Parashas Vayechi – December 29-30, 2017
Download the December 29-30, 2017 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 29-30, 2017 – 12 Teves 5778 – Parshas Vayechi
Light Candles by 4:36 – Havdalah 5:40
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Melanie and Sandy Karlin in commemoration of the 40th Yahrtzeit of Bessie Choina (Batya Golda Bas Bentzion), mother of Dolores Schwartz and grandmother of Melanie Karlin.
* Rene & Rami Isser on the engagement of their son Ariel to Elana Horowitz of Teaneck, NJ. Mazal Tov also to Ariel's siblings and their families.
* Jennifer & Dr. Yitzchak Cohen on the engagement of their son Sam to Jordana Sojcher of Givat Shmuel.
* Light Candles by 4:36
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Ruach: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:40
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Jonathan Bresler, Larry Korb, Arnie Sherman, Dr. Marc Katz, Michael Hourwitz and Chaim Neustadter in memory of their parents: the 5th Yahrtzeit of Harvey Bresler, Chaim Ben Yitzchak, the 6th Yahrtzeit of Minnie Korb, Minah Shifrah Bas Yisrael; the 7th Yahrtzeit of Racie Sherman, Rivka Bas Yosef Yona; the 7th Yahrtzeit of Gerrie Katz, Chana Pesel Bas Dovid; the 31st Yahrtzeit of Larry Katz, Leib Ben Avigdor HaCohen; and Albert Hourwitz, Avraham Mordechai Ben Yitzchak HaLevi; and the 24th Yahrtzeit of Goldie Neustadter, Sara Golda Bas Harav Chaim Eliezer Alter; Dr. Howie and Karen Schulman in memory of: the 34th Yahrtzeit of Howie's mother, Florence Schulman, Faige Bas Yeshaiyah Baer, the 16th Yahrtzeit of Sherrie Schulman, Sahra Leah Bas Avraham Dov; Jack Rutner in memory of: the 29th Yahrtzeit of his mother, Celia Rutner, Rachel Bas Yitzchak HaCohen.
* 8:00 Minyan – Meshullam & Elene Feigenbaum and Mark & Laura Warshawsky in honor of the birth of their grandson born to Adina and David Warshawsky
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna & Avi Perez
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* NEXT WEEK: GWCK invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics Lecture by Rabbi Brahm Weinberg: "Judging Favorably: When and Why to Give the Benefit of the Doubt." Sunday, January 7 at 9:30 AM at YISE.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will not take place this week
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher – will not take place this week
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Mother (figure)/Daughter paint night with Talya Weinberg! Sunday January 21, 5:45 PM – 7:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall. $30 for mom+1, $40 for mom + 2, $50 max. There are only 75 spots available, so make sure to RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org soon to reserve your spots! Ages 6 and up.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – There will be a Ruach Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary this Friday night, Dec. 29 (Parshas Vayechi). There will be another Minyan downstairs for those who prefer an alternative.
TEAM Shabbos – YISE joins with the national TEAM (Traditional End-of-Life Awareness Movement) Shabbos project, sponsored by the National Association of Chevra Kadisha, to discuss end-of-life related matters from a Jewish perspective. Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak at the 8:45 Minyan about "Appreciating the Philosophy Behind Challenging End-of-Life Halachic Conversations." Rabbi Silver will speak at the 9:15 Minyan about "Traditional Jewish Burial Customs: Dignity of the Body and Soul."
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, December 30, 6:45 PM, Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun! This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by David and Judy Marwick in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Silver and their families.
Judaica and Seforim Sale – Sunday, December 31 (9:00 AM – 9:00 PM) and Monday, January 1 (9:00 AM – 6:00 PM), YISE Social Hall. Come fill in the gaps in your library and find great gifts as well. Bring your Shaimos for proper disposal for a nominal fee.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, January 1, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, January 3, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler will speak about the lunar calendar.
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 1: Sunday, January 7, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. Part 2: Sunday, February 11, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall.
Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the STAR-K. Wednesday, January 10, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM, YISE Social Hall. Thrip cloths available for $7. This program is open to men and women.
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 28, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM, at KMS, cosponsored by KMS and YISE to benefit CHANA, a Jewish response to domestic violence. Drop off gently used clothing, coats, shoes, linens, purses, and stuffed animals (no toys.) Volunteers are needed to help sort and to drive the clothing to Baltimore on Sunday after the drive. To volunteer or for more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org Get tax deduction receipts at the drive or email email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: An Inspirational Shabbos ¡V GWCK, in conjunction with YISE, presents An Inspirational Shabbos: Connecting through Torah, Tefillah and Song. Shabbos Parshas Yisro, February 2-3, 2018 at YISE.
* Thought-provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK
* Elegant, enjoyable catered Friday Night family dinner
* Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Rabbi Baruch Levine
Stay tuned for more information!
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT¡¨L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Disability Inclusion Committee is seeking helpful feedback from individuals and families within our community who have challenges that could benefit from added accommodations. If you or a member of your family has a visible or invisible disability, including ones that result from illness or aging, we would like to arrange for a confidential interview to learn more about your YISE experience. Please contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-675-6684.
Teacher's Assistants and Substitutes
Are you in college and looking for a part time job? Are you looking for an exciting career in the field of Early Childhood Education or looking to return to work?
Shomrai Preschool is seeking a morning Assistant Teacher, Extended Care teachers (3-6PM Wed & Thur), and substitute teachers. We are looking for someone who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a high school diploma, ECE 90 Hour Course with experience preferred. Candidate needs to be fingerprinted, pass a background check and be trained in CPR/First Aid.
Come learn about our school by visiting our website at http://nursery.yise.org Please send cover letter and resume to the attention of Ruthie Cohen at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up.¡¨
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT¡¨L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman¡¦s Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 30, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
Federal Holiday Learning Program ¡V Pesik Reisha: Halachic Applications of Unintended Actions. Monday, January 1, New Year's Day, for men at the YGW Boys Campus. Breakfast at 9:00 AM, Chavrusa learning at 9:30 AM, Shiur by Rabbi Reingold at 10:40 AM. For more information, contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 3, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Community Science Lecture – Ma rabu ma¡¦asecha – Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations. Sunday, January 7, 12:30 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. ¡§Things that Go BOOM in the Night (and Day): Nuclear Weapons and Their Effects" by Dr. Michael (Mechy) J. Frankel, Astra Analytics. Torah Insights by Rabbi Yitzchak Grossman, GWCK. For more info: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Free Job Search Webinars – Both on Monday, January 8:
* Cracking the Code to Your Federal Job Search, 8:00 PM to 8:30 PM
* Moving Forward in Your Career, 8:45 PM to 9:15 PM
Presented by Corliss Jackson. Register at www.FederalJobResults.com/events
Camp Chaverim – Registration is now open! Early Bird Special available until Dec. 31st. Dates for this summer: June 27- July 24. Three Divisions: Camper Division, Senior Division, CIT-Waiter Division. For more info. and to see our new camp video, visit our website at chaverimovernight.com or call 410-925-2257 or email Chaverim.email@example.com
CPR Class – Sunday, February 11, 12 noon at YISE. Full certification class administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. It will be infant & child CPR ONLY, with no adult CPR component. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, which will include both CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. The (subsidized) cost for the class will be $35 per person. Payment by cash, credit card, check, or Paypal to NOVA Cert, LCC at the event. Estimated time for the class is 2-1/2 to 3 hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). If interested, please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in the babysitting preparation class.
Boys Baseball Registration for 1st-5th grade is now open! This spring Ko-ach Sports is back for another great season of Sunday baseball. Sign up now to reserve your spot and save on registration fees. Register before January 12 to take advantage of the early-bird savings! More information at www.Ko-achSports.com
Are you a Member of The Mikvah Emunah Society?
We know the Mitzvah of Taharat Hamishpacha (family purity) is private, but community support of the Mikvah is not! According to the Talmud, the importance of having a Mikvah ranks even higher in Jewish law than that of having a synagogue (Megilla 27a). Please support the Mikvah Emunah Society in its important work by becoming a member in 2018.
Your membership donation of $360 or above allows you to use the Mikvah with no usage fee for 2018 and is tax-deductible. But more importantly, your membership contribution allows the Mikvah to remain an integral component of Jewish life and the Jewish community. Please respond today by sending a check to Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington, P.O. Box 1714, Silver Spring, MD 20915, or contribute online at www.mikvahemunah.com/Membership
Your support is greatly needed and appreciated.
The Week Ahead
Sunday December 31 Monday, Jan. 1 – New Year's Day Tuesday January 2 Wednesday January 3 Thursday January 4 Friday January 5
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20
Ashkenazi 4:45 4:45 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:45 PM
January 5-6, 2018 – 19 Teves 5778
Light Candles by 4:41 – Havdalah 5:45
* Light Candles by 4:41
Ashkenazi: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:45
Friday, December 29 Ruach Minyan, 4:40 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 30 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Sun./Mon. Dec. 31/Jan. 1 Seforim Sale, Sun. 9 AM–9 PM Mon. 9AM-6 PM
Wednesday, January 3 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall
Shabbos, January 6 Bar Mitzvah of Meir Orlansky, 8:45 Main Minyan
Sunday, January 7 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women, 7:00 PM
Monday, January 8 Basic Colors, 12:30 PM – 6:00 PM
Wednesday, January 10 Bug Checking Seminar, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 3 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday – Closed
Tuesday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager