Parashas Vayakhel-Pekudei – Parashas HaChodesh
Download the March 8-9 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 8-9, 2013 – 27 Adar 5773
Parshas Vayakhel-Pekudei / Parshas HaChodesh / Mevorchim HaChodesh
Light Candles by 5:50 – Havdalah 6:49
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner in honor of the forthcoming marriage of their granddaughter Adina Meira, to Shuey Goldstein, son of Devorah & Yaakov Goldstein of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to Adina's parents, Alyson & Rabbi Dr. Daniel Lerner of Baltimore, grandparents Joan & Dr. Jonathan Pincus of Washington, DC, Mrs. Avrohom Schwartzbaum of Bayit Vegan, Ellen & Cantor Israel Goldstein of Long Island, N.Y. and great-grandmother, Dena Gerber of Baltimore.
* Light Candles by 5:50
* Mincha 5:45 (Sephardi), 5:50 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00*, 8:00 (Sephardi*), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* This week, the Sephardi Minyan will be held in the Arcola Social Hall, at a special time, for Eyal Mordehai's Bar-Mitzvah. The 8 AM Minyan will be held in the Large Beis Medrash.
* Mincha 2:30, 5:20 (Sephardi), 5:35 (Arcola), 5:45 (Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:49
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Ethan Eisen
* 8:45 Minyan R' Pinchas Werner
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Broder family in honor of the anniversary of Alan's Bar Mitzvah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Aviva & David Mordehai in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Eyal.
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:35 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:35 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:05 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement) will resume after Pesach, on April 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume after Pesach on April 10.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall, will resume after Pesach on April 9.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesday evenings at University Blvd. will resume after Pesach.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the exciting topic of "Lifnei Ivar: Causing others harm or to sin." Sunday morning at 9:45 AM, following the Rosenbaum Bris.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
SAVE THE DATE AND MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW!
YISE Annual Banquet, Sunday, April 14, 2013.
Honorees: Laurie & Stuart Cohen.
Young Leadership: Allison & Louis Lazar
Youth Honorees: Aryeh Broth, Ayala Harris, Tova Kwiat, Devorah Mehlman, Yehudah Mehlman, Yehudah Rudack, Esther Widitor.
Ad Blank forms for the Shul Annual Banquet were mailed this week. Please submit your ad and greeting as soon possible before packing and cleaning for Pesach. Remember the Banquet and the Journal are major fundraisers for the Shul. Invitations will be mailed shortly.
* Aviva & David Mordehai on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Eyal. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Aliza Kelly & Shaul Mordehai, and to his siblings Eveline, Daniella, Daniel-Kay and Avigail and the extended family.
* Rebbetzin Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Emil & Sarah Braun and Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum. The Shalom Zachar will begin at 9 PM at the Rosenbaum home, 11403 Cloverhill Drive. The Bris will take place Sunday morning following the 8:45 Shacharis Minyan.
* Rachel & Shevach Sushner on the birth of a daughter, Galya. Mazal Tov to the big brothers, Ezra and Yonah, and grandparents Jan & Don Moses and Leo Sushner.
* Phyllis & George Teitelbaum and family on the Bar and Bat Mitzvah of their grandson, Yonaton Teitelbaum, and granddaughter, Miri Teitelbaum, son and daughter of Rachel & Gil Teitelbaum of Beit Shemesh, Israel. Mazal Tov to proud uncle Avi.
* Miriam & Jeff Zuckerman on the birth of a granddaughter, Leah Nechama, to their children Tzivi & Yitzie Zuckerman of Baltimore.
* Max Rogel on the passing of his mother, Rochelle Rogel. The funeral and Shiva took place in New York.
YISE Programs and Listings
The congregation is invited to a Shalosh Seudos and Siyum of Maseches Shabbos this Shabbos, March 9, sponsored by Janet Rottenberg, Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky, Simi & Sammy Franco, and Jerry Rottenberg, in commemoration of the upcoming 2nd Yahrzeit of Melvin Rottenberg, Menachem Mendel ben Tzvi Yehuda Z"L.
Pesach Seder Preparations – Join Rabbi Rosenbaum as he reviews Halachos and Insights of the Seder as part of the "Together for 5" Audio Shiur Program, March 4 – 22. More information can be found on the new Shiurim link on yise.org. Nearly 200 subscribers and still growing.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur will be held on Monday, March 11, 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. This program is sponsored in memory of Dr. Manfred Leiser, Z"L, by Roberta M. Leiser and family.
Pre-Pesach Boutique, Monday, March 11 in the Arcola Social Hall, 7:00 PM -10:00 PM. Featuring: A Thing of Beauty: Handcrafted Jewelry and Gifts, Heads Up Headwear, Arbonne Botanically-Based Makeup and more! Questions? Contact Rachel Rabinowitz at email@example.com.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times: Mon., March 11 – Following Pre-Pesach Shiur; Tues., March 12 – Arcola after 6:55 Shacharis; Wed., March 13 – Noon, Arcola Beis Medrash; Thurs., March 14 – Arcola after Mincha/Maariv; Fri., March 15 – Arcola after 6:55 Shacharis. Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum to make arrangements to sell your chometz.
Maos Chitim – Those interested in contributing to help those with financial difficulties cover the expenses of Pesach, are welcome to give their contributions to Rabbi Rosenbaum at one of the Mechiras Chometz times. The primary recipients of the funds will be those in the community.
YISE is selling Shatzer Shmurah Matzah – $21.99/lb. regular or whole wheat. Visit www.yise.org/matzah or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Ordering deadline is Thursday, March 14, 8:00 PM.
Pesach HaShomer – Deadline for thank-you announcements is noon on Monday, March 11. Send to email@example.com.
The Third Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer Z"L will be held at a Seudat Shlishit on Shabbos, April 13, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Nominations Sought – The YISE Nominating Committee will be considering candidates for board positions in the coming weeks. To submit the name of someone who is willing to participate actively on the board, please contact Stuart Rosenthal at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-980-9557 before Pesach.
Be a part of the global Good Deeds Day – Clean the parks – Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park and Sligo Creek Park on Sunday, March 10 anytime from 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM. Sponsored by the YISE and KMS Chesed Committees, and MJBHA. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com. Meet at the KM Shopping Center Park by the steps to get gloves, trash bags, and a tee shirt. Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer.
Special Pesach Shiur for Men and Women by Rabbi Eli Reingold – "The Four Sons' Message to YOU and Your Children: Interpreting the Haggadah's Message Through the Four Sons" – Tuesday, March 12, 8:00 PM at YISE. Presented by the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah of YISE and the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington.
Food Drive Meets Great Need – The 10th Pesach Chometz Riddance Food drive, which runs from February 24 to March 21, collects donations for the Capital Area Food Bank. Please bring your donations to a bin outside the Arcola Social Hall or at University Boulevard.
The Annual Yom Hashoah Program at YISE – Monday, April 8, 7:30 PM. This year's featured speaker, Susan Taube, was born in pre-WWII Germany. Following Kristallnacht, Susan, her mother and her sister were subjected to harsh forced labor, first in Germany and then in Latvia. Only Susan survived. After liberation by the Soviets in 1945, she married Herman Taube with whom she emigrated and raised a family in Baltimore. Children grade 5 and older are encouraged to attend. Please join us for this important commemoration.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Job Assist Events:
* Use Social Media in Your Job Search – Maximize social networking to transform your job search. Featuring Ronnie Baras. Tuesday, March 12, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* LinkedIn I – Beginners. Wed., March 13, 1:00 PM-2:30PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Prerequisites and register at www.jssa.org.
* Photoshop (Intermediate) Training Online – Starts Tue, Mar 12. Info/register at www.oujobs.org.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Ms. Bracha Rutner, the Yoetzet Halacha at the Riverdale Jewish Center and the Young Israel of North Riverdale, is the scholar in residence at KMS on Shabbos HaChodesh, March 9. She will speak Shabbos morning on Modern Psychology and Taharat Hamishpacaha. An hour before Mincha she will speak on Infertility and the Orthodox Couple: a Halachic and Philosophical perspective. After Mincha she will speak on the Impact of Taharat Hamishpacha on marriage. The program is co-sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society and KMS.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington invites you to its Pre-Pesach Boutique featuring Hats, Shells, Jewelry, Serving Pieces, Kosher for Passover Baked Goods, spectacular raffle prizes and more. Sunday March 10, 11:00 AM -3:00 PM at the Muzin home 12201 Kemp Mill Road.
"Transmitting the Foundations of Emunah to our Children and Grandchildren – The Zaidy's Crucial Role in the Process" – Rabbi Moshe Walter. Thursday, March 14, 9:00 AM. Shacharis at 8:00 AM followed by lecture. Woodside Synagogue, 9001 Georgia Ave. For more info. contact The Golden Network (301) 338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Tehillim for Shidduchim Group – will be said AT HOME for the next four Sundays due to Pesach (or rather Pesach cleaning!). Tehillim books are being given out for people to say for this Sunday, March 10 and Sunday, March 17 before noon. To get your Perekim assigned to say at home, please call Tami Isaacs at 301-754-3666.
Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet. Two local foundations welcome your donations for Pesach. (1) The Franco Foundation, Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com. (2) Yehuda Mond Foundation, online, at yehudamondfoundation.org; by mailing a check to 812 Hyde Court, or by calling 443-539-1465. Please mark your checks for, "Maos Chittim."
YGW 8th Grade Girls are having a raffle to raise money for their graduation trip. Prize is a meal for 8-10 from Max's, including grape juice, Challah, soup, salad, 2 side dishes, chicken & dessert. Tickets are 1/$3, 2/$5, 5/$12 or 10/$20. If interested please contact Temmi Lattin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-3757.
Wanted: Paid Shomrim to serve in local funeral homes. Please call Howard Katz 301-933-3033.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 10 Monday, March 11 Tuesday, March 12 – Rosh Chodesh Wednesday, March 13 Thursday, March 14 Friday, March 15
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:10 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:05 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 See Shabbos schedule
University 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:35 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:17 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
March 15-16, 2013 – 5 Nissan 5773
Light Candles by 6:57 – Havdalah 7:56
* Light Candles by 6:57
* Mincha 6:55 (Sephardi), 7:00 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 6:40 (Sephardi), 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:56
Shabbos, March 9 Bar Mitzvah of Eyal Mordehai
Motzei Shabbos, March 9 Change your clocks – "Spring Forward"
Monday, March 11 Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Shiur, 8:00 PM
Shabbos, March 16 Bar Mitzvah of Moshe Dovid Mehlman
Tuesday, March 19 Elzee's, 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Arcola
Wednesday, March 20 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola
Shabbos, March 22 & 23 YISE Pre-Pesach Shabbos Meals
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 13, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director