ashkenazi: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:45 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:47
Friday, October 26 Ruach Minyan, 6:00 PM, Large Social Hall
Sunday, November 4 Blood Drive at KMS, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Sunday, November 4 Kristallnacht Program, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Saturday, November 10 Trivia Night, 8:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 11 Veterans Day Dining Out, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 17 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 31 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager