Download the December 28-29 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 28-29, 2012 – 16 Tevet 5773 – Parshas Vayechi
Light Candles by 4:35 – Havdalah 5:39
* Light Candles by 4:35
* Mincha 4:30 (Sephardi), 4:35 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:15 (Sephardi), 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:39
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Josh Blaustein
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Ronald Sheinson's family in honor of his birthday.
* 8 AM Minyan – The extended Becker family in celebration of the birth of Leeba Orah and the birthdays of Tenise, Yiri, Dovi, Moshe, and Shua.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur at 4:00 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Youth and Nursery Announcements
* The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
* Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick child(ren) up promptly.
* The Youth Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
* YISE Nursery Presents – Torah for Tots for 16 months and up and their parents or care givers, with Morah Elise Schloss. Join us for: puppets and Parsha stories, singing and circle time, Shabbos party, socialization, arts and crafts. Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. YISE Nursery, 813 University Blvd West. 301-593-7365. Starting on January 4th, 2013. 10 Fridays for $80. Register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
* YISE Nursery Presents – Camp Shomrai Winter 2013 – Hot chocolate, camp stories, snow balls (if we have any), snow castles, snow men, sno-cones. Send your child for an adventure-filled week of team building and task oriented fun. Davening, arts, crafts, special visitors, dramatic play, sports and games, and building projects will spark the interests and stoke the imaginations of all our campers. Ages 2 through 3rd grade. Dates and times: Tuesday, January 22, through Friday January 25th, $40 per day – 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Extended AM – 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM $8.50 per day.Extended PM (Tuesday through Thursday only) 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM $8.50 per hour per day. Healthy snacks and drinks provided. Please send pareve or dairy lunch. Contact Lianne Heller for more information (301)593-7365 or email@example.com.
* Flora Berner on her 99th Birthday, and on the birth of her great-great-grandson to Shify & Shmuel Sperling of Jerusalem.
* Jonathan Bresler and family on the passing of his father, Harvey Bresler. The funeral was Thursday. Shiva will be observed at the Bresler home, 1206 North Belgrade Road, through Wednesday morning. Minyan times: Shacharis, Sun. and Tues. (New Year's Day): 7:30 AM, Mon.: 6:45 AM, Wed.: 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sun., Mon., Tues.: 4:40 PM. The family requests no visitors between 12:00 noon and 1:00 PM, between 5:30 PM and 6:30 PM or after 8:00 PM.
* Mayer Samuels on the passing of his father, Albert Samuels. The funeral was in New York. Shiva will be held through Sunday morning, with Shacharis at 8:30 AM, at their home, 11723 Stonington Place.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Mondays at 8:30 PM, at his home, 11403 Cloverhill Drive. Currently learning the fifth Chalek.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesday (this week only) and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the exciting topic of "Lifnei Ivar: Causing Others Harm or to Sin." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Tuesday, January 1, New Year's Day – the YISE minyan schedule, including University Blvd., will be on a Sunday schedule. The YISE Nursery is open on New Year's Day on a regular schedule. Anyone driving to minyan at University Blvd. on New Year's Day should park in the church lot next door. Please do NOT park in the shul driveway as that would prevent parents from driving through to drop off their children for Nursery.
Sanctuary Lighting – The blinking lights in the sanctuary are due to a ballast problem. Unfortunately, after the front lights were fixed several other ballasts went bad. As soon as the electrician has the supplies, all of the ballasts will be replaced in the next week or two. Shortly after the 1st of the year, a lighting consultant will help us to design new lighting for the sanctuary. Our goal is replace the current lighting with something more attractive and brighter in the next 3-4 months.
The Haimish Kiddush Group is starting its fourth year in 2013. The Group would like to invite you to join us in this wonderful endeavor. The cost to become a member is $100. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 8 AM Minyan Kiddush is made possible through the much-needed support of many people. You can support the kiddush too! Become a member of the Chevra, or sign up for the once-monthly kiddush setup and clean up rotation. Speak to Stuart Cohen or email@example.com to get involved.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, January 7, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215 (Mr. Marvin Konick's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman – 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Assist Events:
* Summer Jobs for 2013 – Deadlines for next summer are closing. Info on how to find a job or internship for next summer is available from DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* Social Networking – OU webinars on LinkedIn and Facebook are available at www.oujobs.org/seminars.
* Conquer the Federal Hiring Process – Learn insider tips on federal job searches and master navigation of USAjobs.gov. Wednesday, January 9, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Register (required) at www.jssa.org.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service credit may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com.
All the news that fits The Shabbos Shorts is primarily a vehicle for informing YISE members of upcoming Shul events, Shiurim, programs, schedules, etc. In the remaining space, we provide a sampling of the many activities in the surrounding, vibrant Jewish community. At holidays there are just too many special Shiurim & programs for us to list them all. We try to offer a wide range and to include as many organizations as possible. To increase the odds that your item will be included, make sure to email it to firstname.lastname@example.org before the weekly deadline at noon on Wednesday.
DON'T GET TOWED! DON'T PARK IN OUR OLD LOT!
Parkland Pool has closed the gate to their parking lot. YISE members must park by Ben Yehuda, not by Parkland pool, or risk being towed. Details are available at: http://www.yise.org/parking-2012.pdf
Community Programs and Listings
Bnei Akiva Snif this week is from 3:00 PM -4:20 PM at KMS.Walking groups will leave YISE at 2:30 PM.
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, 7:00 PM-8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
YGW Boys (Seniors vs. Faculty) Basketball Game – with the drawing of the generator raffle at halftime! Motzei Shabbos, December 29, 7:30 PM at the Girls School Campus – 2010 Linden Lane, $5 entry fee. Come support the Yeshiva Senior class and have fun at the same time!
Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington training. Training in Tahara practices is for new members and serves as refresher for others. Led by Rabbi Elchonon Zohn, who heads the Chevra Kadisha of Queens, NY.
YISE Social Hall, Tuesday, January 1. General training from 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM; training for leaders will run from 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM. Free of charge. Please share with those who may be interested in joining the Chevra kadisha. For more information, please call Devorah Grayson at 301-593-3285. Light refreshments will be served.
Franco Foundation. Poor Jewish families and individuals live, unknown to most of us, underemployed, with almost depleted assets, but not short of hope and dignity. With your help, and with discretion, the Franco Foundation helps these families stay float. Please send your generous, tax-deductible contributions to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Weekday morning Shiurim with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Rabbi Moshe Alshich Hakadosh commentaries on the Torah from 8:45 AM-9:45 AM and in-depth Gemara Shiur on Mesechta Pesachim including Meforshim from 9:45 AM-10:45 AM. For more information 240-423-8810. Shiurim at 609 Hyde Rd.
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www. seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Marcia Custer at 301-962-0820.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 30 Monday, December 31 Tuesday, Jan. 1 New Year's Day Wednesday, January 2 Thursday, January 3 Friday, January 4
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:30 8:00 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 7:30 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 See Shabbos schedule
University 4:45 7:15 (Maariv) 4:45 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:44 PM
January 4-5, 2013 – 23 Tevet 5773 Parshas
Shemos – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:41 – Havdalah 5:44
* Light Candles by 4:41
* Mincha 4:40 (Sephardi), 4:45 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:25 (Sephardi), 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:44
Wednesday, Jan. 2 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 5 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, Jan. 7 Man With The Truck, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM, Arcola
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Jan. 2, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mon., Wed. and Thurs. 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director