Parashas Vaeschanan/Shabbos Nachamu – August 4-5, 2017
Download the August 4-5, 2017 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 4-5, 2017 – 13 Av 5777 – Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 7:58 (and not before 6:49) – Havdalah 8:59
The Shabbos Shorts is co-sponsored this week by an anonymous donor in honor of Bev Morris, Art Boyars, and Shabbos Nachamu and by Art Boyars in honor of his wife, Bev Morris.
* Aliza & Gil Chlewicki on the birth of a daughter, Meira Riva. Mazal Tov to the big brother Simcha and big sister Bina.
* Light Candles by 7:58, and not before 6:49
Arcola: 6:35, 7:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will Daven in the Small Social Hall.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:59
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume August 20.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – will resume on Sunday, August 27.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur – will resume on Tuesday, August 22.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Shiur – will resume on Wednesday, August 23.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur – will resume on Sunday, August 27.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai).
* Men – will resume on Monday, August 28.
* Women – will resume in the fall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, August 7, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Thursday, August 10 through Wednesday, August 16. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
High Holiday Preparations:
* Seating – High Holiday seat requests should be sent in ASAP. The committee will begin assigning seats next week. Please use the forms that were sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information. We appreciate your cooperation in submitting your request as soon as possible.
* HaShomer – Deadline for articles and ads is Monday, August 7. Articles should be short (500 words or less) and of general interest to our membership. Articles are subject to approval and editing. Articles as well as New Year's greetings and other ads may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the YISE office.
* Babysitting – YISE Youth is pleased to offer babysitting for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur for children ages 2-5 from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM for $10 per day. Please fill out the form and submit payment for your spot. Only 20 spots available each day. For more info, contact email@example.com
* Yizkor Guide – Work is now underway for the YISE 5778 Yizkor Guide. The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is Rosh Chodesh Elul, which is August 23. To sign up online, go to yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Three Year Old Preschool Lead Teacher – Shomrai Nursery is looking to hire a preschool Lead Teacher for the three year old class for the 2017-2018 school year. We are looking for a teacher who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires knowledge of best teaching practices in a constructivist approach, ability to write daily communications as well as weekly reflections, and a passion for being a co-learner who wants to awaken their students curiosity and wonder. Please send resumes to Ruthie Cohen at email@example.com
Our Relationship with Food: Breaking Up is Hard To Do – Learn how to change to a healthy way of eating; gain insights from medical research regarding nutrition and diet; hear Torah insights on the challenge of overeating, and answers to frequently asked halachic questions on Shabbos eating and dieting. Speakers: Rabbi Rosenbaum, Yale Ginsburg, Lisa Landy, and Dr. Theo Heller. Sponsors: Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, August 20, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon. YISE, Small Social Hall.
Capitol Kosher Pantry – A CKP collection box is in our lower lobby. Donations are accepted at any time. Please consider those in our community who depend on the CKP. Non-perishable food in sealed non-breakable containers within the "use by" date are requested. Items such as juice, cereal, proteins, mac and cheese, baking goods (in bags please), and diapers are very much appreciated. For more information, please visit www.yadyehuda.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups for 2-5 year-olds in the youth room behind the balcony. THERE ARE NO GROUPS THIS WEEK FOR 1ST-4TH GRADERS. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha at YISE. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, August 5 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 5:00 PM.
Kol Ha'Nearim (formerly known as Avos U'Banim) – Shabbos afternoons, 5:15 PM – 6:00 PM, at Ohr Hatorah. Open to the entire community. Food and treats provided. Questions: Jared Hershenson at email@example.com
An Evening with Comedian Elon Gold – Join us at Kesher Israel this Sunday, August 6, at 7:30 PM. Seats are available starting at just $15, or join Elon before the show for a kosher Sushi and Wine VIP reception for $75 (includes a premium ticket). To purchase tickets, visit kesher.org/elongold
Free Workshops on Federal Jobs – Monday, August 7: Overview of the Federal Hiring Process; Monday, August 14: Details of Applying for Federal Jobs. Both in YISE Small Social Hall, 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM. To reserve a seat, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
LINKS – Share your passion, background, and knowledge to help connect others to our rich heritage through Torah study! In partnership with the Bender JCC, LINKS is a weekly learning project to bring Jewish men and women of different backgrounds together in a one-on-one format whereby a mentor can share his or her Jewish knowledge with a seeking participant. At the Bender JCC on Wednesday evenings 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. To volunteer to be a mentor or for more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps at 347-869-9361 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 9, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – For rising 6th-11th graders. Through Tuesday, August 15, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/ Breakfast; 9:30 AM Learning; 11:30 AM Lunch; 12:00 Noon Activity; 1:00 PM Swimming; 2:30 PM Pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch. We will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $75 per week per student, $125 for full program. Trips cost extra. To register or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
Ko-ach Sports Presents a Summer Track Meet! Join us for a new Jewish Community event! Sunday, August 27, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM, Montgomery Blair H.S. Track. Have your kids get the feel of a real track meet by running, jumping and racing their friends! Prepare for speed in the sprinter starting blocks and make the baton hand off in the relay race! Girls K-4th Grade and Boys K- 8th Grade. Race your friends! Top finishers in each race receive a ribbon. Register online at www.Ko-achSports.com or contact Josh Hollander at Info@Ko-achSports.com
BCGW MitzvahCycle 2017 – Sunday, September 10. Raise money for BCGW and help us save lives one pedal at a time! Registration required and sponsorships are available. Information can be found at www.bikurcholimgw.org
OU Survey – The OU is conducting a national survey of the Orthodox community. If you are interested in participating please visit http://bit.ly/Orthodox-Survey and complete the survey by August 31.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 6 Monday, August 7 Tuesday, August 8 Wednesday, August 9 Thursday, August 10 Friday, August 11
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:22 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:43 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
August 11-12, 2017 – 20 Av 5777
Light Candles by 7:49 – Havdalah 8:50
* Light Candles by 7:49, and not before 6:42
Arcola: 6:50, 7:50 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:50
Friday, August 18 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, August 20 Our Relationship with Food: Breaking Up is
Hard To Do, 10:30 AM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, September 4 YISE End of Summer BBQ, 4:00PM – 7:00PM
Sunday November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 9 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager