Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 12 – 13, 2018 – 26 Teves 5778 – Parshas Vaera- Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:48 – Havdalah 5:52
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Shera & Reuven Gaisin on the birth of their daughter, Chaya Basya. Mazal Tov to the siblings, grandparents Sheila & Allen Gaisin and Marion & Hal Dinitz of Potomac, and the entire family.
* Martha & Ed Karl on the birth of a grandson, Nadav Alon, born to their children Robin & Yaron Karl of New Milford, NJ. Mazal Tov also to big brother Matan and the extended family.
* Phyllis Heller and Theo Heller on the passing of their husband and father, Joshua Heller. The funeral took place on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at the home of Theo Heller, 918 Lamberton Drive, through Tuesday morning. Shacharis Sunday 8:00 AM, Monday 6:45 AM, Tuesday 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv Sunday/Monday 4:50 PM. No visitors between 12 Noon & 1:00 PM, 6:00 PM & 7:00 PM or after 10:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 4:48
Ashkenazi: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:45 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:52
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Shulie and Ronnie Bergman to commemorate the 6th Yahrtzeit of Ronnie's brother, Mordechai ben Eliezer Asher.
* Sephardi Minyan – Avishay Barda
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume February 4.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume Tuesday, January 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash will resume January 30. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash will resume January 31.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume January 24.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM – 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall will not take place this week.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Mother (figure)/Daughter paint night with Talya Weinberg! Sunday January 21, 5:45 PM – 7:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall. $30 for mom+1, $40 for mom + 2, $50 max. There are only 75 spots available, so make sure to RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org soon to reserve your spots! Ages 6 and up.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Hadas & Dr. Nachum Forgy, Sarena & Russell Mayer, Aravah & Yair Treister.
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation through Sunday, January 21. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917- 363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the Shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, January 17, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler will speak about "The Difference Between the Jewish Calendar and the Solar Calendar."
NEXT WEEK: Ruach Minyan – Hold the date for the next Ruach Minyan, Friday January 19, in the Social Hall at 5:00 PM, when we will start with Mincha. Please arrive on time for those who need to say Kaddish. Yes, there will be a special children's story program during part of the davening! So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact email@example.com
NEXT WEEK: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 20, 7:00 PM, Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun! To sponsor this program, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
How Am I Supposed to Control My Jealousy? – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, January 28, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Understanding and Dealing with Depression in Adults – Recognize its signs, become aware of the different types of treatments. Learn how to support those who suffer and those around them. Hear a Torah perspective on challenges of depression. Introduction by Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Speakers: Selena Snow, Ph.D., psychologist, and Naomi Schnittman, MD, psychiatrist. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, February 4, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Social Hall.
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Men – Taught by Rabbi Rosenbaum. Monday, February 5, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, in the Large Beis Medrash.
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 2: Sunday, February 25 (changed from original date), 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM.
YISE Social Hall. Scholar-in-Residence – Mark your calendar for the next Scholar-in- Residence – March 2-3 with Rabbi Dr. Michael & Prof. Smadar Rosensweig.
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 28, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM, at KMS, cosponsored by KMS, YISE, and NCSY to benefit CHANA, a Jewish response to domestic violence. Drop off all sizes of gently used clothing, coats, shoes, linens, blankets, drapes, purses, and stuffed animals (no toys.) Early drop off at 903 Holborn St., Silver Spring, MD on the porch until 1:30PM on 1/28. Volunteers are needed to help sort and to drive clothing to Baltimore on Sunday. To volunteer or for more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com Get tax deduction receipts at drive or download from http://wp.yise.org/clothing-drive
SAVE THE DATE: An Inspirational Shabbos ¡V GWCK, in conjunction with YISE, presents An Inspirational Shabbos: Connecting through Torah, Tefillah and Song.
Shabbos Parshas Yisro, February 2-3, 2018 at YISE.
* Thought-provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK
* Elegant, enjoyable catered Friday Night family dinner
* Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Rabbi Baruch Levine
Elegant, enjoyable catered Friday Night family dinner. Adult: $22, Children (3 to 7) $12, Children under 3: free. To make reservations, call Simi Franco at 301-593-4465×403 or 301-346-8752 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay tuned for more information!
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT¡¨L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Disability Inclusion Committee is seeking helpful feedback from individuals and families within our community who have challenges that could benefit from added accommodations. If you or a member of your family has a visible or invisible disability, including ones that result from illness or aging, we would like to arrange for a confidential interview to learn more about your YISE experience. Please contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com or 301-675-6684.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shomrai Preschool Director
We are excited and honored to announce that Suri Kinzbrunner has accepted the position of director of the Shomrai preschool. The YISE Board of Directors approved Suri's appointment as director for the 2018-2019 school year with Suri starting full time beginning on July 1, 2018.
Suri brings broad experience to this position, having taught preschool at Kemp Mill Montessori and having run her own preschool, Gan Shemesh. Suri shares the educational philosophy of our preschool of engaging with children through their curiosity, interests, and abilities. Suri will work closely with Ruthie Cohen, our current preschool director, to ensure a seamless transition. We will set up parlor meetings in the near future for our preschool parents to meet Suri.
We wish Ruthie much hatzlacha in her future endeavors and we warmly welcome Suri.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Sharon Freundel at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 13, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:00 PM.
Federal Holiday Learning Program – The Measure of a Mitzvah: Practical Applications of Halachic Measurements – Monday, January 15, MLK Day, for men at the YGW Boys Campus. Shiur with Rabbi Eli Reingold begins at 9:30am. Light refreshments will be served. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute – What Really Happened and What Does it Mean to ME? Understanding Stories of the Chumash through the Eyes of the Mefarshim and Comprehending the Message of the Midrashim. A weekly shiur for women and postseminary girls by Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Mondays at 8:00PM at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive in White Oak. For More information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 17, 8:00 PM – 9:00PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
DC Lunch & Learn – Fertility Treatments: Playing G-d or Implementing G-d's Wishes – with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. January 22, 12 Noon – 12:45 PM at Morgan Lewis. Complimentary lunch served, RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org Please see flyer at www.gwckollel.org for more info.
Free Job Search Webinar – The Top 3 Mistakes High Achievers Make When Changing Careers, with Scott Barlow. Monday, January 17, and Wednesday, January 19, two sessions each day. More info and register at http://www.happentoyourcareer.com/live-workshop
Free Job Search Workshop – Networking for a Successful Job Search, Tuesday, January 23, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM, to be held at the Silver Spring Library.
CPR Class – Sunday, February 11, 12 Noon at YISE. Full certification class administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. It will be infant & child CPR ONLY, with no adult CPR component. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, which will include both CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. The (subsidized) cost for the class will be $35 per person. Payment by cash, credit card, check, or Paypal to NOVA Cert, LCC at the event. Estimated time for the class is 2-1/2 to 3 hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). If interested, please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in the babysitting preparation class.
Caregiver Support Group – Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington is looking to form a monthly support group for adults coping with the challenges of caregiving for family members. For details and registration, contact BCGW at 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 14 Monday January 15 Tuesday January 16 Wed., Jan. 17 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday January 18 Friday January 19
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20
Ashkenazi 4:55 4:55 / 7:30 4:55 / 7:30 4:55 / 7:30 4:55 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:50 PM
January 19-20, 2018 – 4 Shevat 5778
Light Candles by 4:56 – Havdalah 5:59
* Light Candles by 4:56
Ashkenazi: 5:00 Ruach: 5:00 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:55 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:59
Wednesday, January 17 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall
Friday, January 19 Ruach Minyan, 5:00 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 20 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 28 Clothing Drive, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM at KMS
Shabbos, February 2-3 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Sunday, February 4 Understanding Depression, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Monday, February 5 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Men, 8:00 PM Large Beis Medrash
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 17 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager