Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 4-5, 2016 – 25 Adar 1 5776
Parshas Vayakhel, Parshas Shekalim, Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:46 – Havdalah 6:46
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Barbara Price and family in commemoration of the eleventh Yahrzeit (25th of Adar 1) of Stanley Billauer, Shlomo Ben Shmuel Binyamin.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Ayala, to their grandchildren Adi & Avromi Brown, of Brooklyn, NY.
* Rene & Rami Isser on the birth of a grandson to Pola & David Isser of Henderson, NV. Mazal Tov to his aunt and uncles Esther & Yonatan, Ariel and Eitan
* Melanie & Sandy Karlin on their son, Raphael, receiving Semicha from the Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary of Yeshiva University. Mazal Tov to the entire Karlin, Schwartz and Stollman families.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their grandson, Hillel Miller, son of D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Baltimore to Yehudis Bleeman, daughter of Suzie & Aaron Bleeman of Toronto. Mazal tov also to grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Z'ev and Eva & Avraham Bleeman of Toronto and to great-grandmother Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Helene Zeltser and family on the birth of a grandson to Brittany & Daniel Zeltser of Dallas, Texas.
* Light Candles by 5:46
Arcola: 5:50, Ruach University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:45 University: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:46
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Hillel Kober in memory of his grandmother, Chaya Bat Azreal.
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Sandy & Melanie Karlin in honor of the birth of their grandson, Meir Yehuda, son of Sarah & Matthew Karlin; the engagement of their son, Benjy, to Dalya Lerner; the birth of their granddaughter, Tova Kayla, daughter of Shayna & Raphael Karlin; and in honor of Raphael receiving Semicha.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:45 PM
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Shoftim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS WEEK: Ruach Minyan – Friday, March 4 at 5:50 in the Arcola Social Hall. Though there is no formal children's program, all are welcome to join and bring in Shabbos with us. If you have any questions or would like further information, email email@example.com
THIS WEEK: Final Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, March 5, 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Aliza, Gil, Simcha, and Bina Chlewicki in memory of Aliza's father, Robert Sacknovitz, on the occasion of his second Yahrzeit on 13 Adar 2. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
I'll Say Amen to That! What makes communal prayer special? Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his class: Tefilah B'Tzibur – The Unique Aspects of Communal Prayer, on Monday night March 7 with a focus on Kaddish. Join us in the Belonofsky Sanctuary from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. The final class on March 14 will focus on the Kedushah. Open to all. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Symposium with The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington – The community is invited to explore the worlds of Kashrus, conversion, financial arbitration, divorce proceedings, and more. Sunday, March 13, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at YISE.
Everything You Always Wanted to Ask a Pediatrician: Great Tips for Raising Healthy Kids of all Ages – YISE Youth Presents a lecture with Dr. Lynn Trombka, Sunday, March 13, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Texas Kosher BBQ (of Dallas, TX) Pop Up – Monday March 14, 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM (or until we sell out) at YISE. Menu will include: signature chopped beef, signature pulled chicken, hotdogs, and chili dogs, as well as drinks, corn on the cob, cole slaw, and homemade Texas baked beans. Seating available in the Social Hall. Menu and pricing are available online. Cash or check only please! No reservations taken. We sell until we sell out. A portion of the proceeds to benefit YISE.
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2016-2017 is now OPEN! Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301-593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! Early bird discount is available until March 1. For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L – The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3
Honoree: Barbara Price
Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld
Youth Honorees: Shani Breitstein, Jessie Franco and Ahuva Wakschlag
RSVP using the card or contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 or email@example.com or visit www.yise.org/banquet
The reservation deadline is March 23 and the Journal deadline is March 20.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Kiddush Club.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Mazal Tov to Gita & Charles Siegman on the birth in Yerushalayim of a great granddaughter, Noa Sol, to the grandparents, Atara & Joel Stein, and to the new parents, Michal & Menachem Schechter.
Condolences to the family of former member Meyer Kleinerman, Z"L. Shiva was completed in Israel before Shabbos.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, March 5 with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 4:00 PM.
Topics in Jewish History – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proud to host Mrs. Esther Schwarz for a three part Shiur for women only. Monday evenings at 8:00 PM, concludes on March 7, at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman. For more information contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman. Donations accepted.
Aliyah Event of the Year – Tuesday, March 8, at the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington at 6:30 PM. Hear from professionals about employment, communities, education, taxes, budgeting and retirement in Israel, and featuring a Vendor Fair running throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to meet and network with other people planning Aliyah. For more information: www.nbn.org.il/washington
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 9, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about andfind out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Ma Rabu Ma'asecha … Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations – The community is invited to join us for the next thoughtprovoking Community Science Lecture Series with Dr. Theo Heller. Sunday, March 13, 12:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111, ext. 1553.
The Desk – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson Upper School HADAS. Thursday, March 31, 7:00 PM, BHA Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. Tickets: $7.00 adults, $5.00 students/ seniors. Be an angel and support our play. If you would like to support HADAS and our play, contact Eliana Elikan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Federal Job Search: Cracking the Code – Free webinar, Tuesday, March 8, 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
* LinkedIn Training – Free Webinar. Tuesday, March 8, 2:00 PM and 8:00 PM, and Wednesday, March 9, 10:00 AM. Register at www.LinkedInRiches.com
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on Monday, March 7, with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Thoughts on Purim. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Purim Extravaganza – Join the YISE and KMS youth departments for a community-wide Purim celebration on Sunday, March 20, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at YISE. $6.00 per person (2 and up). $20 family max. Cotton candy, family sing-along, moon bounces, face paint, games, prizes, food, fun and friends.
Battling Amalek in our Times – Pre-Purim Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, March 20 (NOTE NEW DATE), at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Fifteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Thursday, March 24 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room, 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers).The Shiur ends by 11:00 AM.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community's children by ordering our beautiful full color, glossy Purim cards featuring our very own students! Order: 3 cards for $6, 10 cards for $18, 20 cards for $36, 30 cards for $54, 40 cards for $72 (envelopes included). Contact email@example.com or 301-593-7365 and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards available for pickup from Shul office or Shomrai Nursery.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or Hope Taragin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will bedistributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 6 Monday, March 7 Tuesday, March 8 Wednesday, March 9 Thurs., March 10 – Rosh Chodesh Fri., March 11 – Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:00, 7:10 6:00, 7:10
Arcola 5:55 5:55, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:55, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:55, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:55, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:41 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:20 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:50 PM
March 11-12, 2016 – 2 Adar 2 5776
Light Candles by 5:53 – Havdalah 6:53
* Light Candles by 5:53
Arcola: 5:55 University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:50 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:53
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
Motzei Shabbos, March 5 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:45 PM
Monday, March 7 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, March 13 Symposium with The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington
Monday March 14 Texas Kosher BBQ Pop Up
Sunday, March 20 Purim Extravaganza
Sunday, April 3 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 9 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director