Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 16-17, 2015 – 26 Teves 5775 – Parshas Vaera – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:52 – Havdalah 5:55
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lee & Craig Oppenheim in honor of Naftali Moshe's second birthday and his Ima & Abba's anniversary.
* Light Candles by 4:52
Arcola: 4:55 University: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:50 University: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:55
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:05 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Suri & Eric Kinzbrunner and family on the birth of a baby boy. The Shalom Zachar will be at 1168 Kersey Road, (the home of the Sloan family), starting around 8:00 PM. The Bris is planned for Monday morning after the 8:30 Shacharis Minyan.
* Karen & Cary Presser on the birth of a granddaughter, Alivia May. Parents are Aliza & Alejandro Lazo of Rockville.
* Anne & Scott Schlesinger on the marriage of their son, Joseph, to Brittney Cohen, daughter of Heidi & Andrew Cohen of Scranton, PA.
* Eliezer Goldfeiz on the passing of his father, Yehezkiel Goldfeiz. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva was completed on Friday.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 17, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Judy & David Marwick. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum is on vacation from through Sunday, January 25. People with Halachic questions should feel free to call Rabbi Silver at 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum about a pressing matter should contact a member of the office staff, who will alert Rabbi Rosenbaum.
JCCGW Senior Satellite – Wednesday, January 21, 1:00 PM at YISE. Louis Solomon of LifeECHOES offers suggestions on how to document a life story to pass along information to future generations. Program sponsored by Abby Fine Tor of BrightStar Care. No charge for program. Lunch is available at noon with reservations by January 19. For more information contact Linda Wechsler at email@example.com
Taharas Hamishpacha Review for Men – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a review for married men on Monday, February 2, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Beis Medrash.
Food for Thought: Developing a Healthier Relationship with Food for You and Your Family – Please NOTE NEW DATE: Tuesday, February 3, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Join us for this YISE Youth sponsored parent education workshop. Alana Riss Fine, PhD, psychologist, will speak about creating a healthy food environment in your home. Come and bring your friends. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! "I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301 593-7365 or email email@example.com for inquiries.
Thanks to everyone who helped make YISE/KMS clothing drive a huge success last week. Thanks to Sharon Butler, Hadar Carmel, Naomi Carmel, Ori Carmel, Sarit Carmel, Coby Cohen, Edan Friedman, Matan Friedman, Merav Friedman, Miriam Friedman, Steve Friedman, Daniel Ginsburg, Benzion Kott, Debbie Kotz, Ruven Kotz, Jacob Namrow, Dina Pepper, and Richard Swedarsky. (We apologize if we left anyone out.)
Taharas Hamishpacha Class for Women – Robin Niman, the manager of the Wallerstein Mikvah, will be giving Part II of a two-part refresher course on Sunday, February 15, at 11:00 AM, in the YISE Beis Medrash. Co-sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington and YISE.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on Sunday, February 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on Tuesday, January 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on Tuesday, January 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on Wednesday, January 28.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on Wednesday, January 28.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will resume on Sunday, January 25.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Chaim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Shomrim Needed – Paid Shomrim needed to serve in local funeral homes. Please call Howard Katz 301-933-3033.
Halachic Dilemmas in the Holocaust – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Menachem Winter, Rosh Kollel, GWCK presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington-Tiferes Gedaliah. Monday, January 19, Chavrusa 9:00 AM, Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Community-Wide Shlock Rock Concert – Sunday, February 1, 3:30 PM, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Tickets are $5 each. Contact Allison Lazar at email@example.com for more details.
Food Gemach partners with Food Bank – To meet increasing needs, the Yehuda Mond Foundation, in partnership with the Capital Area Food Bank, makes available, free of charge, non-perishable kosher food. For more information visit http://foodgemach.org
Professional Clothing and Coat Drive – Do you have items that are in good condition but could use a new home? Donate today. Contact Adam Bashein for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Golden Network offers seniors a variety of home-based programs, including one-on-one learning, musical performances and friendship visits. For more info: 301-338-4810, email@example.com or visit www.goldennetwork.org
Job Assist Events:
* WordPress for Beginners – Series of 8 online classes starts on January 20. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
* Job Search for 50+ – Polish your resume, networking, and interviewing skills in 5 days of classroom training. Next session begins January 20. For info, contact egreenberg@AccessJCA.org
* College Students – Learn how to create your resume. http://www.resume-place.com/2014/12/college-students-create-killer-resume-winter-break/
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 18 Monday, Jan. 19 – MLK Jr. Day Tuesday, January 20 Wed., Jan. 21 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday, January 22 Friday, January 23
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30* 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 6:25, 7:15 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:10 6:25, 7:15
Arcola 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
* The 8:30 Minyan on Monday, January 19 will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary followed by the Kinzbrunner Bris.
January 23-24, 2015 – 4 Shevat 5775
Light Candles by 5:00 – Havdalah 6:03
* Light Candles by 5:00
Arcola: 5:00 University: 5:00 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:55 University: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:0
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 17 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, January 21 JCCGW Senior Satellite Lunch
Monday, February 2 Taharas Hamishpacha Review for Men
Tuesday, February 3 Parent Education Workshop
Sunday, March 1 YISE Annual Banquet
Honorees: Lianne & Theo Heller and Youth Honorees: Yoni Broth, Daniel Ginsburg, and Hadassah Solomson
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 21 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director