Parashas Vayakhel-Pekudei/Parah – March 13-14, 2015
Download the March 13-14, 2015 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 13-14, 2015 – 23 Adar 5775
Parshas Vayakhel-Pekudei – Parshas Parah – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 6:54 – Havdalah 7:54
* Light Candles by 6:54
Arcola: 6:55 University: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:45 University: 6:45 Sephardi: 6:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:54
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Chaim Neustadter, on the Yahrzeit of his father, Israel Neustadter, Israel Reuven Ben Alexander Sender.
* 8:00 Minyan – Bonnie Billig in honor of the Aufruf and forthcoming marriage of her son, Sam.
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh" sponsored by Warren Goldman on the lst Yahrzeit of his father, Isadore Goldman, Yisroel Dovid Ben Chaim Aryeh.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:15 PM.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the birth of a granddaughter, Breyna Ahava, born to Shanie & Billy Bokor of Chicago. Mazal Tov to all the uncles, aunts and family
* Becky & Yitzchak Langer on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Rechel. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sue & Ray White and Anne & Tom Langer.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the upcoming wedding of their granddaughter, Shira, daughter of Shoshana & Ari Lerner of Baltimore, to Shmuli Berglas, son of Robin & Shaya Berglas of Toronto. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Carole & Morty Pancer of Kemp Mill, Sheila & Larry Tover of Tarzana, CA and to great-grandma, Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the Purim Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Mordechai Yehuda Meyers, in Cleveland. Mazal tov to the parents Hadassa & Dr. Oren Meyers, grandparents Malka & Rabbi Melvin Granatstein, and siblings Leora, Eli, Yoni, and Avi.
* Gloria & Arnie Sherman on the birth of a granddaughter, Merav Ruthie, to their children, Dahlia & Yoni Weinberg of Sharon, Massachusetts, and Mazal Tov to the big sister, Yardena, and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on Monday, March 16 with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "The Experience of the Jews in Egypt." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, and Haggadahs – Adults-only event run by YISE Youth to help parents/grandparents learn new ways to enhance the Seder experience for their children/grandchildren, while enjoying a night out with BBQ. Sunday, March 22, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Social Hall. $10 per person, payable at the door. Please see the flyer on the electronic board and RSVP to email@example.com
Dedicate a Window – YISE is raffling off the dedication of the two recently installed stained-glass windows. One ticket: $36. Three tickets: $100. Drawing at YISE on April 15. Tickets must be paid for by 5:00 PM on April 14. To order tickets, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a check payable to YISE marked "Window raffle"or to pay by credit card, call Simi Franco in the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403. Questions? email@example.com
Annual Yom HaShoah Program – Mr. Isaac Gendelman, who survived during the Holocaust in the woods near his town of Rokitno, Poland, will be this year's featured speaker. Sunday, April 19, at YISE, 7:30 PM. Looking for students in 9th -12th grade who would be interested in participating in the youth program for the community-wide Yom HaShoah program. Please contact Rene Isser at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debby Levitt at email@example.com if you are interested.
Be Part of Global Good Deeds Day and join us on Sunday, March 15 from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM:
* Clowning and Parade Event – join YISE, BCGW and other Jewish organizations at The Hebrew Home. Meet at 1:00 PM in the lobby. Bring your funny hats and costumes and make the residents smile. Upper School students can receive community service hours Limited to 15 volunteers. To sign up, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Park Cleanup at the Kemp Mill Park and Sligo Creek Park – Join YISE and other Jewish organizations in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com for more information.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from four classes.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Shiur on the Haggadah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
The Fifth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 25, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. Only 45% of the sections claimed. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Pepper Family as a Hoda'a to Hashem.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur will be held on Monday, March 23, 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Handmade Shmurah Matzah, regular or whole wheat, will be available from Shatzer Bakery at $22 per pound. Order deadline is Wednesday, March 18. To order, send an e-mail to email@example.com and include the number of pounds of regular and whole wheat. Matzah may be picked up Wednesday, March 25, and Thursday, March 26, from 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. Online ordering at www.yise.org/matzah
Hachnosas Orchim – The Hospitality Committee is looking for volunteers to host people for Pesach (including the Sedarim). If you are willing to host, please contact the Hospitality Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with how many people you can host and what meals. Additionally, if you need to be set up for a meal on Pesach, please contact the committee with the meal(s) you need.
Food Drive Meets Soaring Need – Our annual Food Drive goes from March 9 through March 30, benefiting over 500,000 people in our region struggling with hunger. Your donations, which go to the Capital Area Food Bank, also help Jewish individuals and families in our communities to fill their pantries through the Yehuda Mond Foundation, an authorized distributor of the Food Bank. YISE is taking part, along with many other synagogues in the area, and organizations such as our day schools, community centers, and apartment complexes. Please bring unopened and non-perishable cans and boxes of food to the container outside the Social Hall.
Pre-Pesach Boutique – Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Sunday, March 22, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the home of the Maybergs, 411 Hermleigh Road (enter through event doors next to garage). Featuring hats, shells, skirts, tops, leggings, jewelry, serving pieces and Rhonda's Raffles. Contact Rhonda at 301 351-1725 or email@example.com A portion of the proceeds benefit BCGW.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation – Donate on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, or mail to 812 Hyde Court. Please mark your checks for, "Maos Chitim."
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 18, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Pirchei is Starting! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to Pirchei! Begining this Shabbos, Parshas Vayakhel-Pekudei, March 14, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Mary Murphy at 301-962-0820.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Project Management for Beginners – Online. Series of 7 classes starts on Monday, March 16. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 15 Monday, March 16 Tuesday, March 17 Wednesday, March 18 Thursday, March 19 Friday, March 20
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:13 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
March 20-21, 2015 – 1 Nissan 5775
Parshas Vayikra – Parshas Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:01 – Havdalah 8:01
* Light Candles by 7:01
Arcola: 7:05 University: 7:05 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 7:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:01
Shabbos, March 14 Aufruf of Samuel Billig, 8:00 Minyan
Wednesday, March 18 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, YISE Nursery School will be singing.
Sunday, March 22 Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and Haggadahs, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Monday, March 23 Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 18 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director