Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 27 – 28, 2018 – 16 Av 5778 – Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 8:06 – Havdalah 9:09
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of Bev Morris, Art Boyars, and Shabbos Nachamu.
* Rene & Rami Isser on the Aufruf of their son, Ariel. Mazal Tov to Ariel's siblings, David & Pola, Yonatan & Esther and Eitan.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a great-grandson. Parents are Miriam &Yaakov Yosef Feigenbaum.
* Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the birth of a granddaughter, Nechama, to their children, Batsheva & Motti Tolchinsky, of Passaic, NJ. Mazal Tov to Nechama's siblings, to grandparents, Rebbetzin Rivka (Winter) & Rabbi Akiva Rothenberg, to greatgrandparents, Janet Rottenberg and Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Light Candles by 8:06, and not before 6:55
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Shabbos Ends: 9:09
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Esther and Sanford Kantz in memory of Sanford's father, Moshe Kantz, Moshe ben Shalom Shachna v'Rachel.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Rene & Rami Isser in honor of Ariel's Aufruf.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman- Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume August 12.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony, will resume August 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org, will resume August 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume August 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony, will resume August 8.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume August 12.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall, will resume August 19.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899, will resume August 13.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM. For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume in late August.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Marisa Roy & David Ratner and Rosalyn & Shmuel Shafner.
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Sunday, July 29 through Sunday, August 5. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the Shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, August 6 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Living with Dementia – Sunday, August 19, 10:30 AM – 12:15 PM, YISE Social Hall. Learn the difference between ordinary memory decline and dementia. Understand changes that result from dementia, and legal and financial steps one should take. Hear from experts, caregivers and a senior in the early stage of dementia. Each of us can play a role in supporting community members affected by dementia. Attend this free presentation and panel discussion presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, Dementia Friendly America, and Young Israel Shomrai Emunah. Co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Hashomer – The Rosh Hashanah Hashomer will be published soon. To include your Rosh Hashanah greetings, place an ad or submit an article, email email@example.com or contact the YISE office as soon as possible.
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is August 12. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Katz at email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Friedman and Solomson families. 'Yasher koach' to Edan and Noach, two gabbaim who are so great, always working to make the Youth Minyan first rate!
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby.
Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Expanded YISE High Holiday Youth Programming
If you would be interested in an expanded youth program for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP with your contact information. We are trying to determine the degree of interest and availability of resources.
Shbbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity
The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018-2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email email@example.com
Member of YISE needs rides daily to Hebrew Home in Rockville. Please contact Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington at 202-331-4481 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to help.
Scholar in Residence – August 11
Rabbi Reuven Brand
The YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Reuven Brand, Rosh Kollel, YU Torah Mitzion Kollel of Chicago, Bobins Family Chair in Community Jewish Scholarship, who will be our Scholar-in-Residence on Shabbos Re'eh, August 11. The schedule includes:
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan – "Elul: Somber or Celebration?" *Kiddush Follows*
* One Hour Before Mincha – "A Vision of Chesed"
* Between Mincha and Maariv – "The Secret to Preparing for the Days of Awe: Community
Shomrai Preschool News
Tuition Subsidy Programs – Because Shomrai Preschool wants to help ensure that every Jewish child has access to quality early childhood Jewish education, we have added information on our website about tuition subsidy programs that families may be eligible for:
Still Time to Register – We still have a few spots in our 2-year-old, 3-year-old and Pre-K programs. Please see our website or email Suri Kinzbrunner at email@example.com for more information.
Lead Teacher – Shomrai Preschool is looking for a lead teacher for 2018-2019 who wants to be part of a collaborative team of professionals working together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing, and creative setting. We provide a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development, as well as children's development in language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content. Send resumes to Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, July 28, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:30 PM.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 1, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more information.
Shabbos Nachamu with Mrs. Shira Smiles – Open to all women if the community. Sponsored by Wendy Penn and family in memory of Miriam bas Ben Tzion. Please join us:
* 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM – Women's Shiur at Ohr HaTorah, 1009 Kersey Rd.
* 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM – Post-high school girls Shalosh Seudos at the home of Mrs. Nechama Zakem, 11722 Fulham St.
* 10:00 PM – Women's community-wide Melava Malka at Ohr HaTorah, sponsored by Ohr Hatorah and other generous sponsors.
My Journey of Faith – David Gregory, CNN analyst and former host of "Meet the Press," will deliver the 33rd annual Rabbi Morris D. and Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt, Z"L, memorial lecture on Sunday, July 29, at Congregation Kneseth Israel, 1125 Spa Road, Annapolis, MD 21403. Light breakfast at 10:15 AM, program at 11:00 AM. The event is free and open to the public.
Rebuilding the Bais Hamikdash by Building a Stronger Community – During this somber time of year, your support for the Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda is as important as ever. Please help to sustain our local brothers and sisters in need by donating non-perishable food in sealed, non-breakable containers, within the "Use By" date. Juices, tuna, boxed macaroni and cheese, nuts, oil, salt, granola bars, paper towels, toilet paper, toothpaste and soap are very much appreciated. Collection boxes are located in many community Shuls, in Moti's Market and in Shalom Kosher. Please call 301-842-7135 ext. 706 for further assistance.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday July 29 Monday July 30 Tuesday July 31 Wednesday August 1 Thursday August 2 Friday August 3
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:13 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:40 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
August 3 – 4, 2018 – 23 Av 5778
Light Candles by 7:59 – Havdalah 9:01
* Light Candles by 7:59, and not before 6:49
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:15
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:01
Shabbos, July 28 Aufruf of Ariel Isser, 8:45 Minyan
Monday, August 6 The Man With The Truck, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Shabbos, August 11 Rabbi Reuven Brand, Scholar-in-Residence
Sunday, August 19 Living with Dementia, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 1 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager