Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shuvah Shorts
September 18-19, 2015 – 6 Tishrei 5776 – Parshas Vayeilech – Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 6:54 – Havdalah 7:51
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Light Candles by 6:54
Arcola: 6:55 University: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:25 University: 6:05 Sephardi: 6:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:51
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will resume after Sukkos.
* R' Moshe Haim Blate – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Drasha after Mincha at Arcola.
Yom Kippur Schedule
Erev Yom Kippur, Tuesday, September 22:
* Mincha 3:00
* Light Candles by 6:47
* Kol Nidre 6:50 (6:30 Sephardi)
Yom Kippur, Wednesday, September 23:
* Shacharis 8:00 (All locations)
* Yizkor 11:00 (10:30 Nusach Sefard)
* Havdalah 7:44
* Sarah & Matthew Karlin on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the big brothers, Yakov Gedaliah and Akiva, the grandparents, Melanie & Sandy Karlin and Leo Sushner, the great-grandparents, Dolores & Len Schwartz, Charles Karlin and Trudi & Merv Levin and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Sarah & David Maslow on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter Atara Chana Lancer, daughter of Dina & Adam Lancer of Passaic.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume October 13.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yonah – will resume October 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume October 7.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women – will resume October 13.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org – will resume after Sukkos.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow – will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – will resume on October 14.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall – will resume after Sukkos.
* See the Week Ahead on back for schedule. All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis. The first and third Minyanim will be held in the Social Hall and the second and fourth Minyanim will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
YISE Programs and Listings
High Holiday Planning:
* YK Babysitting for childen ages 2-9 years old for $10 per child. Please see the flyer in the social hall lobby or contact email@example.com for more information.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – Orders placed through YISE may be picked up at Elli-Chai's:
* Thursday, September 24: 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM
* Friday, September 25: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
* Motzei Shabbos, September 26:8: 30 PM – 12:00 midnight
* Sunday, September 27: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
* The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Do a Mitzvah: Help Build the Shul's Sukkah – The Shul needs volunteers to build its Sukkah. Please consider helping us, especially if you might use it. The holiday schedule precludes us from our usual Sunday building day, so we are asking people to confirm that they will help: Thursday, September 24 (post Yom Kippur), 6:00 PM. Please confirm your participation by contacting Stuart Cohen at email@example.com, or 301 943 5153.
* The High Holiday Committee would like to thank Ethan Cohen, Edan Friedman, Matan Friedman, Merav Friedman, Miriam Friedman, Raph Ginsburg, and Benzion Kott for their assistance in setting up the shul in preparation for Rosh Hashanah. The committee NEEDS volunteers to help clean up after Yom Kippur, starting at 10:00 PM.
Be a Better Ba'al Tefilah – Davening from the Amud can be a more meaningful experience (for both you and your Minyan), whether you lead services every chance you get or only on Yahrzeits. YISE is gauging interest in classes on the Halacha of being a Ba'al Tefilah as well as Nusach and Melody, taught by Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Ozzie Burnham. If interested in these, or even in beginning Ba'al Tefilah lessons, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Dedicate a Brick, and Help Build a Keilim Mikvah
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Cheryl Stern Community Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible.
For more details visit: http://wp.yise.org/dedicate-a-brick/
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday evenings, 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Mikvah Hours for Men on Erev Yom Kippur:
* Kemp Mill (Wallerstein Mikvah) : 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM
* Woodside (Ballard St.) : 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Free for full members, adults $20, children/students $10. Bring your own towels. Volunteers needed: contact email@example.com to volunteer.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two Kemp Mill based foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing aid requests. On Yom Tov, Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington, supplements the support it provides through its year-round Tomchei Shabbos program; contribute at http://www.tomcheishabbosgw.org/ The Franco Foundation's help for essentials like rent, mortgage, and utilities, relieves stress so our neighbors can experience Simchas Yom Tov. To donate: Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902 or through Paypal, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – will resume on Wednesday, September 30.
Sukkah Assistance – The boys from the Yeshiva will be available to help those who need help put up their Sukkah. Please call Rabbi Hes at 301-649-7077 ex: 1528.
Sandy Spring Ropes Course on Sukkos – Thursday, October 1. 9:00AM, 9:30AM, 10:00AM, 10:30AM. To sign up and for more info, visit: http://bookeo.com/sandyspringtrees Click on Private Events/Fundraising.
MaTan Mother-Daughter Bat Mitzvah Learning Program – Celebrate with mother-daughter Chavruta style learning. This program examines 9 women from Jewish history who are positive role models while challenging mother & daughter to ask "Where do I fit into this chain?" A fresh approach with art, drama & movement, in addition to textual study. Classes begin after Sukkos. To register and for more info: https://www.kmsynagogue.org/matan-learning-2015.html
Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington as we celebrate a caring community and honor Gary Winters, Doris Leeds, Sharon Dekelbaum and David Abrams. Sunday, October 25 at 10:00 AM (Brunch!) at Beth Sholom Congregation. Visit www.bikurcholimgw.org
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* How to Write Your LinkedIn Profile – Free webinar. Tuesday, September 22, 11:00 AM or Thursday, September 24, 7:00 PM. Info and register at www.chameleon-resumes.com
* Interview Confessions of a Former Recruiter – Free webinar, Wednesday, September 23, 12:30 PM – 1:15 PM. Will be available for 3 days afterward. Info and register at http://www.sixfigurestart.com/about/upcoming-events/
Annual Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha
Monday, September 21, 8:00 PM
YISE Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 20 Monday, September 21 Tues., Sept. 22 – Erev Yom Kippur Wed., Sept. 23 – Yom Kippur Thursday, September 24 Friday, September 25
Arcola 6:00, 7:00, 8:45 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:15, 6;35, 7:15, 8:15 See Yom Kippur schedule 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 6:40 5:15 (Selichot), 7:10 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 6:50 6:50 See Yom Kippur schedule 6:50 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:45 6:45 6:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:07 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:57 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:32 PM
September 25-26, 2015 – 13 Tishrei 5776
Light Candles by 6:42 – Havdalah 7:39
* Light Candles by 6:42
Arcola: 6:45 University: 6:45 Sephardi: 6:40 Nusach Sefard: 6:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:40 University: 6:40 Sephardi: 6:20 Nusach Sefard: 6:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:39
Wednesday, October 7 Senior Lunch, Chazanim Ben Bazian,
Mike Kravitz, and Ed Laskin – "A Musical Journey: Songs of Our People"
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Thursday, September 24 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday and Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Tuesday and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM, Closed Wednesday.
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director