Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 27-28, 2013 – 25 Tevet 5774 – Parshas Vaera – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:34 – Havdalah 5:38
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Berner family in celebration of Flora Berner's 100th Birthday.
* Light Candles by 4:34
* Mincha 4:35, *4:35 Social Hall, 4:30 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:15 (Sephardi), 4:30 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:38
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Eizenstat family in honor of Eliezer Kalman's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:00 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Jessica & Jay Eizenstat on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Eliezer Kalman. Mazal Tov also to his siblings, Menachem, Bracha, Michal and Yitzchok, and grandparents, Stuart Eizenstat and Risa & Robert Gold.
* Faith & Gil Ginsburg on the engagement of their grandson Avrohom Dovid, son of Chana & Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg of Ramat Beit Shemesh, to Baila Yehudis Malinowitz of Ramat Beit Shemesh.
* Chava & Howard Kern on the birth a granddaughter, Cayla Rose to Marlowe & James Rinsler of New York. Mazal Tov also to big sister Neva.
* Craig Simon on completing his Master of Public Management from the University of Maryland, College Park.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – Shiur will not meet this week, December 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Professional Malpractice" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM – Program will not meet this Sunday, December 29.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Honorees: Jodi & David Mazel
Young Leadership: Rachelli & Craig Simon
and Youth Honorees: Tara Kugler – Naomi Merkin – Adena Miller
To volunteer to serve on a Banquet Committee, please contact Elise Saks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YISE Programs and Listings
A Weekend of Chazanus with world-renowned Chazan Benjamin Muller (Chief Chazan of Antwerp, Belgium) in celebration of the Bar Mitzvah of Eliezer Kalman Eizenstat:
* Chazan Muller will lead the Davening in the Belonofsky Sanctuary this Friday night. *For those more interested in our traditional Friday night format, there will be a Minyan in the Social Hall at 4:35.
* Melava Malka Concert – Motzei Shabbos, December 28, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Light refreshments to follow. Admission is free. Traveler's Guide for the Wandering Jew – Rabbi Silver will be giving the second part of his two part series on Monday night December 30 at 8:00 PM, YISE Beis Medrash.
Judaica and Seforim Sale – Tuesday, December 31 and Wednesday, January 1, large side of the YISE Social Hall. Come fill in the gaps in your library and find great gifts as well. Bring your Shaimos for proper disposal for a nominal fee.
What Jewish Educators Want Every Parent to Know – Lianne Heller, Director of the YISE Nursery School, will be the first speaker in an exciting parenting lecture series sponsored by the YISE Youth Committee. Her talk will be entitled "The 7 Essential Life Skills." Sunday, January 5, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Free admission
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday January 6, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com.
Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA)
After the Eruv was down December 13-14 the cost of repairs was approximately $700 (for a bucket truck, operator & materials). In addition, one volunteer took a day off from work and spent seven hours supervising the repair work. Please remember to support the Eruv. There will be no postal appeal this year. Only about 150 donations have been received so far. Please do not make your donation on a shul web site. Mail your check as indicated below. The suggested donation is $36 per household, but smaller – and larger – donations are gratefully accepted. Make your tax deductible check payable to YISE Eruv Fund. Mail your check to SSEA at 11113 Lombardy Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp. Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, 7:00 PM-8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
YGW Boys Division invites you to attend the following informative events at the YGW Boys Campus:
* 6th grade Visiting Day. Monday, December 30, 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Students will walk through an abbreviated day.
* Pizza lunch followed by standardized testing at 1:00 PM for incoming 7th grade students. Sunday, January 5, 12:15 PM.
For more information please contact Rabbi Amram Hes at the Yeshiva, 301-649-7077 ext. 1528 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 1 Or 1/1? – Choosing the Lesser of Two Evils – Halachic Attitudes Toward Non-Jewish Dates and Names – Wednesday, January 1. The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW. Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Girls Night Out with Mrs. Zakem and Mrs. Glassberg – Next Motzei Shabbos, January 4 at the home of the Kuglers, 11602 Filmore Dr., 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM. Join a lively discussion about topics that are relevant to your life. Open to High School girls.
Clothing drive benefiting local area gemachs – Clean out your closets and drop off any gently used clothing in bags/boxes at the Friedman residence on the porch at 903 Holborn St., no later than Sunday, January 5 @ 11:00AM or drop off clothing in the KMS lobby on Sunday, January 5 from 12:00 noon until 1:30 PM ONLY. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington invites you to a special shopping event with Double Header (from Brooklyn) selling skirts, shells, jewelry, hair coverings, baby blankets, hosiery. Sunday, January 5, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the Maybergs' event room, 411 Hermleigh Rd.
YGW Girls Division Open House for parents of 6th grade girls.Come meet the administration, department heads and teachers and learn about the school and its programs. Tuesday, January 7, 8:00 PM, For more information, or if the date is inconvenient, please contact our Menahel Rabbi Zev Katz 301-962-5111 ext. 1504 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sulam has been offered a matching grant opportunity for all donations received by December 31. Double your end of year contribution by donating to Sulam at www.sulam.org or mailing your contribution to Sulam, 13300 Arctic Avenue, 20853, 301-962-9400 x 5523. Help us reach our goal of $50,000. Every donation counts!
Year-End-Appeal – Two local foundations provide much needed assistance to a growing number of individuals and families in our community. Your tax deductible donations may be sent to: (1) The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street or through paypal at email@example.com and (2) the Yehuda Mond Foundation, at http://www.TomcheiShabbosGW.com.
YGW 50th Annual Banquet – Sunday, January 12. Celebrating the living legacy of our founder and Rosh HaYeshiva, Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L. We will commemorating his enduring vision and historic leadership with the naming of the Yeshiva in his memory. Presenting the Akeres HaBayis Award to Mrs. Sima Jacoby for more than 40 years of service to the Yeshiva. For more information visit www.ygwevents.com/50thBanquet or 301-962-5111 ext. 1552.
Southeast Hebrew Congregation (SEHC), in partnership with the Destiny Foundation (http://www.jewishdestiny.com/), will be hosting a live presentation on Monday, January 13, 7:30 PM at SEHC, featuring Rabbi Berel Wein and Rabbi Yissocher Frand. Please join us for an evening of engaging dialogue and insight as experiences are related and views offered on the development of the Yeshiva world in America and its influence on the issues of today. The discussion will include timely topics such as "Do I still need a Rebbe in a generation of Torah books, CDs and iPods?" and "How can we ensure that our Shabbos table is a call to the future?" Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for students. For more information, or to be a sponsor, please contact Fred Mailman firstname.lastname@example.org or Hyam Singer email@example.com.
Job Assist Events:
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – "Tips for Veterans" on January 7 and "10 Steps to a Federal Job" on January 9. Register at http://www. resume-place.com/services/free-webinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job/.
* Summer Jobs for 2014 – For info on when, where, and how to look, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* LinkedIn for Beginners – Free. Wednesday, January 8, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Register at www.jssa.org.
* SQL for Beginners – First of six classes on Tuesday, January 14, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 29 Monday, December 30 Tuesday, December 31 Wednesday, Jan. 1 New Years Day Thursday, Jan. 2 Rosh Chodesh Friday, January 3
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:20, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A 8:00 N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 7:30 6:00 6:15
Arcola 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) N/A 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:44 PM
January 3-4, 2014 – 3 Shevat 5774
Light Candles by 4:40 – Havdalah 5:43
* Light Candles by 4:40
* Mincha 4:40, 4:35 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:25 (Sephardi), 4:40 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:43
Shabbos, December 28 Bar Mitzvah of Eliezer Kalman Eizenstat
Shabbos, January 4 Bar Mitzvah of Ezra Dayanim (Sephardi)
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 4 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Wednesday, January 15 Senior Lunch, Speaker will be Amit
Levinson, Shaliach from the JCC
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 1, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Closed Wednesday, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director