Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 4 – 5, 2019 – 28 Teves 5779 – Parshas Vaera – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:40 – Havdalah 5:44
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Robin & Lawton Cooper on the birth of a grandson, born to Chava & Mickey Cooper of Yerushalayim
* Melissa & Chad Miller on the engagement of their daughter, Chana Aliza (Allie), to Lidor Hayun, son of Revital & Armo Hayun. Mazal Tov to all of the grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Light Candles by 4:40
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:35 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Shabbos Ends: 5:44
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Bar Mevorach
* 8:00 AM Minyan – Dr. David and Bracha Peto in honor of David making a Siyum on Maseches Menachos.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Aaron and Ahuva Orlofsky and family in honor of Sammy Franco, our current shul president, and Rabbi Silver that no job is too big or too small. He truly cares about the growth of our Shul.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur following the Rabbi's Drasha, approximately 10:45 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will resume on January 13.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will take place this week in the Beis Medrash. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, January 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, January 12, at 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall! For people who would like their child to participate in Dor L'Dor but are not available to learn with him / her, we will try to match your child with an available volunteer adult, upon advance request (usually by 10:00 AM on the preceding Friday). However, parents accepting this offer are responsible for getting their child to and from the program.or more info., please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Dispelling Myths Regarding Autism: Sunday, January 13, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM. YISE Small Social Hall. Autism, a developmental disorder that is growing in prevalence, affects social skills, communication, and repetitive behaviors. Awareness and understanding of autism increases the chances of early diagnosis and support. Learn from an expert panel: the signs and symptoms of autism, the experience of parenting a child with autism, techniques for teaching children with this diagnosis, the perspective of an openly autistic professional, and some Jewish insights on disabilities. Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Shomrai Preschool Presents: How Learning Happens: Why We Do What We Do. Save the Date! Sunday February 24th 7:30 PM. An experiential, educational evening for parents, open to the entire community. For more information and to RSVP, please email Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to former YISE member Gerrie Atkin, on the passing of her mother, Ruth Feldman, and to Amy, Daniel, Michael, Jonathan, Pnina and Joseph on the passing of their grandmother. Shiva is being observed at 11812 Kemp Mill Road, from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Saturday – Wednesday.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 5, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:00 PM
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Rd. Tuesday, January 8, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Mittelman.
Kemp Mill Village Book Swap and Meet a Neighbor "Bingo" – Sunday, January 6, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM at Kemp Mill Elementary School. Save the date and tell your friends! To brighten these quieter days of the winter season and have some fun, join us at a get-together to build community connections. Door prizes, good conversation, and light refreshments. Books can be dropped off in advance at 604 Winona Court, 12 noon – 4:00 PM, January 1. If you can spare time to make one phone call or home visit a week, please consider volunteering for Kemp Mill Village. Help us build a stronger community and reach out to your elderly or disabled neighbors.
Free Job Search Webinars:
* Cracking the Federal Job Search Code, Monday, January 7, 8:00 PM – 8:30 PM
* Moving Forward in Your Career–Getting Out of the Job Rut, Monday, January 7, 8:30 PM – 9:00 PM
* LinkedIn 101, Tuesday, January 15, 8:30 PM – 9:00 PM
For more information and to register, please visit www.FederalJobResults.com/events
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 9, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Music Class for Babies and Toddlers, Ages 0 – 4 – Sunday, January 13, 9:30 AM – 10:15 AM at Berman Hebrew Academy. Coffee, bagels, and schmoozing for the grown-ups and snacks for the kiddos too. Have fun, stay warm, and get a little taste of the Berman Hebrew Academy Preschool. RSVP to Elana Stein at 301-962-9400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chevra Kadisha Tahara Training – The Chevra Kadisha invites all community members to come learn about the Tahara process from Rabbi Elchonon Zohn, the president of the National Association of Chevra Kadisha (NACK). Training will take place on Sunday, January 20, at YISE. General training session 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Session for leaders and those who wish to learn more about becoming a Tahara leader from 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM. The Chevra Kadisha strongly encourages all Chevra volunteers and community members who wish to join the Chevra Kadisha to come and get a better understanding of our work.
Yad Yehuda Breakfast Save the date! Sunday, February 3, at 9:30 AM at YISE; Second annual Yad Yehuda breakfast, honoring Mrs. Susan Koss. Learn more about Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Newly Married? Growing Family? Just need a budget check-up? A new community resource, IZUN, provides financial education and decision-making support for young couples, growing families, and those facing changes in their financial status. IZUN provides tools and trained confidential counselors to help you examine your budget and review options to sustain financial stability. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances, and it has the enthusiastic support of community leaders and Rabbonim. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (240) 433-3944.
Boys Baseball & Basketball – Registration is now open! This spring, Ko-ach Sports is back for another great season of spring Baseball (1st – 5th grade). We are also excited to announce the launch of winter Basketball (2nd & 3rd grade) with head coach Adam Mervis! All sports play on Sundays. Go to www.Ko-achSports.com for more information.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry needs donations of kosher food items to fill its shelves. To make it simple to donate, we have set up online "Wish Lists" at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and Target.com. Much like a wedding registry, our Wish Lists are regularly updated to help the community choose and donate the items that the pantry currently needs. Items are shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry, usually with no shipping fee. Feel free to take advantage of any online sales you may find on relevant pantry items, but please verify that they have reliable kosher supervision. For links to the Pantry Wish Lists, please visit www.yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist Please support this important community resource and pass this information to your friends and family! For more information about the Capital Kosher Pantry, visit www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry Thanks so much for your ongoing support!
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up." Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 6 Monday, Jan. 7 – Rosh Chodesh Tuesday January 8 Wednesday January 9 Thursday January 10 Friday January 11
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:50 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:47 PM
January 11 – 12, 2019 – 6 Shevat 5779
Light Candles by 4:47 – Havdalah 5:50
* Light Candles by 4:47
Ashkenazi: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:45 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:50
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 5 Wine Glass Painting for Singles, 8:00 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 12 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 13 Making Sense of Autism, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 13 Clothing Drive, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM, KMS
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 9 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager