Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 8-9, 2016 – 28 Teves 5776 – Parshas Vaera – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:44 – Havdalah 5:47
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of Adam Bashein for his continued coordination of the Ruach Minyan and for ensuring that we start Shabbos with lots of "Good Ruach."
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the birth of a grandson, Edan Moshe (Ayden), to Mira (Diamond) & Chaim Abramson of Baltimore, and to big brother Judah.
* Barbara Price and family on the birth of Benayahu to Herschel & Gavi Bacharach. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Rabbi Israel David Bacharach, Elka Allnutt, Siggy & Rabbi Micha Berger, to the great grandparents Barbara Bacharach, Esther Maniella, Sylvia Smitt, Stanley Wortman, Lilly & Avi Berger, to older brother Akiva, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Light Candles by 4:44
Arcola: 4:45, Ruach University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:47
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:40 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday, January 8, 4:45 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. Children participate during Kabbalas Shabbos. During Maariv there will be a special children's storytime nearby. For more information, contact email@example.com
Esrogim from Israel – The Zman Biyur for Esrogim from Israel used this past Sukkos is January 11. Practically speaking, this means that foods (e.g. jelly) made from Israeli Esrogim may not be eaten past that point. Additionally, it is appropriate for dried up Esrogim to be disposed of before that time. A dried up Esrog can be placed in a bag within a bag and then placed in the garbage. Please feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum with any questions. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
The Three C's of Positive Parenting: Communication, Consequences, Consistency – Join us for this YISE Youth sponsored parent education workshop. Monday, January 11, 2016 at 8:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Veteran educator Susan Koss will speak about creating a healthy parenting environment for all the children in your family. Come and please bring your friends. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
YISE Meaningful Tefillah Project – Classes on Shabbos Davening continue on Monday January 11, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM with Rabbi Ozzie Burnham in the YISE Large Social Hall. The class this Monday night will focus on Davening for Shabbos morning services. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Thursday, January 14 through Sunday, January 24. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
NEXT WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 16, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Help make a Minyan! For the past 2+ years volunteers have been successfully helping University make a Minyan as needed for Shabbos. Unfortunately, due to people moving away, etc., we are again looking for additional volunteers to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Shabbos Minyan. The expectation is that you can be called upon four times a year. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Try helping the University Blvd Minyan without any long term commitment. Due to January being a 5 weekend month, we are short one (1) volunteer to potentially help for Shabbos Bo (January 15-16). Please contact Melvin Sassoon at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able and willing to help the University Blvd Minyan.
Meeting with the Wheaton US Post Office – Due to numerous postal issues across the community, representatives and leadership from the Wheaton Post Office will be meeting with the community at YISE on January 20 at 6:45 PM. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss issues with community members. Hopefully, with an understanding of the issues we can find a solution toward better service. Seating starts at 6:45 PM, program starts at 7:00 PM sharp. Special thank you to Melissa Joseph of Congressman Chris Van Hollen's office. Also thank you to the Kemp Mill Civic Association and YISE for being co-hosts for the program. For any questions, please contact Michael Shimoff email@example.com
Back by Popular Demand: YISE Social Committee Presents: Trivia Night – General knowledge trivia questions. Motzei Shabbos, February 6. Doors open at 7:45 PM, Games begin at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Cost: $3 per person. Teams of 4-6 people. Make your team in advance or join a team at the event. Snacks, fun, and prizes!!! Questions: contact Social@yise.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cheryl Broth (email@example.com).
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
YISE Youth Groups Present: Parsha Shenanigans! Snacks! Prizes! Special Makkos Scavenger Hunt for 1st-4th graders! 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth is going to the Washington Capitals vs. Ottawa Senators game on Sunday, January 10 at 7:00 PM. Tickets are sold out. See you there!
SAVE THE DATE: Shaimos or Shame on Us: Are we throwing out things we shouldn't? Sunday, February 7, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
"Ma Rabu Ma'asecha … Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations" Community Science Lecture Series – "The Discovery of Planets Around Other Stars" by Dr. Avi Mandell, Research Scientist at NASA Goddard's Planetary Systems Laboratory. Sunday, January 10, 12:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553 www.yeshiva.edu
LBJA Open House – Prospective families are invited to join us for the Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy of Fine Arts Open House at the home of Rina & Tim Meushaw, 700 Hillsboro Drive, on Monday, January 11 at 8:00 PM. For info or to RSVP, contact Helen Goldberg, email@example.com or 301-592-8433.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 13, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Beatlemania Again – Berman Hebrew Academy invites you to come experience a premier Beatles tribute band. Almost 50 years ago, the Beatles released what would become the greatest Rock & Roll album of all time: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Come celebrate the music of the Beatles and hear all your favorite hits at a rocking Beatles tribute concert, featuring the premier cover band, Beatlemania Again! Motzei Shabbos, January 23, 7:45 PM, at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Tickets: www.eventbrite.com/e/beatlemania-again-tickets-19990723793 Price: $18 in advance, and $20 at the door. Contact: email@example.com
Yad Yehuda – Formerly known as the Yehudah Mond Foundation, is pleased to announce that the Capital Kosher Food Pantry has moved to the former Shalom's grocery store. This program assists dozens of families in our region by offering a variety of kosher food items at no cost. You can help. Please bring donations of unopened and non-perishable food in cans and boxes when you come to the YISE Youth Parenting Workshop on January 11, 8:00 PM at YISE. No glass bottles, please. We need grains, vegetables, fruits, healthy snacks, beans, etc. Other donation sites will be available soon. If you need assistance or know someone who could benefit from The Capital Kosher Pantry, please call Shani Leiman at 240-274-7652. Strict confidentiality is maintained. Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Job Search for 50+ – Career Gateway offers intensive training, takehome materials, and a long-term mentor. Next series: January 20, 22, 25, 27, and 29. Info and register at http://www.accessjca.org/programs/senior-employment/
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 10 Monday, Jan. 11 – Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, January 12 Wednesday, January 13 Thursday, January 14 Friday, January 15
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:50 4:50, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:50, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:50, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:50, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:48 PM
January 15-16, 2016 – 6 Shevat 5776
Light Candles by 4:51 – Havdalah 5:54
* Light Candles by 4:51
Arcola: 4:55 University: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:50 University: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:54
Friday, January 8 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 4:45 PM
Sun./Mon., Jan. 10/11 Used Seforim Sale, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, January 11 The Three C's of Positive Parenting:
Communication, Consequences, Consistency
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 16 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:00 PM
Wednesday, January 20 Post Office Meeting, Social Hall, 6:45 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 6 YISE Social Committee Trivia Night
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 13 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director