Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 25-26, 2016 – 16 Adar 2 5776 – Parshas Tzav
Light Candles by 7:07 (and not before 6:08) – Havdalah 8:07
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Hannah Gershon on the birth of a great-grandson, Petachya Yagel, born to Miriam & Eitan Kupietzky and his siblings Lavi, Benaya, Akiva and Choni, of Beit Shemesh, Israel.
* Light Candles by 7:07, and not before 6:08
Arcola: 6:30, 7:10 University: 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 University: 7:05 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:07
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Shoftim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Elli & Chaim Pauli, Rikki & Yitzy Schreiber
NEXT SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Next week, Friday, April 1, at 7:15 in the Arcola Social Hall. Though there is no formal children's program, all are welcome to join and bring in Shabbos with us. If you have any questions or would like further information, email email@example.com
Be Part of Global Good Deeds Day – Join us in a park cleanup on Sunday, April 10 anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00PM. Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by the parking lot near Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Contact Miriam Friedman at mfriedman2@yahoo. com for more information. Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome: www.yise.org/park Organized by YISE, KMS, BHA, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks.
Nominations Sought – The YISE nominating committee has been appointed and is soliciting names of members in good standing who would be willing to serve for trustee and officer positions. Please send recommendations, self-nominations or questions to committee chair Stuart Rosenthal at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 4.
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2016-2017 is now OPEN! Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301-593-7365 or email email@example.com for inquiries.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L – The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. As of Purim, 43% of sections have been claimed – there's less than 8 weeks to go. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Important Announcement Regarding Maryland Primary Voting – This year's primary is on Chol Hamoed Pesach. We have contested races for president, U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, and your vote is important. For those who will be away (or just too busy) during the holiday, early voting is available from April 14 through April 21. Absentee ballots are also available. For more information on hours and locations, see http://www.elections.state.md.us/voting/early_voting.html.
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, Sunday April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, April 3
Honoree: Barbara Price
Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld
Youth Honorees: Shani Breitstein, Jessie Franco and Ahuva Wakschlag
RSVP using the card or contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.yise.org/banquet
The reservation deadline has been extended!
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Kiddush Club.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Department is pleased to announce that we will be offering early care for groups for ages 2-5!!! Drop off your children in the Groups Room behind the women's balcony starting at 9:30 AM. Regular programming will run from 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please note that the times and locations for 1st-4th grade groups remains unchanged. In order to assess demand, we will offer early care as a pilot for the weeks of 3/26 and 4/2. At the end of this time, we will determine whether there is enough demand to continue this program. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Second Annual Lag Ba'Omer Event at the Adventure Park at Sandy Spring – Join YISE Youth on Thursday, May 26 from 5:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Whether you went last year and want to do it again, or if this is your first time, don't miss out on this opportunity to register for a great experience! Cost is $36 per person. Children 5-6 years old are free with a paying adult (1:1). All checks must be submitted to the Shul office by April 24. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, March 26, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 4:00 PM.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 30, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Self-Defense in Jewish Law – Join the GWCK at Morgan Lewis for a Lunch and Learn on Monday, March 28 at 12:00 Noon. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org
Internet Safety – A Special Presentation by Sergeant Kenneth Sanger, MCDP – SVID/Exploitation & Registry Section For Parents of the Community. Wednesday, March 30, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM. YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Girls Campus. For more information contact Rabbi Scott Hillman at email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1553
The Desk – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson Upper School HADAS. Thursday, March 31, 7:00 PM, BHA Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. Tickets: $7.00 adults, $5.00 students/seniors. Be an angel and support our play. If you would like to support HADAS and our play, contact Eliana Elikan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim Of Greater Washington Annual Pre-Pesach Boutique – Sunday, April 10, at KMS, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Featuring: hats, shells, skirts, modest work-out clothes, modest bathing suits, girls and ladies hair accessories, kippot, tzitzit, kosher for Pesach skin care, make-up, and Shabbos make-up, more. Raffles, refreshments.
Good Deeds Day (GDD) – April 10, BCGW is building a vegetable garden at the Bernard Creeger Bikur Cholim House in Bethesda and we need help! No special skills are required to help; just a willingness to get a little dirty. Registration for GDD is at gooddeedsdaygw.org (shalomdc.org) or call 888-246-1818.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Job Search – Cracking the Code – Free webinar. Thursday, March 31, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Info and register at www. federaljobresults.com/events.htm
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 27 Monday, March 28 Tuesday, March 29 Wednesday, March 30 Thursday, March 31 Friday, April 1
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:07 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:01 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
April 1-2, 2016 – 23 Adar 2 5776
Parshas Shemini / Parshas Parah
Light Candles by 7:14 – Havdalah 8:14
* Light Candles by 7:14, and not before 6:14
Arcola: 6:30, 7:15, Ruach University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 University: 7:10 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:14
Monday, March 28 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon – 6:30 PM
Friday, April 1 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 7:15
Sunday, April 3 YISE Annual Banquet
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 30 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director