Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 2-3, 2015 – 12 Teves 5775 – Parshas Vayechi
Light Candles by 4:39 – Havdalah 5:42
* Light Candles by 4:39
Arcola: 4:40, Ruach University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:42
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Anne & Scott Schlesinger in honor of the Aufruf of their son, Joseph, and Larry Korb, Arnie Sherman, Geoffrey Rosenbloom, Dr. Marc Katz, Michael Hourwitz and Chaim Neustadter in memory of their parents: the 3rd Yahrzeit of Minnie Korb, Minah Shifrah Bas Yisrael; the 4th Yahrzeits of Racie Sherman, Rivka Bas Yosef Yona; Maurice Rosenbloom, Moshe Heshel B"R Chaim Ben Zion; Gerrie Katz, Chana Pesel Bas Dovid; and Albert Hourwitz, Avraham Mordechai Ben Yitzchak HaLevi; and the 21st Yahrzeit of Goldie Neustadter, Sara Golda Bas Harav Chaim Eliezer Altar.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan (in the small Social Hall).
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:20 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:50 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 3:55 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Leah Covel on the engagement of her son, Raphael, of Tel Aviv, to Galya Nisenbaum, of Jerusalem. Mazal Tov to her parents, Lida Baker and Paul Nisenbaum of Los Angeles, and to his siblings, Shoshana, Kfirah, and Barak.
* Dalia & Jesse Kahane on the Bar-Mitzvah of their grandson, Ori Levi, son of Sharon & Netanel Levi of Pardes Hanna.
* The passing of Fred Blumenthal. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva will be observed at the home of Andy Blumenthal, 1111 University Blvd. W, Apt. 1005. Mincha/Maariv will take place Sunday through Wednesday at 4:40.
* Dalia Kahane on the passing of her father, Efraim Cochavi, and to former member Sharon Levi on the passing of her grandfather. The funeral and Shiva took place in Israel
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – This Friday, January 2, at 4:40 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.There will be a special children's program beginning before Maariv and ending before Kiddush in the small Social Hall.
This Weekend – Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 3, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Karen & Howie Schulman in commemoration of the Yahrzeits of Howie's mother, Florence Schulman (Faigel bas Yeshaya Ber) and wife Sherrie Schulman (Sarah Leah bas Avrohom Dov). Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Lost and Found – Unclaimed clothing and other items have been collected in the downstairs coat room. They will be removed on Monday, January 5.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, January 5, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Next Board of Directors Meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 6 at 7:30 PM in the Arcola Beis Medrash.
Fundraiser for YISE Nursery – Ladies Night Out. Tuesday, January 6. Come join us for a fun and relaxing paint your own pottery event at Color Me Mine in Downtown Silver Spring. $5 studio fee plus cost of pottery. Over 200 items to choose from! Portion of the proceeds to benefit YISE Shomrai Nursery. Come by anytime after 6:00 PM. Last seating to paint is at 9:00 PM. Located at 823 Ellsworth Drive.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, January 7, Arcola Social Hall. Speaker: Dr. Itzhak Brook, Professor at Georgetown University School of Medicine, discusses his book "In the Sands of Sinai – A Physician's Account of the Yom Kippur War."
A Shabbos of Inspiration – Join the Greater Washington Community Kollel and YISE for an Inspirational Shabbos at YISE. Shabbos, January 9-10. Thought provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK. Inspiring tefillos and zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Yehuda Green. Elegant catered Friday Night family dinner (Adult: $22, Children (3-7): $12, Children under 3: free) with free babysitting during the dinner available. To make dinner reservations, please contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or email@example.com Sponsorship opportunities available.
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 11, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, at KMS, co-sponsored by YISE and KMS to replenish local area Gemachs. Gently used shoes, clothing and outerwear can be dropped off at 903 Holborn Street starting Sunday, January 4 to January 11 at 9:30 AM or dropped off at KMS after 10:00 AM on January 11. To volunteer to help or for more information please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Taharat Hamishpacha Class for Women – Robin Niman, the manager of the Wallerstein Mikvah, will be giving Part I of a two-part refresher course on Monday, January 12, at 7:30 PM in the YISE Beit Medrash. Part II will be on Sunday, February 15, at 11:00 AM. Co-sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington and YISE.
YISE Programs and Listings (cont.)
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html If you have tapes of Shiurim to add to the site, contact Rabbi Yisroel Anemer at email@example.com or give tapes to Nechemia Mond.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from four different classes.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from three different classes.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences – Former member Netanel Levi on the passing of his father, Moshe Levi. The funeral and Shiva took place in Israel.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 10:30 AM, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 7, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Hakamat Ha-Matzeiva (Unveiling) Isadore Goldman will be January 11, at 11:00 AM at National Capitol Hebrew Cemetery, Capitol Heights.
YGW 51st Annual Banquet – January 11, 6:00 PM, Bethesda North Marriott. Honoring our Rosh haYeshiva on the 20th Anniversary of the Yeshiva Gedolah. Rabbi & Mrs. Ahron Lopiansky will be presented the Kesser Torah Award. Place your ads or reservations now. The Banquet website is www.ygwevents.com/51stBanquet/ Full information, online reservations, ads, and inquiries may be made through the site or you may email email@example.com
Food Gemach partners with Food Bank – To meet increasing needs, the Yehuda Mond Foundation, in partnership with the Capital Area Food Bank, makes available, free of charge, non-perishable kosher food. For more information visit http://foodgemach.org
Charity in Memory of Avraham Khaldar – The Khaldar family is raising funds to help support a new Yeshiva in the Old City of Jerusalem, headed by the Chief Rabbi of the Old City, HaRav Avigdor Neventzal, Shlita. The funds will be used to directly support a Chabura to learn Torah in memory of Avraham. If you would like to support, please make out a check to "Toras Yisrael Yevorchu Metzion," with "Zichron Avraham" in the memo, and send to Eitan Khaldar at 11305 Monticello Ave.
Job Assist Events:
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – Sponsored by Kathryn Troutman. (1) Navigate the Schedule A Hiring Process–for Persons with Disabilities. Monday, January 5, 11:00 AM to 11:30 AM. (2) 10 Steps to a Federal Job, Tuesday, January 6, 12:00 noon to 12:30 PM. (3) 7 Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications, Wednesday, January 7, 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM. Info and register at www.resume-place.com
* College Students – Create your resume over winter break. http://www.resume-place.com/2014/12/college-students-create-killer-resume-winter-break/
Professional Clothing and Coat Drive – Do you have items that are in good condition but could use a new home? Donate today. Contact Adam Bashein for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Good Book for 2015 – Listing members of the Washington area Jewish community, is in preparation. YISE members wishing to be included or to make changes in their listing should contact email@example.com or 410-358-6068. The Good Book will accept listing requests and changes submitted by January 15.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 4 Monday, January 5 Tuesday, January 6 Wednesday, January 7 Thursday, January 8 Friday, January 9
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:46 PM
January 9-10, 2015 – 19 Teves 5775
Light Candles by 4:45 – Havdalah 5:49
* Light Candles by 4:45
Arcola: 4:45 University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:49
Friday, January 2 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, January, 3 Aufruf of Joseph Schlesinger (Hashkamah)
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 3 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, January 5 The Man With The Truck, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM,Arcola Social Hall
Tuesday, January 6 Board of Directors Meeting, 7:30 PM
Wednesday, January 7 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, January 9-10 A Shabbos of Inspiration with the GWCK
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 17 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 7 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director