Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 1 – 2, 2019 – 25 Adar I 5779 – Parshas Vayakhel/Shekalim/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:42 – Havdalah 6:42
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0550 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Yehudit & Rabbi Yehoshua Levy on the engagement of Rabbi Levy's daughter, Miriam Mazal Levy, to Alex Domberg of Albany, NY.
* Enoch Resnick on the passing of his brother, Ted Resnick. The funeral took place in Israel on Friday. Shiva is being observed in Israel until Thursday morning.
* Light Candles by 5:42
Ashkenazi: 5:45 Ruach: 5:45 (Social Hall) Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:40 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
* Shabbos Ends: 6:42
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Judy and Louis Morris on the occasion of the 20th Yahrtzeit of Louis's father, Reuven ben Aryeh Leb, Z"L (Robert Morris).
* Sephardi Minyan – Asher Weinberg, with joy to Eddie & Bernice Cohen on the recent marriage of their daughter, and in honor of Moshe Nissan and Avi Perez
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Sarah & Aaron Yevick and Rosalyn & Shmuel Shafner in honor of Aaron earning his doctorate in physics from NYU and in honor of Aaron and Sarah on their birthdays this week.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall, will resume on March 17.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Join us this week for a Ruach Minyan in the Large Social Hall at 5:45 PM sharp. While there is no special children's story program, all Daveners are welcome to join and bring in Shabbos with us. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dor L'Dor – The final Dor L'Dor of the season will take place on Motzei Shabbos, March 2, at 7:50 PM in the YISE Social Hall! This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Aliza and Gil Chlewicki in memory of Aliza's father, Robert Sacknovitz (Reuvain ben Shaul Zissel), on his upcoming fifth Yahrzeit. For more information, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 3, 12 noon, at YISE. This is a full certification class administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification & special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught. The (subsidized) cost for the class will be $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated class time is three hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). If interested, please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, March 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, March 6, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Purim celebration with the Shomrai Emunah pre-schoolers! Special "guest appearance" by Rabbi and Rebbetzin Greengart.
Scholars-in-Residence – The YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Avraham & Rebbetzin Dr. Adina Shmidman, March 8 – 9. See flyer for details and complete schedule.
Generation to Generation – Greater Washington Community Kollel presents a morning of learning and growth exploring the multifaceted relationship of parents and children. Sunday, March 10, 9:30 AM – 1:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Breath Brake Seminar – Learn How to Live Longer & Better – with Rabbi Elimelech Goldberg, Wednesday, March 13, 8:30 PM at Ohr HaTorah. Free and open to the community. RSVP is recommended as space is limited. To RSVP call 202-331-4481 or email email@example.com Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and YISE. Co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr HaTorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Dispelling Myths Regarding Autism – Sunday, March 24, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Small Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum: "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living", Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall. Open to the entire community. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Global Good Deeds Day Park Cleanup – Sunday, April 7, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM at the Kemp Mill Park/Sligo Creek Park – cosponsored by Ben Yehuda Pizza, Berman, Chabad of Silver Spring, KMS, NCSY, and YISE.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Save the Date:
YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, May 12th, 2019
Honoring: Susan and Abe Zwany
Young Leadership Award: Elise and Ken Saks
Youth Award: Dovy Brodkin
HaKarat HaTov Award to Yvette Epstein
Special Tribute to: Officer Eli Dunham and Officer Justin Haire
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Purim Carnival – Sunday, March 17, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon at KMS. See flyer for details.
Purim Particulars ¡V YISE and Beyond
Purim Seudah – Thursday, March 21, 5:00 PM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details. RSVP online at www.yise.org/purim
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – To purchase cards, contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or 30l-593- 1468. $3 each 10 for $25.
18th Annual Purim Yahrzeit shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Thursday, March 21, at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room at 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers.) The shiur ends by 11:00.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L¡¦Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – Helping our Community from within our Community. Donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
YGW Boys Mishloach Manos – Buy your Mishloach Manos this year from the YGW Boys Class of 2020! Proceeds benefit the senior class trip to Israel in January, 2020. Packages are a quick & easy way to show appreciation to friends, family, and teachers. Each box will include a bottle of grape juice, Hamentaschen, a snack, and candy. Deliveries will be made locally to recipients in Silver Spring, Potomac, Rockville & Olney. Order by email to email@example.com 1 for $10, 5 for $40, 10 for $75, 25 for $170. Deadline March 15.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, March 2, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM
Bnei Akiva Snif – This Shabbos, March 2, 4:15 PM – 5:30 PM. 2nd – 5th graders at KMS.Walking groups leave YISE at 4:00 PM.
Mike Stern: True Tales from One of Our Own – Join AMIT and Mike Stern, former Supervisory Special Agent with the FBI, as he talks about his experiences both at home and while in service in Israel. Motzai Shabbos, March 2, 7:30 PM. $18 per person, sponsorship opportunities available. Call 410-484-2223 or visit www.amitchildren.org/midatlantic to register for this exciting event. Refreshments will be served.
Keshet Couture Silver Spring Pop Up – Modest women's clothing and accessories. Shop Motzei Shabbos, March 2nd, 7:30 PM – 10:00 PM at the Schreiber Home, 1216 North Belgrade Road. A portion of every sale will go to benefit Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Entire winter collection is 70% off. For more information, contact Dina at 301-326-7814. If you can't make the sale go to KeshetCouture.com
Tzniut is Cute Fashion Show – Please join the Berman Class of 2019 on Sunday, March 3 at 10:00 AM at KMS for the third annual Tzniut is Cute student-run fashion show that empowers women to be confident in themselves while dressing modestly. Following the fashion show, the attendees are invited to purchase the clothing that was seen on the models. This year's Tzniut is Cute is hoping to attract not only teenagers and their mothers but also young girls as well. Purchase tickets early at http://bit.ly/tzniutiscute for a reduced price of $8 per student and $10 per adult! Tickets are $12 at the door. We hope to see you there!
Chinuch: the Home-School Partnership – a three-part series with Rav Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW. Part 2, Tuesday March 5, 8:00 PM, "What Do We Study in Yeshiva? Why So Much Gemara? Why is it so Difficult?" YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Ave. To RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Amram Hes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-649-7077 x1528.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. On March 5, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Pepper.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 6, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday March 3 Monday March 4 Tuesday March 5 Wednesday March 6 Thursday March 7 Rosh Chodesh Friday March 8 Rosh Chodesh
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:50 5:50 / 7:30 5:50 / 7:30 5:50 / 7:30 5:50 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:45 5:45 5:45 5:45 5:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:46 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
March 8 – 9, 2019 – 2 Adar II 5779
Light Candles by 5:49 – Havdalah 6:49
* Light Candles by 5:49
Ashkenazi: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:45 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:49
Friday, March 1 Ruach Minyan, 5:45 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, March 2 Dor L'Dor, 7:50 PM, Social Hall
Monday, March 4 The Man With The Truck, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Wednesday, March 6 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Shabbos, March 8 & 9 Scholar-In-Residence – Rabbi Avraham & Rebbetzin Dr. Adina Shmidman
Sunday, March 10 Generation to Generation, 9:30 AM
Wednesday, March 13 Breath Brake Seminar, 8:30 PM at Ohr HaTorah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 6 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager