Click here for Shabbos Shuvah Drasha Maarei Mekomos
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shuvah Shorts
October 7-8, 2016 – 6 Tishrei 5777 – Parshas Vayeilech – Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 6:22 – Havdalah 7:19
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rachelli & Craig Simon in honor of the Rotating Rebbe Shiur being Misayim Maseches Kiddushin.
* Nechama & Ted Goodman on the marriage of their son, Ephraim, to Sivan Thaller. Mazal Tov to grandparents Hilda & Robert Stark, of Monroe Township, NJ and Phyllis Goodman of Tallahassee, FL, and to siblings Eli Goodman and Rachel Sagal.
* Linda & Ed Zurndorfer and Martha & Ed Karl on the birth of a granddaughter, Esther Peryl, to their children Tovah Leah & Donniel Karl of Ramat Bet Shemesh. Mazal Tov to Esther Peryl's siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* The Rotating Rebbe Shiur for finishing Maseches Kiddushin: Josh Karpoff, Martin Katz, Zach Prince, Chad Miller, Aryeh Miller, Oren Perez, David Ginsberg, Craig Simon, and Richard Swedarsky.
* Ellen Haber on the passing of her father, Murray Weitzer. The funeral took place on Friday in Lakewood, NJ. Ellen will observe Shiva at to her home, 1209 North Belgrade Rd., Sunday night until Tuesday afternoon. Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Monday at 6:15.
* Rona Lerner and Richie Broth on the passing of their monther and grandmother, Elinor Cohn. The funeral took place on Sunday in Baltimore. Shiva was completed before Rosh Hashanah.
* Light Candles by 6:22
Arcola: 6:25 University: 6:25 Sephardi: 6:20 Nusach Sefard: 6:25
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 8:00 Minyan will meet in the Social Hall.
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:55 University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:19
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Lower Lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Drasha after Mincha at Arcola.
* See the Week Ahead on back for schedule. All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis. The first and third Minyanim will be held in the Social Hall and the second and fourth Minyanim will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Yom Kippur Schedule
Erev Yom Kippur, Tuesday, October 11:
* Mincha 3:00
* Light Candles by 6:17
* Kol Nidre 6:20 (All locations)
Yom Kippur, Wednesday, October 12:
* Shacharis 8:00 (All locations)
* Yizkor 11:00 (10:15 Nusach Sefard)
* Havdalah 7:13
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on November 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on November 2.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on November 2.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – will resume on November 1.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 10:00 AM followed by classes from 10:30 AM – 11:15 AM. Note special times. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before we Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-732-1773 or email@example.com – will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will resume after Sukkos.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899 – will resume after Sukkos.
YISE Programs and Listings
High Holiday Planning:
* The Nusach Sefard Minyan will meet in the G level party room of 1121 University Blvd. for Yom Kippur.
* YK Babysitting at YISE is now full.
* YK "Older Kid" Babysitting – A number of parents are organizing babysitting for ages 6-9 during YISE High Holiday services. The babysitting will be at the Shimoff home starting at 10:00 AM until after Musaf. Cost will be $10/day (this program is being done at cost). Please contact email@example.com if interested.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – Pickup at YISE Thursday, October 13, 11:00 AM – 8:30 PM.
* YISE Youth Sukkah Hop – Please join YISE Youth on the second day of Sukkos, October 18, 4:30 PM – 5:45 PM for children grades K-6th. We will meet in the YISE Lower Lobby at 4:25 PM (weather permitting). Children younger than K can feel free to join with an adult present. For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Do a Mitzvah: Help Build the Shul's Sukkah – The Shul needs volunteers to build its Sukkah. Please consider helping us, especially if you might use it. Sunday, October 16, 10:00 AM. Please confirm your participation by contacting Stuart Cohen at email@example.com, or 301-943-5153.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, October 10, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – will resume after Sukkos.
Using Water Fountains on Shabbos – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, October 10, Columbus Day. Light refreshments will be served. Chavrusa Learning 9:15 AM – Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for Chavrusa learning. Shiur 10:15 AM – 10:45 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Mikvah Hours for Men on Erev Yom Kippur:
* Kemp Mill (Wallerstein Mikvah): 7:30 AM – 2:30 PM
* Woodside (Ballard St.): 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM
Free for full members, adults $20, children/students $10. Bring your own towels. Volunteers needed: contact email@example.com to volunteer. We need your donations. Visit mikvahemunah.com for more information.
Toastmasters' Meeting – will meet next on Wednesday, October 26.
Third Annual Women's Succoth Kumzits! Back by popular demand. Wednesday night, October 19 at 8:15 PM. An evening of singing and special Ruach led by Dahlia Topolosky in the Succah of Nancy Mehlman, 925 Grays Lane. This event is for women and girls of all ages.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* 50+ Job Seekers – The next 5-day session of JCA's Career Gateway starts October 13. For more information, please contact Career.Gateway@AccessJCA.org
* Free webinars for job seekers:
* Pet Peeves of a Former Recruiter http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=74118774
* Application Confessions of a Former Recruiter http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=74118648
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with firstname.lastname@example.org
Preparing for Yom HaDin – Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington responds, year-round, to an increasing number of local requests from those in need. Through an extensive program of food scrip, the Capital Kosher Pantry, and emergency financial help, it presently assists over 500 families and individuals in our communities. The Foundation absorbs all administrative costs, so your tax-deductible donations go farther. What better way to go into Yom HaDin than to help our friends and neighbors with the extra help they need to celebrate the upcoming Yomim Tovim. To learn more or make a donation, visit
Mayan Hakesef Loan Foundation is a local 501(c)(3) organization founded and active right here in Kemp Mill. Your tax deductible donation will go very far. Sponsor an interest free loan for $2,500 or $5,000. Your donation will be used over and over again for years to come. Nearly all funds have been lent out so your donation will be next in line for use. For questions/inquiries please contact email@example.com
Capital Kosher Pantry Food Drive – The Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington is launching a pre-holiday food drive to support those in our community who struggle to feed their families, especially during this particularly financially challenging time, as well as throughout the year. Everyone is encouraged to assist the CKP in this cause by dropping off kosher, non-perishable food items in factory sealed containers in the collection box in the YISE lower lobby, helping the dozens of local families who benefit from this service. For more information, please consult the flier and the CKP wish list which are hanging on the bulletin boards. Thank you for your participation in this worthy and necessary endeavor.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 9 Monday, Oct. 10 – Columbus Day Tues., Oct. 11 – Erev Yom Kippur Wed., Oct. 12 – Yom Kippur Thursday, October 13 Friday, October 14
Arcola 6:00, 7:00, 8:45 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:15, 6;35, 7:15, 8:15 See Yom Kippur schedule 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 6:40 (Selichot) 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 6:40 (Selichot) 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 6:20 6:20 See Yom Kippur schedule 6:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:15 6:15 6:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:26 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:03 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:25 PM
October 14-15, 2016 – 13 Tishrei 5777
Light Candles by 6:12 – Havdalah 7:09
* Light Candles by 6:12
Arcola: 6:15 University: 6:15 Sephardi: 6:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:15
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:10 University: 6:10 Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 6:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:09
Annual Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha
Monday, October 10, 8:00 PM – YISE Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Thursday, October 13 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday and Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Tuesday and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM, Closed Wednesday.
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director