Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 24-25, 2017 – 27 Adar 5777
Parshas Vayakhel Pekudei – Parshas Hachodesh – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:06 – Havdalah 8:06
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Florence Avigan on the engagement of her granddaughter, Batya Barzel, daughter of Joy & Motti Barzel of Jerusalem, to Motti Schecter, son of Leah & Zev Schecter of Bnai Brak. Mazal Tov also to Aunt Karen & Uncle Howie Schulman and to all the family.
* Sima & Dr. Spencer Gakner on the birth of a granddaughter, Ahuva Liba, to their children, Lee-El & Binyamin Mandel of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to grandparents Susan & Kenny Mandel of Elizabeth, NJ.
* Melanie & Sandy Karlin on their son Raphael being a Musmach at the Chag Hasmicha of the Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary of Yeshiva University this past Sunday. Mazal Tov to the entire Karlin, Schwartz and Stollman families.
* Amy & Reuven Mizrahi on the marriage of their daughter, Hanna, to Yitzchok Shapiro, son of Feige & Rabbi Yaakov Shapiro of Brooklyn. Mazal Tov to all Mizrahi and Shapiro siblings, nieces, nephews, extended family and honored grandmother.
* Sarah & Yitzie Sandberg on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter Avigail Sandberg. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents Donna & Aaron Sandberg and Anne & Scott Schlesinger and to Avigail's siblings Tzvi and Elana.
* Elaine & Jerry Taragin on the marriage of their grandson, Ozzie Marizan, son of Deborah & Aiton Marizan, of Baltimore, to Miriam Tarshish, daughter of Adina & Shmuel Tarshish, also of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to Aunt Judy & Uncle Mitch Taragin and the entire Mishpacha.
* Sandy Karlin and Matthew Karlin on the passing of their father and grandfather, Charles Karlin. The funeral took place in Virginia Beach, VA on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at the Karlin home, 822 Bromley Street, through Tuesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Mincha/Maariv: Sunday and Monday at 7:05. Shacharis: Sunday at 8:00, Monday at 6:45, Tuesday (Rosh Chodesh) at 6:35.
* Zipporah Rosenblatt on the passing of her sister, Shifrah Wollner. The funeral took place on Friday in Baltimore. Shiva will be observed at 6414 Park Heights Avenue, Apartment E2, Baltimore, through Thursday morning.
* Light Candles by 7:06
Arcola: 6:30, 7:10 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 University: N/A Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:06
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Fran & Alan Broder in honor of Alan's birthday, and in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of Alan's grandfather, Morris Broder, Moshe Ben Zechariah Menachem Mendel.
* Sephardi Minyan – Bernice & Eddie Cohen and Karen & Allan Franco in honor of Rabbi Levy's 25 years of service.
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh”
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – Yitz, Shayna, and Joey in honor of the anniversary of their father's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on April 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on April 25.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume on April 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on April 26.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT”L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz – will not meet this week.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Special Topic: Seder and the Haggadah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – will not meet on Tuesday.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pesach HaShomer – The deadline for the Pesach edition of the HaShomer has been extended to Monday, March 27. Please contact email@example.com or call Simi Franco in the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403. If you are submitting an article or ad, please let us know ASAP so we can reserve space.
Nominations Sought – The YISE Nominating Committee is seeking nominations (and self-nominations) for open board of director and officer seats. Among the positions to be filled are president and treasurer. Please send nominations (and/or questions) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Wine Tasting – You are invited to a wine tasting with Jeff Morgan, winemaker and co-proprietor of Covenant Winery. Motzei Shabbos, March 25, 9:00 PM – 10:30 PM at YISE. EVENT IS SOLD OUT.
Global Good Deeds Day – Sunday, April 2: Join in a park cleanup, any time between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM! Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome. Visit http://www.shalomdc.org/kempmillparkgdd2017 Good Deeds Day 2017 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; our Park Cleanup project is organized by YISE, KMS, Berman, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, April 3, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, May 21
Honoring: Estee & Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Community Service Award: Iris & Adam Bashein
If you would like to be on the committee please contact Sharon Shimoff (email@example.com) or Michael Shimoff (firstname.lastname@example.org)
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Join YISE Youth for our 3rd annual trip to Sandy Spring Adventure Park on Lag Ba'Omer, Sunday, May 14 from 5:00 PM – 8:30 PM. (Children 5 – 6 years old are free with a paid and climbing adult.) See flyer for additional details. There are only 100 spots available. RSVP to email@example.com and make payment ($36.00 per person) to the Shul office by Wednesday, April 19.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to former YISE member Avi Zemelman on the passing of his brother Yitzchak Zemelman. The funeral took place on Wednesday in Israel.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, March 25, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Shabbos Game Club for Kids and Teens! Board game enthusiasts of any age are welcome to join the new game club this Shabbos, March 25, 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM at the Frumkin home at 701 Hyde Road. Club meets every two weeks. RSVP to StephanieFrumkin@yahoo.com
Aerosols and Climate Forcing: New Thoughts, Future Directions – Ma Rabu Ma'asecha … Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations with Dr. Lorraine Remer of UMBC with Torah Insights by Rabbi Berel Wolvovsky of Chabad of Silver Spring. The community is invited to join us on Sunday, March 26, 12:30 PM – Mincha following. At the YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman at 301-962-5111 ext. 1553.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 29, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Linda Silverman Kahan A”H Memorial Lecture and Breakfast – Join Sulam on Sunday, April 2 at 10:00 AM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Guest lecturer David Makovsky will be speaking on the topic of "After 125 Campus Visits – Preliminary Impressions about Israel, BDS, and the Next Generation of American Jews.” Find out more information and register at www.sulam.org/events
Uru Adventure Camp 2017 is starting for boys going into grades 2-5. July 17 – August 18 (weekly rates avail.). 8:30PM – 3:30 PM. Integrated Torah Learning, Daily Hikes, Weekly Themes, Building Life Skills, Weekly Wednesday Trip, Art & Science Enrichment, Overnight Camping Trip, Early Bird Discount by April 2. Led by Rabbi Daniel Moses for more information go to www.uruadventure.com Informational campfire meeting for parents on Sunday, April 30. More details to come.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* JCA 50+ Employment Expo – Free. Monday, April 3, 1 0:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center.
* Questions about this and other workshops may be addressed to DMarwick@JobAssist.org
The Seventh Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT”L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 29, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
Lost and Found – Please take a look through the lost and found for your lost coats and take them home before Pesach! Right before Pesach the lost and found objects will be donated to a worthy cause.
Beyond the Seder: Discussion Topics for the Rest of Pesach – The Pre-Pesach BMZG Community Shiur for men and women with Rabbi Eli Reingold at YISE. Tuesday, March 28, at 8:00 PM. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Order deadline was Friday, March 24. Matzah may be picked up Wednesday, March 29, or Thursday, March 30, from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE in the Arcola Social Hall.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times this coming week (more times will be announced next week):
* Tuesday, March 28: After 6:35 Shacharis and after Mincha / Maariv.
* Thursday, March 30: 9:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Friday, March 31: After 6:55 Shacharis.
* Sunday, April 2: After 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim and after pre-Pesach class (approximately 9:15 PM).
Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum, 301-593-4465 ext 405, to make arrangements to sell your Chometz.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur – Sunday, April 2, 8:15 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
Pre-Pesach Food Drive – Annual Pre-Pesach Food Drive (Chometz Begone), now in its fifteenth year, runs through Wednesday, April 5. Donations go to the Capital Kosher Pantry, which serves hundreds of Jewish individuals and families in our communities. Participating in this drive are diverse organizations, synagogues in Kemp Mill and beyond, schools in the Greater Washington area, food stores, apartment complexes, and a community center. Please bring unopened and non-perishable cans and boxes of food to designated containers. Every little bit helps!
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund” and specifically marked "Maos Chitim” or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Continues to assist those in need. Donations towards the Maos Chitim drive will be distributed before and during Pesach. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at email@example.com
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, please click on the Maos Chitim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
Community Chometz Burning – Monday, April 10, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM at KMS. The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service will be on hand to provide safety information at this community event.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 26 Monday, March 27 Tuesday, March 28 – Rosh Chodesh Wednesday, March 29 Thursday, March 30 Friday, March 31
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:10 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:09 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:02 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
March 31 – April 1, 2017 – 5 Nissan 5777
Light Candles by 7:13 – Havdalah 8:13
* Light Candles by 7:13
Arcola: 6:30, 7:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:10 University: 7:10 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:13
Motzei Shabbos, March 25 Wine Tasting, 9:00 PM – 10:30 PM
Monday, March 27 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon – 6:30 PM
Sunday, April 2 Global Good Deeds Day, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Wednesday, April 5 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall, Program: Arpa Amore Harp Concert
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 29 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager