Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 3-4, 2017 – 15 Cheshvan 5778 – Parshas Vayeira
Light Candles by 5:46 – Havdalah 6:45
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Debra & Arthur Sapper on the birth of a granddaughter to their children, Sarah & Rabbi Dovid Brotsky, of Cincinnati.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a great-grandson, born to Puah & Yehoshua Goldberger.
* Dr. Cary Presser and Janet Rottenberg on the passing of their father and brother, Harry Presser. The funeral took place on Monday in New Jersery. Janet will be observing Shiva at her home in Deerfield Beach, FL through Sunday morning. Cary will be observing Shiva at his home, 804 Kersey Rd, through Shacharis on Sunday at 8:00 AM.
* Elise & Ken Saks on the loss of Elise's grandfather, Harry Cohen, of Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
* Light Candles by 5:46
Ashkenazi: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:45 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:45
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour.
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Moshe Khaldar in memory of his father Mordechai Ben Bima.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Appreciation Kiddush for Morah Sarah
* 9:15 Minyan – Serena & Ben Kalish
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Spirituality Workshop – Join Rabbi Menachem Goldberger (of Baltimore), along with Rabbi Rosenbaum, at this program to help develop a closer connection to Hashem. Sunday, November 5, 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM at YISE. Program includes lunch. $12/person. Reservations required – a few spots remain available. For info, contact email@example.com or 301-980-9557.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, November 6, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Late Maariv Minyan – There will be a Maariv Minyan in the Large Beis Medrash at 7:30 PM Monday through Thursday evenings starting Monday, November 6.
"Screenagers" – A documentary about growing up in the Digital Age. Movie will be followed by a panel discussion with teens and guidance counselors. Event is free for Berman families and staff, and $5 for everyone else. Cosponsored by: Berman Hebrew Academy PTO, YISE, KMS, and Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah. RSVP at https://impactflow.com/event/presented-by-berman-pto-5528 Wednesday, November 8, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM at Berman. Recommended for 5th grade and up. For more info: Miriam Friedman – email@example.com
Paint Nite! Featuring Talya Weinberg! Motzei Shabbos, November 11. $25 per person. Refreshments at 7:30 PM, painting at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Space is limited. RSVP required by November 4 at www.yise.org/paint Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Be a Superhero! Save a Life! Donate Blood! "Superhero" Community Blood Drive in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky Z"L and Dr. Clif Price Z"L. Sunday, November 12, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, at YISE. There will be Kosher snacks for everyone, educational videos, and activity sheets about the circulatory system to keep children busy while their parents donate blood. People who donate blood will receive a free gift. At least 35 adults need to make commitments to donate blood for the drive to happen. Volunteers are also needed to greet and register donors, distribute drinks and snacks, and help with the children's activities. Time can be credited as community service hours. The Capital Kosher Pantry will have a collection box available at the blood drive. Donate blood to save a life, donate food to nourish lives. All food must be in sealed, non-breakable containers, within the use-by date, and shelf stable. Please contact Adam Bashein, email@example.com to schedule a donation or Eli Landy, firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a shift you can volunteer. You could be a "super-hero" and save someone's life!
Yaakov's Pursuit of Truth – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, November 12, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
SAVE THE DATE: Tech Cafe – Sunday, November 19, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Shul Repairs – If you notice that a Sefer holder on the back of a pew is becoming loose, please tell us asap before the bottom drops out. Contact Josh Breitstein at firstname.lastname@example.org and / or Stuart Cohen at email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Come join Dor l'Dor:
The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment!
Dor L'dor starts on Motzei Shabbos, November 18 at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall!
For people who would like their child to participate in Dor L'Dor but are not available to learn with him / her, we will try to match your child with an available volunteer adult, upon advance request (usually by 10:00 AM on the preceding Friday). However, parents accepting this offer are responsible for getting their child to and from the program. For further information, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
The program will be held at the YISE Arcola Social Hall and is open to the entire community!
Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes!
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Next Shabbos, November 11 there will not be a Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring will be starting Maseches Nedarim on Monday, November 6. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit www.dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 4 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Camp Marabu Open House – Please join us at an informational meeting regarding Camp Marabu – a travelling camp out west for boys ages 13-17. The Open House will take place at 10714 Meadowhill Road, on Sunday, November 5 at 8:00 PM. For more information please contact Rabbi Raphael Mendlowitz at 301-928-0646 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheshvan: The Shower of Blessings and Tears – Rabbanit Yemima Mizrahi video presentation for women. Monday, November 6, 8:15 PM, at Ohr HaTorah Social Hall. Cost: $8.
Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – Wednesday, November 8, presented by Corliss Jackson. "Cracking the Federal Job Search Code" 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM. "The Senior Executive Service" – 7:45 PM to 8:15 PM. "Ace Your Next Interview" – 8:30 PM to 9:00 PM. Info and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 8, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Second Annual Capital Connection Weekend – Connecting singles nationwide. For Orthodox professionals ages 35-55. Friday, November 10 – Sunday, November 12. Register by November 3 for the early bird special $225. After November 3, $250. Enjoy five catered meals, a gala dessert reception, a Shabbos afternoon stroll through Brookside Gardens, an "incomparable, award-winning, 50 acre display garden," gourmet Shalosh Sheudos, paint night, Melave Malka, and special entertainment, close to our nation's capital. Register today at https://form.jotform.com/72808183124152 For more information contact: Marci Schopf at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-871-8501, Rhonda Lehman at Rhonda.email@example.com or 301-351-1725, or Rachel Burnham at firstname.lastname@example.org or 347-623-6303.
The History of Indian Jewry – Am HaTorah Congregation invites the community to a special presentation by author and lecturer Dr. Thomas Timberg, editor of "Jews of India." Motzei Shabbos, November 11, 7:00 PM. Admission $40. Light dinner will be served. For more information and to RSVP: email@example.com or 301-229-2751.
In the Eyes of the Beholder: The Appearance of Impropriety – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, November 12. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM. Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 12:00 Noon Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:55 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Heroic Children of the Holocaust – KMS will commemorate the eve of the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht with a lecture by Rabbi Hanoch Teller, senior docent in Yad Vashem and author of "Heroic Children." Motzei Shabbos, November 11, 8:00 PM at KMS.
Camp Shoresh Open House – Sunday, November 12, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM, 2428 Pleasant View Road, Adamstown, MD. Shoresh (the Hebrew word for roots) is dedicated to providing educational enrichment programs related to our Jewish heritage. This will be the 39th season that our summer program will serve the needs of Jewish children. At Camp Shoresh there are no labels! Campers come from all different backgrounds – Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, unaffiliated, public school, day school, etc. – and everyone thrives in our unique non-judgmental day camp environment. The seven weeks at Camp Shoresh is all about positive Judaism for campers entering Pre-K thru 10th grades from across Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and D.C. The distinctive programming at Camp Shoresh combines the beauty of a rich Jewish studies program with an extensive range of physical activities including swimming, arts and crafts, sports, archery, challenge course, overnights, and Hershey Park – a design to create a total Jewish experience for body, mind, and soul. Join us at our beautiful 107 acre facility in Adamstown, Maryland. For questions or to RSVP for the Open House, call 410-358-8571 or email@example.com
A Special Evening with the Koidenover Rebbe – Monday, November 13, at the home of Dr. Nick Muzin, 800 Stonington Road. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM, followed by an uplifting Kumsitz at 8:00 PM. This is a unique opportunity to meet the Rebbe, who is much sought after for his Brochos and advice. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more info, please contact R' Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE! Sixth Annual LBJA Chanukah Boutique – Sunday, December 3, 12:00 Noon – 4:00 PM, sponsored by the PTO. More sponsorships available. We also have limited tables for vendors interested in selling their wares during one of the biggest shopping seasons! Contact email@example.com to save your spot today!
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 5 Monday, November 6 Tuesday, November 7 Wednesday, November 8 Thursday, November 9 Friday, November 10
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:10 6:10 6:05 6:10
Ashkenazi 4:45 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:52 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:15 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:22 PM
November 10-11, 2017 – 22 Cheshvan 5778
Parshas Chayei Sarah
Light Candles by 4:39 – Havdalah 5:39
* Light Candles by 4:39
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:39
Sunday, November 5 Spirituality Workshop, 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM
Monday, November 6 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon – 6:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 11 Paint Nite, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 18 The First Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 8 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager