Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Purim Pants
March 14-15, 2014 – 13 Adar II 5774 – Parshas Tzav – Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 6:56 – Havdalah 7:55
* Light Candles by 6:56
* Mincha 7:00, 7:00 (Ruach), 6:55 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:40 (Sephardi), 6:55 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Parashas Zachor will be repeated at the 5:00 Early Mincha and at the regular (6:55) Arcola Mincha.
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:55 – followed by Megilla Reading
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Miriam & Yekhiel Weill in honor of the Yahzreit of Yekhiel's father, Victor, Avigdor Ben Eliezer Chanoch, Z"L.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:55 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:55 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:25 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Motzei Shabbos, March 15:
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:55
* People who have not yet davened Maariv should make sure to say "Baruch Hamavdil Bein Kodesh Lechol" once Shabbos is over before changing into costumes or driving to shul. Havdalah is normally made after Megillah reading.
* Megillah 8:30 (Arcola, Univ. & Sephardi)
* Megillah (only) 8:30 – Youth/Family Celebration Followed by light refreshments. Kids, wear your best costumes and get a prize! (Arcola Social Hall)
* Megillah (only) 10:30 (Arcola) Purim Day, Sunday, March 16:
* Shacharis/Megillah 6:30, 7:30, 9:00 (Arcola) 7:30 (Sephardi), 8:00 (Univ.)
* Megillah (only) 11:00 (Arcola)
* Mincha 2:00, 5:30 (Both at Arcola)
* Maariv 9:00 (Arcola)
* Adina & Fred Friedman on the engagement of their daughter Laia to Raffi Abberbock, son of Dr. and Mrs. Gary Abberbock of Brooklyn, NY. Mazal Tov to all the siblings.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a great-granddaughter Menucha, born to Puah & Yehoshua Goldberger.
* Hannah Carl on the passing of her mother, Liza Abraham.The funeral took place on Tuesday. Shiva will be held through Monday.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Friday, March 14, at 7:00 in the Arcola Social Hall.
"Peace in the Home" 3-Part Community-Wide Lecture Series – The GWCK, in conjunction with SEHC, YISE, and WSAT, invites the community to the third lecture in the series, "Two Parts of a Whole: Self-Actualization and Marriage," presented by Rabbi Moshe Hauer, Monday, March 24, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary. Open to men and women. Admission is free.
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 26, Parshas Kedoshim. So far over 50% of the sections have already been claimed. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Pesach Hosting Opportunities – We are looking for members who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of hosting singles, couples or families at their Seder. Please contact email@example.com to add your name to the list.
Blood Drive in Memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky, A"H – Sunday, March 30, 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Make your lifesaving appointment today! Visit inova.org/donateblood and click on "Schedule a Donation," then click on "Donate Blood," and use Sponsor Code 8030, or contact Eli Landy at 301-681-0673, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Be a Part of the Global Good Deeds Day – Clean the parks – Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park and Sligo Creek Park on Sunday, April 6 anytime from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Sponsored by YISE, KMS, and MJBHA Chesed Committees. Meet at the KM Shopping Center Park by the steps to get gloves, trash bags, and a tee shirt (while supplies last). Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM inthe YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Business on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM – program will not meet this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
YISE and Beyond
End Purim with Ruach! The Rosenbaums invite anyone interested in ending off Purim with Ruach and song to their home, 11403 Cloverhill Drive, following the Purim Seudah, Sunday night, March 16, at 7:45 PM.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yehudah Mond Foundation, which assists individuals and families in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. Donate by calling 443- 539-1465, on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, or mailing to 812 Hyde Court.
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com
* Od Yosef Chai – YGW is collecting funds for the organization which will distribute Matanos L'Evyonim to the poor in Israel. They will distribute the funds on Purim day. Please contact Yonah Soskin (yonahsoskin@ gmail.com) if you would like to make a contribution.
The Thirteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, March 16 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room at 1121 University Blvd. W. ( University Towers). The shiur ends by 11:00.
Purim Morning Hour of Uninterrupted Learning – Men and boys join the Yeshiva on March 16, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Special incentives: Elementary school – father and son learning with prizes and pizza. Middle school – first 20 boys who sign up and join the Purim Shiur will receive a $15 gift card to Max's. High school and above (open to all adults) – first 50 who sign up will receive a minimum stipend of $20! Sign-up sheets on the Boys School bulletin board. Program at YGW Boys School. Contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Nursery Announcements
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – for 16 months and up, and their parents or care givers, with Morah Elise Schloss! Join us for: puppets and Parsha stories, singing and movement, Shabbos party, socialization, art experiences. Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through May 16. Register to email@example.com or 301 593-7365.
YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – a summer camp for preschool ages 2 to 5. Give your child a healthy, happy and joyful summer of discovery and learning through play and exploration. Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or contact 301-593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
YISE Nursery registration for school year 2014-2015 is open – A few spots in some age groups remain available. Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
YISE Nursery is in search of an outstanding lead teacher for next school year. A lead teacher at YISE Nursery is a role model in Torah observance who has a profound respect for children and their natural desire to explore the world. Five years experience, a degree in early childhood education, and familiarity with an emergent curriculum is preferred. Please apply for this position by sending a resume and cover letter to Lianne Heller, Director at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1 1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Bnei Akiva Silver Spring Snif this Shabbos, March 1 from 4:50 PM to 5:50 PM at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 4:20 PM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Demonstration Meeting – Wednesday, March 19 at 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Pirchei is coming! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to Pirchei! Pirchei will begin next Shabbos, Parshas Shemini, March 22, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM.
MJBHA PTO/Vaad Horim Annual Boutique – Sunday, March 23, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM in the MJBHA cafeteria. For more information, contact Tamar Teitelbaum at 301-593-7059 or email@example.com
Job Assist Events:
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 16 Purim Monday, March 17 Shushan Purim Tuesday, March 18 Wednesday, March 19 Thursday, March 20 Friday, March 21
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 9:00 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 2:00, 5:30 / 9:00 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:26 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:11 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
March 21-22, 2014 – 20 Adar II 5774
Parshas Shemini – Parshas Parah
Light Candles by 7:03 – Havdalah 8:02
* Light Candles by 7:03
* Mincha 7:05, 7:00 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:45 (Sephardi), 7:00 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:02
Wednesday, March 19 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Arcola Social Hall
Speaker will be Melody Alsheikhly,
Topic: Nutrition for Seniors
Thursday, March 20 First day of Spring
Shabbos, March 22 National Goof Off Day
Monday, March 24 Basic Colors, Arcola Social Hall
12:00 Noon to 6:00 PM
Monday, March 24 GWCK – R' Moshe Hauer's Lecture
Tuesday, March 25 Elzee's, Arcola Social Hall 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Wednesday, March 26 Make Up Your Own Holiday Day
Sunday, March 30 Blood Drive, YISE Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 19, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM