Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 22 – 23, 2019 – 16 Adar II 5779 – Parshas Tzav
Light Candles by 7:03 – Havdalah 8:03
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Harriet & Elliot Jacob on the birth of a grandson, Moshe Meir, born to Loni & Hillel Goldman.
* Pearl Bassan on the passing of her brother, Chaim Spring. The funeral took place in Israel. Pearl is observing Shiva at her home, 11611 Fulham St., through Tuesday morning. Visitors are requested between 9:00 AM and 9:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 7:03
Ashkenazi: 7:05 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Shabbos Ends: 8:03
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Yekhiel and Miriam Weill on the Yahrtzeit of Yekhiel's father, Rabbi Avigdor ben Eliezer Chanoch Z"L (Victor Weill, Z"L).
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Melanie & Sandy Karlin in commemoration of the second Yahrtzeit of Sandy's father, Charles Karlin (Betzalel Reuven ben Rephael Shlomo) and in honor of the birth of their grandson, Betzalel Moshe, son of Sarah & Matthew Karlin.
* 9:15 Minyan – anonymous in honor of all the people who make the 9:15 Minyan happen.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dispelling Myths Regarding Autism – Sunday, March 24, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Small Social Hall. Recognize the signs and symptoms of ASD and how it is diagnosed. Learn how schools seek to maximize quality of life and independence of students. Hear from a parent about the experience of raising a child with autism. Hear from a successful professional who is open about his autism. Glean some Jewish insights on all disabilities. Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, Sulam and YISE. Co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum on Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall, "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living". Open to the entire community. See flyer for details. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, April 1, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Save the Date: Sunday, May 12th, 2019
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Susan and Abe Zwany
Young Leadership Award: Elise and Ken Saks
Youth Award: Dovy Brodkin
HaKarat HaTov Award to Yvette Epstein
Special Tribute to: Officer Eli Dunham and Officer Justin Haire
Global Good Deeds Day Park Cleanup – Sunday, April 7, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Shopping Center. Bags, gloves and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect. Park cleanup organized by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy, Berman PTO, NCSY, Chabad of Silver Spring, and Ben Yehuda Pizza with Montgomery Parks. For more info, contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org All volunteers will receive 10% off at Ben Yehuda Pizza on April 7.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Learning in Memory of Rabbi Anemer
In commemoration of his ninth Yahrzeit, Rabbi Rosenbaum and the YISE Adult Education Committee invite the community to learn L'zecher Nishmas Rav Anemer, ZT"L. All are welcome to participate in the Shul's new seven week learning program that will culminate in the Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L on Shabbos Acharei Mos, May 4.
Over seven weeks, we will learn a Perek (chapter) a week of Hilchos Talmud Torah of the Rambam's Mishnah Torah. In addition to independent learning, each Sunday the Shul will send out an article from Rabbi Rosenbaum or Rabbi Silver on a topic discussed in that week's Perek. Links to the weekly learning and articles are available at: https://wp.yise.org/rabbi-anemer-learning
Please feel free to contact Bob Levi at email@example.com with any questions.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in
the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Youth Family Ice Skating – April 7, 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM, Wheaton Ice Arena, 1171 Orebaugh Ave., $10 per person including skates.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman¡¦s Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, March 23, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 5:00 PM
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road.
The Good Book is the annual Orthodox Jewish directory published by Dr. Bert and Rachelle Miller in Greater Washington since 1995. They mail the 240-page book for free to all interested Orthodox-affiliated households. Interested households should email their new or updated listing information to firstname.lastname@example.org The Millers thank you in advance for your participation. Deadline: Tuesday, March 26. Listing may include name, address, home phone number, profession, email address and cell phone number.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Spring Open House – Wednesday, March 27, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Light refreshments. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Sulam Presents: Nourishing Your Child: Tips for helping your child develop a healthy relationship with food, avoiding power struggles, overcoming picky eating, and enjoying a healthy lifestyle supported by good eating habits. A workshop by Ms. Rachel Engelhart, Registered Dietitian and Licensed Professional Counselor. Wednesday March 27, 8:00 PM at the home of the Fine family, 707 Stonington Rd. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or learn more at www.sulam.org/events
Join The Golden Network's Caregiver Support Group's first session on Sunday, March 31, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM at Kemp Mill Synagogue. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or if you plan to attend please contact: Mrs. Hedy Peyser, MSW, email@example.com Mrs. Esther Dziadek firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Shmuel Leigh 301-732-1773 / email@example.com
Lone Soldiers Program – Nefesh B¡¦Nefesh and the FIDF invites parents of current and future lone soldiers to an evening of sharing, bonding, and information on Monday, April 1, at 7:30 PM in Rockville, MD. The program will be divided into 3 parts:
* Meet & Greet: a chance to meet parents of current and future chayalim
* Presentation: Rights and Benefits of Lone Soldiers and What to Expect as a Lone Soldier Parent
* Discussion: Future Chayalim_, the process, new vocabulary, and tips for and from parents
For more information and to RSVP, please contact Leo Loeffler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-Pesach Boutique – Sunday, April 7, 10:00 AM ¡V 4:00 PM at KMS. Clothing, hats, makeup, cookware, bakeware, kitchen tools, serving accessories, jewelry and more! A percentage of all sales will benefit Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. For more information, contact Rhonda Lehman at 301-351-1725 or email@example.com
Linda Kahan, A"H, Memorial Lecture and Breakfast – Join Sulam on Sunday, April 7 at 10:00 AM in the Berman Hebrew Academy Cafeteria. Lecture topic will be "Translating the Bible", presented by Adele Berlin, Professor Emerita of Biblical Studies at the Univ. of MD. $36 couvert. Sponsorships available. RSVP: www.sulam.org/events or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Q – Join Greater Washington NCSY Cheryl Stern Memorial Scholarship Fund on Sunday, April 7, 7:00 PM at B¡¦nai Israel Congregation, 6301 Montrose Rd., Rockville, MD, to celebrate and support the teens of Greater Washington NCSY! "The Q" is an interactive multimedia, team based trivia game. Please RSVP today at atsncsy.org/theq or by calling 410-358-6279 or by emailing email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd. Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday March 24 Monday March 25 Tuesday March 26 Wednesday March 27 Thursday March 28 Friday March 29
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:14 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:04 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
March 29 – 30, 2019 – 23 Adar II 5779
Parshas Shemini/Parah/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:10 – Havdalah 8:10
* Light Candles by 7:10
Ashkenazi: 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:10
Sunday, March 24 Autism Program, 10:30 AM
Sunday, March 24 Raising a Jewish Child, 8:00 PM
Monday, April 1 The Man With The Truck, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Sunday, April 7 Park Cleanup, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 27 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager