Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 25-26, 2015 – 14 Teves 5776 – Parshas Vayechi
Light Candles by 4:33 – Havdalah 5:36
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Shalva & Enoch Resnick in honor of the birth of their grandson, Yaakov.
YISE is participating in the nationwide TEAM Shabbos effort, in which Shuls around the country are utilizing this Shabbos as an opportunity to discuss issues relating to end of life and death. Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Silver will both speak Shabbos morning on topics related to this theme.
• Sarah & David Maslow on the birth of a granddaughter, Orlee Tziona Rena, born to Bat-Sheva & Jonathan Maslow of West Hartford, CT.
* Harriet & Elliot Jacob on the birth of a grandson, Zechariah Shmuel, born to Goldie & Jacob Milner of Baltimore.
* Shalva & Enoch Resnick on the birth of a grandson, Yaakov, born to Nurit Chana & Yisrael Loberboim of Israel.
* Janis & Ronnie Sterling on the birth of a grandson, Dvir Kalman, born to Erit & Yehoshua Rabinowitz and big sister Bina of Elazar, Israel.
* The family of member Edith Milgram. The funeral took place on Sunday, with burial on Monday. Shiva will be observed at the Milgram home, 11213 Monticello Ave., through Shacharis on Sunday morning at 8:00.
* Light Candles by 4:33
Arcola: 4:35 University: N/A Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:30 University: N/A Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:36
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum – What can we do now to help our loved ones when we pass?
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver – The Value of Human Life
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Rochelle & Baruch Wertenteil to celebrate the dedication of the new Aron Kodesh in the small Beis Medrash and to thank Josh Seidemann for all of his hard work and talent in making this project happen.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Help make a Minyan! For the past 2+ years volunteers have been successfully helping University make a Minyan as needed for Shabbos. Unfortunately, due to people moving away, etc. we are again looking for additional volunteers to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Shabbos Minyan. The expectation is that you will be called on only about four times a year. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of this endeavor.
NEXT WEEK: Shabbos, January 1-2: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein. Director, Interfaith Affairs, Simon Wiesenthal Center; Adjunct Chair, Jewish Law & Ethics, Loyola Law School; Co-Founder, Cross-Currents, Journal of Orthodox Thought.
* Friday Evening, 8:00 PM, light refreshments: Interfaith Alliances and the Support of Israel
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): Why the World Still Needs the Jews? – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv: How (Not) to Teach Aggada to Children of All Ages: Chazal and Allegoric Method
NEXT WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 2, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, January 4, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM, 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
YISE Meaningful Tefillah Project – Classes on Shabbos Davening continue on Monday January 4, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM with Rabbi Ozzie Burnham. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Three C's of Positive Parenting: Communication, Consequences, Consistency – Join us for this YISE Youth sponsored parent education workshop. Monday, January 11, 2016 at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Veteran educator Susan Koss will speak about creating a healthy parenting environment for all the children in your family. Come and please bring your friends. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
YISE Directory Update – Lew Sosnowik's phone number in the directory is incorrect. His number is 301-649-0568.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cheryl Broth (email@example.com).
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Parsha Shenanigans – Please join us this week for fun Parsha activities! Delicious snacks! Awesome prizes!: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth is going to the Washington Capitals vs. Ottawa Senators game on Sunday, January 10 at 7:00 PM. Tickets are sold out. See you there!
SAVE THE DATE: Shaimos or Shame on Us: Are we throwing out things we shouldn't? Sunday, February 7, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of former member Marguerite Wimer. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva will be observed at the home of Rose Miller, 320 Southwest Drive, until Wednesday morning.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
YGW Girls Division Open House for Parents of 6th Grade Girls – Monday, December 28, 8:00 PM at the YGW Girls Campus. Come meet the administration, department chairs, and teachers. Learn about the school and its programs. To RSVP, for more information or if the above date is inconvenient, please contact Rabbi Scott Hillman, at 301-962-5111 ext. 1553, email@example.com for a personal tour or meeting.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 6, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. No meeting December 30. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Reicha: Making Sense of the Halachic Status of Scents – Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men, New Year's Day, Friday, January 1, with Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for Chavrusa learning. Light refreshments will be served. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM; Shiur 9:45 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington – Tiferes Gedaliah – 52nd Annual Banquet – Honoring: Sarah & Emil Braun, Rachel & Rabbi Ozzie Burnham, and Rabbi Tani Prero. Ambassador Ron Dermer will deliver special remarks on the current situation in Israel. Sunday, January 10, 6:00 PM. University of Maryland Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center. To RSVP, to place an ad or for more information, contact: email@example.com, 301-962-5111, Donna Goldman ext. 1552, Rabbi Binyamin Sanders ext. 1510, Rabbi Simmy Merkin ext. 1522 or www.yeshiva.edu Please RSVP by December 30.
Summer Jobs for 2016 – Kathryn Troutman will present a free webinar on Federal Internship Resumes, Tuesday, January 5, 4:00 PM. Info and register at http://www.resume-place.com/services/free-webinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job For information on finding a summer job for 2016, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
As you contemplate your year end giving , please consider YISE as a worthy candidate for your gift.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 27 Monday, December 28 Tuesday, December 29 Wednesday, December 30 Thursday, December 31 Friday, Jan. 1 – New Year's Day
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45
Sephardi 7:30 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:10 7:30
Arcola 4:40 4:40, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:40, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:40, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:40, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:43 PM
January 1-2, 2016 – 21 Teves 5776
Light Candles by 4:38 – Havdalah 5:41
* Light Candles by 4:38
Arcola: 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:41
Shabbos, January 1-2 Scholar-in-Residence: Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 2 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:00 PM
Friday, January 8 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 4:45 PM
Monday, January 11 The Three C's of Positive Parenting:
Communication, Consequences, Consistency
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 30 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Closed Friday
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director