Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 27-28, 2015 – 8 Nissan 5775 – Parshas Tzav – Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:08 – Havdalah 8:08
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker
* Light Candles by 7:08
Arcola: 7:10, 7:00 Ruach University: 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:40 University: 6:20 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 6:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:08
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Liora & Micha Dahan in honor of the marriage of their daughter Maital to Bradley Legum.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:40 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:10 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Drasha after Mincha at Arcola.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of two great grandsons: Michoel Schwartz, to their grandchildren Malki & Moishe Schwartz, of Lakewood; and Naphtali Yechezkale Ryp, to their grandchildren Devora & Yaakov Ryp of Lakewood.
* Berel Dorfman and Michal Dorfman on the birth of a grandson. Parents are Elisheva & Yonatan Dorfman of New York City. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Sylvia & Julius Dorfman and to the entire family.
* Hannah Gershon on the marriage of her granddaughter, Yael, daughter of Martine & Dr. Raphael Gershon of Atlanta, to Jonathan Korman, son of Deborah Korman and the late Ira Korman of Skokie.
* Paul Goodnick on birth of a granddaughter, Esther Perel, born to Sarah & Yosef Dov Herskowitz of Lakewood, to sister, Zissie, and to grandmother, Miriam Rabinowitz Goodnick of North Miami Beach.
* Jacob Edeson who is recuperating in Holy Cross Hospital.
* Bernard Blitzstein, Rose Elbaum, and Anna Scher on the passing of their mother, Selma Blitzstein. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva will be observed at the Blitzstein home, 11507 Monticello Ave. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Mincha/Maariv: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 7:10. Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00; Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 7:30.
* The family of Dena Cohen. The funeral will take place on Sunday at Sol Levinson & Bros. in Baltimore. Burial will take place in Israel.
* Janet Gamson on the passing of her father, Jerry Gross. The funeral took place in Florida. Shiva will be observed in Florida.
* Rose Mitrani on the passing of her husband, Henry Mitrani. The funeral took place on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at the Lowenstein home, 12205 Somersworth Drive. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Mincha/Maariv: Motzei Shabbos (Maariv only): 8:08; Sunday, Monday: 7:10; Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00, Monday: 6:45, Tuesday: 7:00.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan this Week – Friday, March 27, at 7:00 in the Arcola Social Hall.While there is no formal children's program, all Daveners are warmly welcomed to join and bring in Shabbos with us.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "The Experience of the Jews in Egypt." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Dedicate a Window – YISE is raffling off the dedication of the two recently installed stained-glass windows. One ticket: $36. Three tickets: $100. Drawing at YISE on April 15. Tickets must be paid for by 5:00 PM on April 14. To order tickets, send an e-mail to email@example.com or send a check payable to YISE marked "Window raffle"or to pay by credit card, call Simi Franco in the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE: Shabbos, April 18: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yeshaya Steinberger: Ram at Yeshivat Hakotel.
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): Yom Haatzmaut – History, Halacha and Hashkafa – Kiddush follows.
* One hour before Mincha: Rav Ovadiah Yosef ZT"L: The Lithuanian Sephardi Gadol
* Between Mincha / Maariv: Rambam on Pirkei Avot: The Ultimate Principle of Faith – Trusting the Sinaitic Tradition
Annual Yom HaShoah Program – Sunday, April 19, 7:30 PM at YISE. Mr. Isaac Gendelman, who survived during the Holocaust in the woods near his town of Rokitno, Poland, will be the featured speaker. Mincha at 7:10 and Maariv to follow program.
The Fifth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 25, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. 71% of the sections have been claimed. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
How to Pray with Kavannah and Serve Hashem with Simcha – A luncheon and workshop at YISE. Sunday, May 17. More details to come. RSVP: email@example.com or 301-980-9557 with questions.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on April 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will meet on Tuesday and then resume on April 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medras – will resume on April 15.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on April 15.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM- will resume on April 19.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org – will resume on April 14.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow – will resume on April 14.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will resume on April 15.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall – will resume on April 16.
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
Please remember to clean out your Talis box before Pesach.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times this coming week:
* Sunday, March 29: After the 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim.
* Monday, March 30: After Mincha/Maariv
* Tuesday, March 31: After 6:55 Shacharis
* Wednesday, April 1: 9:00 PM, Social Hall
* Friday, April 3: Following the Siyumim
Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum, 301-593-4465 ext 405, to make arrangements to sell your Chometz.
Seder is the Hebrew Word for Order – Return the order and peace of mind to your Passover experience, learn the deeper meaning of the Seder ritual, and conduct a more meaningful Seder. How much is a Kazayit? What is a Reviit? Join this hands-on model Pesach Seder as we go through the steps from the first cup of wine until the last. Sunday March 29, 8:30 PM, Rabbi Levy's house, 609 Hyde Rd.
Hachnosas Orchim – Persons looking for a Seder or looking for guests for their Seder should contact email@example.com to add your name to the list.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation – Donate on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, or mail to 812 Hyde Court. Please mark your checks for, "Maos Chitim."
Food Drive Meets Soaring Need – Our annual Food Drive goes through March 30, benefiting over 500,000 people in our region struggling with hunger. Your donations, which go to the Capital Area Food Bank, also help Jewish individuals and families in our communities to fill their pantries through the Yehuda Mond Foundation, an authorized distributor of the Food Bank. YISE is taking part, along with many other synagogues in the area, and organizations such as our day schools, community centers, and apartment complexes. Please bring unopened and non-perishable cans and boxes of food to the container outside the Social Hall.
Need Your Car Cleaned for Pesach? Sunday, March 29, 12:15 PM – 6:00 PM, at the Boys Yeshiva, 1216 Arcola Ave., For pricing and more information please contact 443-852-7524.
Rabbi Benjamin / Beinish Ginsburg's handcover Haggadah is available at Elli-Chai's Bookstore.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
There will not be groups the first days of Pesach.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. This week is sponsored by Carol & Tuvia Lazar. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – will meet next on Wednesday, April 15, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall.
Shomrim Needed – Paid Shomrim needed to serve in local funeral homes. Please call Howard Katz 301-933-3033.
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Mary Murphy at 301-962-0820.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 29 Monday, March 30 Tuesday, March 31 Wednesday, April 1 Thursday, April 2 Friday, April 3 – Erev Pesach
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:40, 7:35
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:25, 7:15
Arcola 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:05 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:00 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
Next Weekend – Pesach
April 3-5, 2015 – 15-16 Nissan 5775
Light Candles by 7:15
* Finish eating chometz by 10:37 AM
* Recite Kol Chamira by 11:54 AM
* Light Candles by 7:15
Arcola: 7:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:15
* Seder starts after 8:14
Shabbos, April 18 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yeshaya Steinberger
Sunday, April 19 Annual Yom HaShoah Program
Shabbos, April 25 Fifth Annual Siyum Tanach
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 1 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-12:00 Noon
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director