The Shabbos Shorts is formatted for legal size paper (8-1/2" x 14"). If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you should print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or a similar setting.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Gadols
March 23 – 24, 2018 – 8 Nissan 5778 – Parshas Tzav, Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:05 – Havdalah 8:04
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Torchinsky Hebrew Funeral Home in appreciation of the five men who helped make a minyan for a stranger's funeral on Purim.
* Debra & Daniel Drang on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Yosef. Mazal Tov to grandparents Janette & Jerry Rapp, Diane Edelson, Rochelle & Bernie Drang, sister Malka and brother Ezra.
* Light Candles by 7:05
Ashkenazi: 7:05 Ruach: 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:35 Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:04
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Debra & Daniel Drang in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Yosef.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum- Shabbos HaGadol Drasha after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume April 15.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash will resume April 10. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume April 11.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume April 11.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM will resume April 15.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM will resume after Pesach.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall will resume after Pesach.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE will resume April 16. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Friday night, March 23, in the Large Social Hall at 7:00 sharp. So bring the entire family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shmurah Matzah -Pickup at YISE, Sunday, March 25, 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM and Monday, March 26, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM & 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Contact the YISE office if you have any questions about your order.
Mechiras Chometz – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for Mechiras Chometz at the following locations & times this week:
* Sunday, March 25 – after 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim
* Sunday, March 25 – after Mincha/Maariv
* Tuesday, March 27 – after 6:55 Shacharis
* Wednesday, March 28 – 8:30 PM, Social Hall
* Friday, March 30 – following morning Siyumim
Shul members should feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum at 301- 593-4465, ext. 405 to make alternative arrangements if none of the above days and times are convenient.
Pre-Pesach Food Drive – Annual Pre-Pesach Food Drive (Chometz Begone), now in its 16th year, runs through Monday, March 26. Donations go to the Capital Kosher Pantry, which serves hundreds of Jewish individuals and families in our communities. Please bring unopened and non-perishable cans and boxes of food to designated containers in the area, including the YISE Arcola Lower Lobby. Every little bit helps!
Talis Boxes – Remember to check/clean your Talis box before Pesach.
Pesach Hospitality – Once again it is our privilege to help bring people together for Sedarim and Yom Tov Seudos. We are recruiting both guests and hosts to participate in our YISE Hospitality program. Please sign up as a guest or host by contacting email@example.com or feel free to speak with Isaac Moses or Todd Friedman.
Chometz Dumpster – There will be a Dumpster for disposal of Chometz at YISE on Wednesday, March 28, and Thursday, March 29. Please use this ONLY for Chometz trash and not for any other items. The Dumpster is co-sponsored by YISE and KMS. If the Dumpster is full, do not leave trash outside the Dumpster. Do not park in the driveway after Tuesday, March 27.
Community Chometz Burning – Erev Pesach, Friday March 30, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM at KMS. Please bring only Chometz wrapped in paper bags or napkins. Aluminum foil/plastic wrapping/rubber will NOT be allowed in the fire. Montgomery County Firefighters and Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad will be there with a fire truck and ambulance. Fire safety materials will be distributed.
Making Tough Medical Decisions. Make more confident health decisions by learning what you need to know from your health practitioner to assess risks and benefits. Learn what halacha says about "elective" and high-stakes procedures. Listen to dialogue between Dr. Theo Heller, experienced gastroenterologist and researcher, and Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman, a specialist in Jewish law and senior lecturer with Greater Washington Community Kollel. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, GWCK, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, & Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, April 22, 10:45 AM – 12:15 PM, in the YISE Small Social Hall.
Save the date! Sunday, June 10
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Miriam & Steven Friedman.
Community Service Award: Carol & Tuvia Lazar.
Youth Honorees: Edan Friedman, Talya Miller & Noach Solomson.
We look forward to seeing you there!
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby/Boys meet outside the Social Hall
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Groups will NOT meet on the 1st 2 days of Pesach.
Family Laser Tag – Wednesday April 4 (Chol Hamoed) 2:00 PM at Shadowland, 624 Quince Orchard Rd., Gaithersburg, MD. $12.50 per game for 2 games. RSVP by Monday, March 26 to firstname.lastname@example.org Space is limited to 80 participants.
Lag Ba'Omer Climbing & Bonfire – Thursday May 3, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM at The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring. $34 per person. RSVP to email@example.com with names & birth dates and pay YISE by check by Wednesday, April 18.
Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program featuring Magda Weisz Rosenbaum. Sunday, April 15, 7:30 PM at KMS. Mincha at 7:10 PM, Maariv after the program. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy and Yeshiva of Greater Washington. Sign language interpreter available, sponsored by Sulam, Inc. If interested, please notify Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, March 29
Global Good Deeds Day – Sunday, April 29: Do a mitzvah! Join in a park cleanup, any time between 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM! Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Good Deeds Day 2018 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; our Park Cleanup project is organized by YISE, KMS, and Berman Hebrew Academy in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Register at www.shalomdc.org/parkcleanupgdd2018 or just show up. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, contact: Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! 7-week program Monday, June 25th – Friday, August 10th. Preschool 2-year-old through Kindergarten 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at Shomrai Preschool NEW THIS YEAR boys & girls entering 1st through 6th grade 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM at YGW Girls High School with Rabbi Moshe Mittelman and Mrs. Esther Leigh. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
The Eighth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will take place on Shabbos Tazria-Metzora, April 21.
About 60% of the sections of Tanach have been claimed. We need YOUR help to finish the rest. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or call Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
YISE Facility Updates
Painting and other renovation work is being done in the Belonofsky Sanctuary and lobby this week. Details including Minyan moves will be sent via email and posted at Shul.
* The toddler room next to the lower lobby is closed this Shabbos.
* When using the Keilim Mikvah, please take all the packaging materials that came with your items with you.
* When you are learning in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, Social Hall or Beis Medrash, last one out please turn off the lights
There will be a Siyum after each Shacharis Minyan.
Chometz may be eaten until 10:40 AM.
Burning/disposal of Chometz and Kol Chamira before 11:56 AM.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730. Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road. The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – People who would like Rabbi Rosenbaum to distribute Tzedakah for Pesach on their behalf can give cash or checks made out to YISE Charity Fund to him (also at Mechiras Chometz) or drop off at the YISE office. Please do not mail donations.
* The Franco Foundation continues to assist those in need. Donations will be distributed before and during Pesach. Send your tax-deductible donation c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington which assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, click on the Maos Chitim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
"On The Same Page" – a community-wide learning project! Join the movement and study an Amud (Page) of Gemara each week with others across the community! Learning options that fit YOUR lifestyle: weekly classes in a location near you, weekly audio/video lectures and illuminating insights on the Amud delivered directly into your inbox, and more! Beginning Maseches Rosh Hashana Sunday, April 15. For more information or to register visit gwckollel.org/onthesamepage
Women's Communal Haggadah Learning – 4:00 PM on Shabbos HaGadol at the home of Ted and Nechama Goodman, 714 South Belgrade Road. All women are welcome. Various women are preparing vortlach (small Divrei Torah) on the 15 sections of the Haggadah.
Free 50+ Employment Expo – Monday, April 16, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, at the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center. For more information, go to https://www.accessjca.org/programs/employment-expos/
Rabbi Marvin Goldman¡¦s Shiur at University Towers – will resume after Pesach.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 11, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at email@example.com for more information.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive -MJBHA will be sponsoring the annual hair donation drive on Thursday, May 3, Lag Ba¡¦omer, at Style Salon and again the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, May 22, at Progressions Salon. All cuts are free and each donor receives a special gift from the coordinator and a certificate from Zichron Menachem. To sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "hair" in the Subject line. Nancy Mehlman will contact you to set up an appointment on your preferred day and time.
The Week Ahead
Sunday March 25 Monday March 26 Tuesday March 27 Wednesday March 28 Thursday March 29 Friday, March 30 – Erev Pesach
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:40, 7:35
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:10 6:10 6:00 6:35
Ashkenazi 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:11 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:03 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
March 30 – 31, 2018 – 15 Nissan 5778 – Pesach
Complete schedule next week and in the HaShomer.
Light Candles by 7:11 – Havdalah 8:13
* Light Candles by 7:11
* Mincha: 7:15
* Seder starts after 8:10
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:45 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:10 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:12
Shabbos, March 24 Bar Mitzvah of Yosef Drang, 8:45 Main Minyan
Sunday, March 25 Matzah Pickup, 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM
Monday, March 26 Matzah Pickup, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM and 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Sunday, April 15 Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program, 7:30 PM, KMS
Sunday, April 22 Making Tough Medical Decisions, 10:45 AM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 28 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager