Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 8-9, 2014 – 13 Av 5774 – Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 7:53 (and not before 6:45) – Havdalah 8:55
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dova, Michal and Jack Boyars, in honor of their parents and Shabbos Nachamu.
* Light Candles by 7:53, and not before 6:45
* Mincha 6:30 (Social Hall), 6:55, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:55
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 (Sephardi), 7:50 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:55
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Leah & Yoni Bresler in honor of their new grandson, Yoseph Yisroel, born to their children Hava & Avi Freidenreich of Highland Park, NJ.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur is on break until August 23.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:50 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:20 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rena & Chaim Fruchter on the birth of a grandson, Max Elisha Fruchter, to their children Leah Koenig & Yoshie Fruchter.
* Debbie & Clark Rogers and Abby & Chaim Tor on the birth of a grandson born to Adina & Dani Tor. Mazal Tov to great-grandmother Bea Fine of Richmond and great-grandmother Sylvia Rogers. Mazal Tov to big sister Eliana, cousins, aunts, uncles and the entire Mishpachah.
* Stuart Rosenthal on the passing of his mother, Arlene Rosenthal. The funeral took place on Monday. Shiva will be observed at 1220 Arcola Ave. through Sunday morning Shacharis at 8:00.
*Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 7:30 PM, in the Social Hall. Each week will be a stand-alone topic – will not meet this week and will resume on August 19.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com.
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv at 9:00 PM.) – will resume later in the summer.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:50 PM at University – will not meet for the next few weeks.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM – will resume on September 4.
The current situation in Israel gives all of us great concern. Please Daven and do Mitzvos with an added intensity as a merit for the safety of our fellow Jews.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Announces a Special Seudah Shlishit to take place in the YISE social hall on August 30 following the regular Mincha, wishing "Tzaitchem L'Shalom" to those Shul members making Aliyah as well as offering thanks to the IDF and lending support to those in our community with family members in the IDF. To reserve, volunteer and/or help sponsor this event, call Esther at the shul office, 301-593-4465, ext. 402 or email Marilyn Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Annual BBQ "Summer Luau" – Join YISE friends and families as we come together for a wonderful summer celebration to enjoy good foods while wearing our favorite Hawaiian shirts. Bring your beach blankets and chairs to lounge around while we do the grilling! Games, raffles, crafts and more! Fun for all ages! Sunday, August 17, 4:30 PM – 7:00 PM, YGW Boys' School, Price: $10 per adult, $6 for ages 2-8.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, August 17 at 8:30 PM at the home of Dana Sicherman, 912 Lamberton Drive. The topic will be Muktzeh.
High Holiday Preparations – The High Holiday seating form is now available on the YISE web site, and can be completed on line. There are also copies in the box in the lobby outside the Sanctuary and outside the Beis Medrash. Seats not requested will be reassigned to other members that have requested them. Visit www.yise.org/seats It is also important that your financial obligations have been paid up; seats cannot be reserved if there are outstanding obligations. Statements were sent out in early July; if you did not receive yours, please call the Shul office for a copy.
The YISE Hospitality Committee strives to make YISE a warm and welcoming place. So that we are able to provide hospitality for guests and new community members, we are compiling a list of people who are willing to occasionally host guests for Shabbos meals. If you are able to host, please let us know at email@example.com
YISE is searching for a new Youth Minyan Coordinator. If interested, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The YISE Banquet Committee is looking for volunteers to assist with the banquet. Specifically, we are seeking volunteers to help obtain donations for a raffle that will be included as part of the banquet this year. The volunteers can also help design the raffle prize packages to be presented at the banquet. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Elise Saks (email@example.com) and/ or Rachelli Simon (firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition, if anyone has anything to donate (jewelry, toys, baby gear, small appliances, etc.) to the raffle, please contact Elise or Rachelli.
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice from classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Program is on break and will resume on Sunday, August 31.
YISE Nursery registration for 2014-2015 school year – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join them. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will not meet for the rest of the summer, and will resume in September.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
Parsha in the Park!!!! Families are invited to come join us across the street from YISE to play in the park, eat popsicles, and learn about the Parsha with Rabbi Rosenbaum on Shabbos, August 16, at 5:00 PM!!!
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh. Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kumsitz of Song and Prayer for women and girls led by soulful singer Dahlia Topolosky. Feel free to bring instruments and song suggestions. This Motzei Shabbos Nachamu, 9:30 PM to 11:00 PM. Home of Shuly Babitz, 913 Annmore Drive. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can plan our space accordingly.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 13, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Boys' SEED Summer Learning and Activity Program – For rising 6th-11th graders. Davening, Learning, & Activities. Through August 21, 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch. We will provide milk and paper goods. Located at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys' Campus. Cost: $25 per week per student. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-962-5111 ext. 1522.
The unveiling for Cynthia Abrams will be Sunday August 17 at 12:00 noon at the Garden of Remembrance in Clarksburg, MD.
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn Basics – Monday, August 11, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, KMS. Free workshop. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Year-round Assistance – Donations to the Yehuda Mond Foundation and the Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington help a growing number of individuals and families in need, year round, and are a meaningful way to both honor friends and relatives and to celebrate simchas. The Tomchei Shabbos will send beautifully designed cards to the family or individual that you select in order to acknowledge donations made by you honoring someone's Bar or Bas Mitzvah, yarhzeit or any other notable occasion. Please contact the Yehuda Mond Foundation at cards@YehudaMond.org or send your donations to 812 Hyde Court, Silver Spring.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 10 Monday, August 11 Tuesday, August 12 Wednesday, August 13 Thursday, August 14 Friday, August 15
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:26 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
August 15-16, 2014 – 20 Av 5774
Light Candles by 7:45 – Havdalah 8:45
* Light Candles by 7:45
* Mincha 6:45, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:45
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 (Sephardi), 7:40 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:45
Monday, August 11 The Man with the Truck, Arcola Social Hall, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Tuesday, August 12 YISE Board of Directors Meeting 7:30 PM at Arcola
Shabbos, August 16 Parsha in the Park, 5:00 PM
Sunday, August 17 YISE Annual BBQ "Summer Luau"
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 13, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director