Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 9 – 10, 2018 – 23 Adar 5778 – Parshas Vayakhel-Pekudei, Parshas Parah
Light Candles by 5:51 – Havdalah 6:50
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of Marvin Konick's 95th birthday by his family.
* Rosanne & Howard Benn on the marriage of their granddaughter Esther Lipman, daughter of Miriam (Michelle) & Rabbi Dovid Lipman of Beitar Illit, to Avraham Gad (Gadi) Held, son of Hentchy & Shimshon Held of Har Nof, Jerusalem, in Jerusalem.
* Faith & Gil Ginsburg on the engagement of their granddaughter, Sarah Miriam Ginsburg, daughter of Shulamit & Rabbi David Ginsburg of Columbus, Ohio, to Zach Weixelbaum, son of Karen Berger & Elia Weixelbaum of West Orange, New Jersey. Mazal Tov also to aunt Sahra & uncle Yale, and uncle Raph.
* Aliza & Rabbi Yitzchak Scher on the Bas Mitzvah of their daughter Sara. Mazal Tov to grandparents Chana & Rabbi Benzion Berliant of Woodside and Roberta & Allan Scher of Atlanta.
* Tova & Mattisyahu Welik on the birth of a baby boy. The Shalom Zachor will take place Friday night at 11310 Monticello Ave. beginning at 8:45 PM.
* Sheridan Sassoon on the passing of her stepfather, Shimon Bar Shay. The funeral took place in Israel. Sheridan is in Israel until March 19th and can be reached by email at SheridanSassoon@gmail.com.
* Rita Umlas and Cheryl Broth on the passing of their mother and grandmother, Sarah Umlas. The funeral took place on Monday. Shiva is being observed at 11415 Monticello Ave., through Sunday morning. Shacharis on Sunday at 7:30 AM.
* Light Candles by 5:51
Ashkenazi: 5:55, Ruach Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:45 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:50
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Chaim Neustadter in commemoration of the yahrtzeit of his father, Israel Neustadter, Yisroel Reuven ben Alexander Sender, Z"L.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Meriel & Aviad Madar in honor of their new baby girl; Asher, Gillian & Mimi Weinberg and friends of Israel Barda in appreciation of his help to the community; and Hector Mariscal in honor of Cassie's promotion.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – in commemoration of the first yahrtzeit of Sandy's father, Charles Karlin, Bezalel Reuven ben Rephael Shlomo, and in honor of the 60th wedding anniversary of Melanie's parents, Dolores and Len Schwartz, by Melanie & Sandy Karlin; and in honor of Marvin Konick's 95th birthday by his family.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – note new location.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash will resume April 10. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume April 11.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Friday night in the Large Social Hall at 5:55 sharp, with a special children's story program during part of the davening in the Small Social Hall. So bring the entire family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
Sushi and Speed Dating – Join YISE for sushi making with Shushy Turin, followed by speed dating. For singles aged 22-35. Sunday March 11, 2018, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM. RSVP deadline has passed. Contact email@example.com for more info.
Pre-Pesach Shiur – Rabbi Eli Reingold will speak on "The Purim, Pesach & Shavuos Triangle: Lessons for the Seder from Purim" Tuesday, March 13, 8:00 PM in the Social Hall. Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah community Shiur for men and women. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910
Nominations Sought – The YISE Nominating Committee has been appointed, and is soliciting nominations and self-nominations for Board of Director vacancies. Please email names of those who have indicated a willingness to serve if elected to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15.
Shmurah Matzah – Regular or Whole Wheat $24/lb., Spelt or Oat $27/lb. Order deadline March 16, 12 noon. Pickup at YISE, Monday March 19 & Tuesday March 20, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Order online at www.yise.org/matzah or contact the YISE office.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur – Tuesday, March 20, 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Cleaning Supplies Drive – Do an easy Mitzvah before Pesach and donate cleaning supplies to A Wider Circle. Just drop off any UNOPENED cleaning supplies at: 903 Holborn St. (box on porch), YISE, KMS, Berman (boxes in lobby), or Shalom Kosher (box located across from registers). Items urgently needed: laundry and dish detergent, all soaps, paper towels, sponges, and any cleansers such as Windex, 409, Endust, Mr. Clean, etc. Cosponsored by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy PTO, and Shalom Kosher. Drive will take place through March 19. For questions please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! Our 7-week program begins Monday, June 25th and ends Friday, August 10th. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan
Location: youth room behind the Balcony
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM
Girls meet in the main lobby/Boys meet outside the Social Hall
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Eigth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will take place on Shabbos Tazria-Metzora, April 21. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or call Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
YISE Facility Updates
Painting and other renovation work is being done in the Belonofsky Sanctuary and lobby this week. Details including Minayn moves will be sent via email and posted at Shul.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to David Diamond on the passing of his mother, Jeanette Diamond. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, March 10, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 3:00 PM.
The Human Immune System and Cancer Therapy – Ma rabu ma'asecha¡K Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations – Community science lecture series. Dr. Yehudah Strauss, NIH, with Torah insights by Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, March 11, 12:30 PM at YGW Boys Campus, followed by Mincha. For more information contact Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext. 1553.
Nefesh B'Nefesh ¡V Presentations and practical advice to create your personal Aliyah plan. Monday, March 12, at the Doubletree Pikesville and Wednesday, March 14, at the Jewish Federation in Rockville. For more information and to register, visit www.nbn.org.il/maryland
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 14, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Pre-Pesach Boutique ¡V Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Pre-Pesach Boutique at YISE, Sunday, March 18, 10:00 AM ¡V 4:00 PM. Hats, jewelry, serving accessories, clothing, hair accessories, makeup, sheitels, pottery and more. Raffle and light refreshments. For more info. contact Rhonda Lehman at 301-351-1725 or email@example.com
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive -MJBHA will be sponsoring the annual hair donation drive on Thursday, May 3, Lag Ba'omer, at Style Salon and again the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, May 22, at Progressions Salon. All cuts are free and each donor receives a special gift from the coordinator and a certificate from Zichron Menachem. To sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "hair" in the Subject line. Nancy Mehlman will contact you to set up an appointment on your preferred day and time.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* The Franco Foundation continues to assist those in need. Donations will be distributed before and during Pesach. Send your tax-deductible donation c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at email@example.com
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington which assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, click on the Maos Chitim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
Passover Car Cleaning to benefit MES – Shine My Ride by Empire – shinemyride.com is offering special pricing on car detailing from March 11 – 23, with a portion of the proceeds to benefit the Mikvah Emunah Society. Interior Spruce: $35 – $55; Deluxe Interior Detail $100 – $155; child car seat $20 each. Service at 5006 Howard Ave. Beltsville, MD or mobile service (2 car minimum for Interior Spruce) available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 240-965-6095 to make an appointment. For more info. contact Rhonda Lehman email@example.com or call 301-351-1725.
The Week Ahead
Sunday March 11 Monday March 12 Tuesday March 13 Wednesday March 14 Thursday March 15 Friday March 16
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10 6:10 6:10 6:10 6:10
Ashkenazi 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:34 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:16 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
March 16 – 17, 2018 – 1 Nissan 5778
Parshas Vayikra, Rosh Chodesh, Parshas HaChodesh
Light Candles by 6:58 – Havdalah 7:57
* Light Candles by 6:58
Ashkenazi: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:57
Friday, March 9 Ruach Minyan, 5:55 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, March 10 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:45 PM
Sunday, March 11 Sushi and Speed Dating, 6:00 PM
Monday, March 12 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Monday, March 19 Basic Colors, 12:30 PM – 6:30 PM
Tuesday, March 20 Pre-Pesach Shiur, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 14 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager