Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 19-20, 2016 – 16 Av 5776 – Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 7:38 (and not before 6:32) – Havdalah 8:38
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Fay Kasser to commemorate the Yahrzeit of her father, Avraham Ben Yitzchok Zvi HaCohen, Abram Mincer.
• Shirlee & Steven Franco on the upcoming marriage of their son, Nathan, to Batya Sadek of Teaneck, daughter of Etty Cymet and David Sadek. Mabrouk to grandparents, Dottie & Nathan Franco, siblings Luna & Yaakov, Paulette and Darielle, nieces Eliana and Shirlee, and the entire extended family.
* Marion & Bernie Muller on the birth of a grandson, Malachi Yosef, born to their children Aviva & Jonathan Zahtz of Bet Shemesh, Israel. Mazal Tov to the extended Muller and Zahtz families.
* Avi Rothschild, son of Chavi & Mordechai Rothschild, on his Aufruf and forthcoming marriage to Tobi Glazer, daughter of Shelley & Richard Glazer.
* Rivka & Yaakov Silverman on the birth of a grandson to their children Sara Mindel & Reuvain Silverman.
* Light Candles by 7:38, and not before 6:32
Arcola: 6:15, 6:40, 7:40 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Small Social Hall.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 University: 7:35 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:38
* 8:00, Sephardi and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Avichai Pepper
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "Friends of Professor Gil Ginsburg" in honor of his very special birthday!
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Shirlee & Steven Franco in honor of the upcoming marriage of their son, Nathan, to Batya Sadek; Avi Rothschild, in honor of his Aufruf and forthcoming marriage to Tobi Glazer; and by the Zeltser family to commemorate the 4th Yahrzeit of Mel Zeltser.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:05 PM,
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will resume in September.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall – program will resume September 6.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:20 PM at University – will resume September 7.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, 8:45 PM – 9:30 PM in the small Social Hall – program will resume in September.
YISE Programs and Listings
Mother's Day Shalosh Seudos – has been cancelled, due to a lack of volunteers and sponsors.
President's Vacation – Michael Shimoff is on vacation through Tuesday, August 30 and will have limited connectivity. During this time, questions can be addressed to Sammy Franco (Vice President 1) at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, September 12, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM) at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Annual Barbecue – Sunday, September 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM at YGW Boys Campus (In case of rain, event will be held at YISE.) Free door prize to the first 30 families! Hamburgers, hot dogs and more! Moonbounce for little kids and obstacle moon bounce for older kids. Face painting. Fun for all ages! Adults: $10, Children 2-8: $5, Family Maximum: $45. To RSVP, please go to: www.yise.org/bbq If you have questions, contact email@example.com
High Holiday Planning:
* High Holiday seat requests should be sent in ASAP. Use the form that was sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information.
* YISE Youth is pleased to offer babysitting for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur for children ages 2-5 from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM for $10 per day. Please fill out the form and submit payment for your spot. Only 20 spots available each day. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
High Holiday Edition of HaShomer:
* Call for Articles – You are invited to share your unique knowledge, expertise and talents by writing an article for the High Holday edition of HaShomer. Articles should be short (500 words or less) and of general interest to our membership. Articles are subject to approval and editing as is deemed appropriate. Submit articles to email@example.com by August 22.
* Ads are being accepted now for the High Holiday edition of HaShomer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the YISE office.
Yizkor Guide – YISE is publishing a new Yizkor Guide, which will contain the tefillos said at Yizkor in the order said in our Shul. Sponsorships are available at $180 per family for unlimited names, or $18 for each name. Details & forms available at www.yise.org/yizkor The deadline is September 3. If you have questions or suggestions, contact Marc Katz at email@example.com or Debbie Katz at dkatz@yise org
Greater Washington Community Kollel is excited to announce a new community learning venture, Monday through Thursday evenings at YISE. Join together with us for engaging learning opportunities for everyone. Stay tuned for more information soon.
SAVE THE DATE: Ruach Minyan – Friday, September 23, at 6:45 in the Arcola Social Hall. While there is no formal program for children, Daveners of all ages are welcome to bring in Shabbos with us. So bring the kids and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week, and will resume at the end of the summer.
RESUMING THIS WEEK: Parsha Shenanigans – Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Will not meet this week, but will resume next week.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – For rising 6th-11th graders. Through August 25, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/ breakfast, 9:30 AM learning, 11:30 AM lunch, 12:00 Noon activity, 1:00 PM swimming, 2:30 PM pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch, we will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $50 per week per student, $75 for full program – Trips cost extra. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 24, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Tips for a Successful Elul and Rosh Hashana – Shiur with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Tuesday, August 30 and Tuesday, September 6 at 1:30 PM – 2:15PM in the YISE Small Beis Medrash. We will resume at the JCC on September 13. Men and women are welcome.
Not A Minor Issue: A Child's Obligation to Halacha – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men. Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning. Sunday, September 18. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 11:50 AM Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:35 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. 12:45 PM program ends. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Hadassah Presents: The Power of Women Who Do! An educational program highlighting women role models of the past and present, from Biblical times to the present and into the future. Our featured speakers are Sharon Freundel, Lisa Davidson, Anat Alon-Beck, Liza Levy, and Ilene Rosenthal. Sunday, September 18, 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Register by calling the Hadassah office at 301-881-8203, or https://www.facebook.com/hadassahgw/
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Resumes – Confessions of a Former Recruiter. Free webinar, available on demand until August 26 . http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=74118333. Instructions: (1) Click the giant Play button. (2) You will see "The event has ended" as the first and only slide, but then the audio will begin playing.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 21 Monday, August 22 Tuesday, August 23 Wednesday, August 24 Thursday, August 25 Friday, August 26
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:38 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
August 26-27, 2016 – 23 Av 5776
Parshas Eikev – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:28 – Havdalah 8:27
* Light Candles by 7:28, and not before 6:24
Arcola: 6:30, 7:30 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 University: 7:25 Sephardi: 7:05 Nusach Sefard: 7:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:27
Monday, August 29 The Man with the Truck, YISE Social Hall, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Sunday, September 18 YISE Annual Barbecue, YGW Boys Campus, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Friday, September 23 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 6:45
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 24 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director