Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 27-28, 2017 – 1 Shevat 5777 – Parshas Vaera – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 5:05 – Havdalah 6:07
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Shmunis family in gratitude to the community for its tremendous support following the passing of Gregory's father, Mordko Shmunis.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the marriage of their granddaughter Tehilah Miller, daughter of D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller, of Baltimore, to Natanel Greenwald, son of Nava & Yisrael Greenwald of Monsey. Mazal Tov to grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Ze'ev Mizrach and great-grandmother, Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Shaine Spolter:
* On the birth of a great-granddaughter, Devorah, to Faigy & Yaakov Zylberberg of Lakewood, NJ.
* On the upcoming marriage of her grandson, Simcha Spolter, son of Pam & Yair Spolter of Kiryat Sefer, to Tohar Cohen, daughter of Ayala & Yisrael Cohen of Afula.
* On the upcoming marriage of her granddaughter, Chana Zylberberg, daughter of Yael & Rabbi Symcha Zylberberg of Lakewood, to Chayim Berman, son of Shaine & Rabbi Mayer Berman of Lakewood.
There are no Minyanim at University Blvd. this Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 5:05
Arcola: 5:05 University: N/A Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00 University: N/A Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:07
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Guy & Lior Dahan in honor of Rabbi Levy and his family.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Faith & Gil Ginsburg in honor of the Yahrzeits of Faith's mother, Lottie Rosenson, and Gil's mother, Sarah Ginsburg.
* 9:15 Minyan – In honor of Abie Merkin's farewell from Kemp Mill by his friends at the 9:15 Minyan.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:00 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Tuesday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday through Friday, 6:25 AM in the Beis Medrash – will resume Tuesday, January 31.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for Women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L – will resume Sunday, February 5.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 28, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Judy & David Marwick. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Pidyon Shvuyim and Prisoner Exchanges – The GWCK invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics lecture with Rabbi Moshe Hauer. Sunday, Jan. 29 at 10:30 AM at YISE.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2017-2018 is now open! Visit http://nursery.yise.org to register Contact 301–593–7365 or email@example.com to schedule a tour.
Camp Shomrai is back for another wonderful summer! Camp will run for 7 weeks beginning Monday, June 26 and ending Friday, August 11. Register online at http://campshomrai. campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Understanding our Good Fortune – Get each day off to a better start by attending a class on the meaning of Ashrei and a general perspective and Halachic review of Pesukei Dezimrah. Join Rabbi Rosenbaum for the second and third sessions, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM, Tuesdays, January 31 and February 7 in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
SAVE THE DATE: Join the GWCK and YISE for an Inspirational Shabbos – Shabbos, February 3-4. Thought provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK. Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer, Simcha Leiner. Elegant catered Friday night family dinner (adult: $22, children (3-7): $12, children under 3: free) with free babysitting available during the dinner. To make dinner reservations, please contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or 301-346-8752 or email@example.com For more information contact Rosh Kollel Rabbi Menachem Winter at 301-213-6504 or firstname.lastname@example.org Sponsorship opportunities available. Please make checks payable to GWCK.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, February 6, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West, Apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: Shabbos, February 10-11: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich – Former "Prisoner for Zion." Author, Unbroken Spirit: A Heroic Story Of Faith, Courage and Survival.
* Friday Evening, 8:30 PM, light refreshments: Confessions of a Jewish Hijacker
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): Keeping Shabbos and Mitzvos Against All Odds – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv: Tasting and Embracing Freedom: From Prisoner for Zion to Citizen of Zion
Escape your Personal Prison – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich, our Scholar -in-Residence over Shabbos February 10-11, will also speak Sunday morning at 10:30 AM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. He will speak about how we can use Tefilah to overcome our spiritual roadblocks. Part of the Meaningful Tefilah project. To sponsor, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Paint Nite – Presented by the YISE Social Committee with Talya Weinberg. Motzei Shabbos, February 18. Refreshments at 7:30 PM, painting begins at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. EVENT IS SOLD OUT.
Make the Most of Your Doctor's Appointment – A medical panel coaches you in how to plan for your visit, discuss sensitive topics, and ask the right questions about tests, medications, and results. Drs. Theo Heller, David Taragin, and Daniel Schwartz. Sunday, February 19, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, YISE Beis Medrash. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and chesed committees of YISE, KMS, SSJC, and Ohr Hatorah.
Yahrzeit of Rabbi Hillel Klavan, ZT"L – The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington invites the community to a gathering to mark the first Yahrzeit of its long-time President. Sunday, February 19, 8:00 PM at YISE. Speakers will be Rabbi Yehoshua Wender, Rabbi Yosef Singer, Rabbi Sheftel Neuberger, and Rabbi Menachem Winter.
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth Oneg Shabbos on Friday, January 27:
* High School Boys: "Cases in the Bais Din," with Rabbi Rosenbaum at 11403 Cloverhill Drive. 8:30 PM – 9:45 PM.
* Middle School and High School Girls: "Unlocking Greatness," with Mrs. Estee Silver at 1111 Arcola Avenue (Katzoff household). 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes – Women of all ages are invited to join us for our third annual event, Sunday, February 19, 2017 from 5:45 PM – 7:15 PM. RSVP to email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur – will resume Tuesday, January 31.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 28, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
Ma Rabu Maasecha Community Science Lecture Series – Dr. Jonathan Mizrahi (UMD) will speak about "Quantum Computing" with Torah Insights from Rabbi Yitzcak Grossman (GWCK). Sunday, January 29, 12:30 PM at YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553
A Dinner of Possibilities – Berman Upper School students invite you to experience their talents and culinary abilities. Sunday, January 29 at Berman. Reception at 5:30 PM followed by seated dinner at 6:30 PM. All proceeds support student activities. Please RSVP on the Berman website: http://www.mjbha.org/Support/Dinner_of_Your_Dreams_RSVP.cfm
An Evening of Magic – Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for an adult evening of smiles and fun as we dedicate the BCGW Smilemakers Program in memory of Rabbi Yosef Samberg A"H. Sunday, January 29 at 7:30 PM at YISE. Elegant desserts will be served. Entertainment by magician Benjamin Nemze. $36 per person.Sponsorship opportunities are available. For more information contact BCGW at 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 1, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Fighting Anti-Semitism on Campus: Mid-Atlantic Premier of Hate Spaces: The Politics of Intolerance on Campus – Thursday, February 2, 7:00 PM – 8:45 PM at KMS. Free community event. Sarah Stern, Director of the Endowment for Middle East Truth (EMET), will provide background on the Anti-Semitism Awareness Act that is before Congress now. The film "Hate Spaces" examines the nature of the ideological and organizational assault on campuses across the country. The producers of "Hate Spaces," Charles Jacobs and Avi Goldwasser, will lead a discussion about the film. Sponsored by KMS in cooperation with EMET. For more information, contact Ina Lerman email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Job Search Skills – Free webinars with Peggy McKee. (1) 5 Steps to Battle Ageism, January 31. (2) Perfect Interview Answers, February 1. Info and register at http://careerconfidential.com/training-webinars/
* AARP Webinars – AARP offers free webinars on relevant topics. Info and register at http://aarptek.aarp.org/tek-online-webinars/
GWCK Men's VIP Trip to Lakewood – An amazing day of learning and inspiration! Sunday, February 12. Learn together with hundreds of Kollel Scholars, hear words of inspiration from the Rosh Hayeshiva, enjoy a private lunch with Rabbi Aaron Kotler, President of BMG Yeshiva, and much more! Trip cost: $85. Includes transportation, breakfast, lunch, and an elegant dinner. Reservations required. Spaces limited. To RSVP or for more information contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at (513) 313-4899; firstname.lastname@example.org
Brand New Boys Baseball League – Starting this spring Ko-ach Sports will be launching a new Sunday only baseball league for boys 1st-6th grade in the Silver Spring Jewish Community. The deadline to sign up is February 1. More information at www.Ko-achSports.com or contact Josh Hollander at JoshuaRHollander@gmail.com
Mikvah Emunah Society Annual Dinner – Honoring Dr. Caroline Namrow and Rabbi Jacob I. Halpern, Community Service Award. Wednesday, February 15, at Kemp Mill Synagogue. Buffet dinner begins at 6:30 PM. To RSVP or to place an ad in the commemorative journal please visit www.mikvahemunah.org
JCC Maccabi Games – We are looking for participants to join Team Greater Washington at the Mid-Atlantic Junior Games on May 7 (for ages 10-12) and the weeklong JCC Maccabi Games and Arts Fest (for ages 13-16), held this summer in Albany, Birmingham and Miami. Teens do not need to be a member of a JCC to participate. The Games are a week-long Olympic-style event for young Jewish athletes aged 13-16. Athletes interact with other Jewish teens from all over the world through social activities, participate in community service projects, and go home with friendships and memories to last a lifetime! Tryouts for team sports begin this month. For more information visit: www.benderjccgw.org/maccabi
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go?This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. Contact email@example.com , call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 29 Monday, January 30 Tuesday, January 31 Wednesday, February 1 Thursday, February 2 Friday, February 3
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 5:15 5:15 / 7:30 5:15 / 7:30 5:15 / 7:30 5:15 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:22 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:46 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 3-4, 2017 – 8 Shevat 5777
Light Candles by 5:13 – Havdalah 6:15
* Light Candles by 5:13
Arcola: 5:15 University: 5:15 Sephardi: 5:10 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:10 University: 5:10 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:15
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 28 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM, YISE Social Hall
Wednesday, February 1 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, YISE Social Hall – Tovah Kasdin, J.D.,Director, ElderSAFE
Shabbos, February 3-4 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Tuesday, February 7 YISE Board of Directors meeting, 8:00 PM
Shabbos, February 10-11 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich
Monday, February 13 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 18 YISE Paint Nite, YISE Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 1 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager