Parashas Vaeschanan/Shabbos Nachamu – July 31 – August 1, 2015
Download the July 31 – August 1, 2015 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 31- August 1, 2015 – 16 Av 5775 – Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 8:02 (and not before 6:52) – Havdalah 9:05
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dova, Jack, and Michal Boyars in honor of their parents and Shabbos Nachamu.
* Light Candles by 8:02, and not before 6:52
Arcola: 6:35, 7:05, 8:05 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:05
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Avi Peretz
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Rabbi Sam's Bar Mitzvah and the Zeltser family in commemoration of Mel Zeltser's third Yahrzeit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:30 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Adina & Fred Friedman and family on the birth of a son to their children Laia & Raffi Abberbock of Baltimore.
* Liz & David Kruger on the engagement of their daughter Naomi to Jonathan Rosenblatt of Chicago. Mazal tov to sisters Zahava Altshul and family from Modiin, and Shoshi Kruger.
* Miriam & Jeffrey Zuckerman on the birth of a granddaughter, Esther Chana, to their children Léa & Rabbi Yakir Schechter, of Merion Station, PA. Mazal Tov to the big sisters Penina, Batya and Malky.
* Eli Elbaz on the passing of his mother, Suzan Elbaz. The funeral took place in Israel on Sunday. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
YISE Programs and Listings
Lost and Found – Unclaimed clothing and other items have been collected in the downstairs coat room. They will be removed on Monday, August 3.
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum is on vacation through Sunday, August 9. People with Halachic questions should feel free to call Rabbi Silver at 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum about a pressing matter should contact a member of the office staff, who will alert Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Tisha B'Av Video Sponsors – The Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation videos this past Sunday were sponsored by Dr. Paul Goodnick in memory of his parents, Benjamin & Regina Goodnick A"H and by an anonymous donor in memory of Shaul Chaim Ben Dovid.
High Holiday Planning:
* Seat forms and information were mailed to all members. The seating forms and information are also available on the Shul web site. The form can be completed on-line. It can then be mailed or dropped off with payment at the Shul or via e-mail, or call the Shul bookkeeper with credit card numbers.
* RH and YK Babysitting for childen ages 2-9 years old for $10 per child. Please see the flyer in the social hall lobby or contact email@example.com for more information.
Take Me Out to the Ballgame – Join the YISE Social Committee to see the Washington Nationals take on the Colorado Rockies, Sunday, August 9. Game time: 1:35 PM. Limited tickets available: $10/each. To RSVP and purchase tickets contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Shomrai 2015 Community Carnival – Bring your family and friends. Join us for an evening of watery fun, food and entertainment. Monday, August 10 (NOTE NEW DATE), 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM. 813 University Blvd W. $5 per child under 10. For sale: hot dogs, chips and drinks. Moonbounce, dunk tank, giant water slide (bring your bathing suit!), cotton candy, popsicles, bubble activities, carnival games and prizes. Cover charge includes all activities except hot dogs, chips and drinks. Open to the whole community!
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Rosh Chodesh Elul Shabbaton: "L'shana Shel Kavanah" – Shabbos, August 14 and 15. Inspirational Davening and Drashot; spiritual Shalosh Seudos (by reservation; $8/person); community Kumsitz / Melava Malkah (free and open to all). Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. To sponsor or volunteer, contact email@example.com or 301-980-9557. To RSVP for Shalosh Seudos, send check payable to YISE to shul office.
Help Make a Minyan – For the past 2 years you have been successfully helping University Blvd. Shul make a Minyan over Shabbos. However we need to refresh our rotation list with additional volunteers. As a volunteer you will be asked to attend Friday night and/or Shabbos services at University Blvd. only 4 times a year, if we anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of this Mitzvah of helping to preserve a Minyan.
YISE Dedication Opportunities – Please take a moment to check out the YISE website www.yise.org to see exciting new naming opportunities available. Leaves, bricks, business card ads, and dedications are just some of the newly added content. Keep checking back as much more is planned in the very near future to enhance your experience at YISE.
Does the Keilim Mikvah being built by the Shul make you more curious about its Halachos? You can hear a series of 5 minute Shiurim from Rabbi Rosenbaum at audio.yise.org Rabbi Rosenbaum hopes to have Shiurim relating to the building of a Keilim Mikvah and Halachos of its use available over the coming weeks.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Haimish Kiddush Group is looking for new members for Fiscal Year 2016. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on August 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on August 11.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on August 11.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yonah – will resume on August 12.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on August 12.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – Program is on break and will resume on August 16.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow – Program is on summer break and will resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – Shiur is on summer break and will resume in August.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM in the smallSocial Hall – will resume on August 20.
Dedicate a Brick, and Help Build a Keilim Mikvah
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Cheryl Stern Community Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible.
For more details visit: http://wp.yise.org/dedicate-a-brick/
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week. The Minyan will resume on Shabbos Parshas Shoftim, August 22.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Second Annual Parsha and Popsicles in the Park – Shabbos, August 15 at 5:00 PM. For more information, contact email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552 – will resume on August 26.
The Woodside Ballard Street Outdoor Keilim Mikvah, at 8901 Georgia Avenue (corner Ballard), under the Mikvah Emunah Society, is now operational.
Machzor Review – Get inspired for the Yomin Noraim! Study parts of the Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur Tefilah with this informal learning group. Three Monday nights, August 3 – 17, 8:30 – 9:30 PM, at the home of Stuart & Judy Rosenthal, 1220 Arcola Avenue. Bring your favorite Machzor, preferably with commentary. For info, firstname.lastname@example.org
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW – Tiferes Gedaliah – Through August 13, 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM, Daily – Davening, learning, and activities. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch, we will provide milk and paper goods. Located at the YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $25 per week per student. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1522
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 5, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday evenings, 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Federal Jobs – Free Webinars – (1) 10 Steps to a Federal Job. Monday, August 3, 12:00 noon – 1:00 PM. (2) Students/Recent Grads – How to Write a Successful Pathways Internship Resume. Friday, August 7, 12:00 noon – 12:30 PM. For both webinars, info and register at www.resume-place.com
* LinkedIn – Free Webinars – (1) Wednesday, August 12, 6:30 PM or (2) Thursday, August 13, 6:30 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 2 Monday, August 3 Tuesday, August 4 Wednesday, August 5 Thursday, August 6 Friday, August 7
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:17 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:41 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:50 PM
August 7-8, 2015 – 23 Av 5775
Parshas Eikev – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:55 – Havdalah 8:56
* Light Candles by 7:55, and not before 6:46
Arcola: 6:30, 6:55, 7:55 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 University: 7:50 Sephardi: 7:30 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:56
Wednesday, August 5 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall Speaker: Dr. Robert Oshel "Silver Spring and the Civil War"
Shabbos, August 8 Aufruf of Reuvain Silverman, 7:00
Sunday, August 9 Take Me Out to the Ballgame
Monday, August 10 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Monday, August 10 Camp Shomrai 2015 Community Carnival
Shabbos, August 14-15 Rosh Chodesh Elul Shabbaton: "L'shana Shel Kavanah."
Shabbos, August 15 Parsha and Popsicles in the Park
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 5 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director