Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 9 – 10, 2018 – 2 Kislev 5779 – Parshas Toldos
Light Candles by 4:41 – Havdalah 5:40
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of the birthday of our favorite doorstopper!
* Marion & Fred Miller on the engagement of their daughter, Adena, to Benjamin Avidon of Ft. Lauderdale. Mazal Tov to Ben's parents, Stacey & Jonathan Avidon, and to the grandparents and siblings.
* Elliot Jacob on the passing of his father, Max Jacob. The funeral took place in Baltimore on Thursday. Shiva is being observed at 6820 Cherokee Drive., Baltimore, MD 21209, through Wednesday. Shacharis: Sunday 8:00 AM, Monday through Wednesday 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Tuesday: 4:40 PM.
* Debbie Rogal on the passing of her mother, Barbara Rogal. The funeral took place on Sunday in Pittsburgh.
* Light Candles by 4:41
Ashkenazi: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:40 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Shabbos Ends: 5:40
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Yitz Stokes in honor of the first Yahrzeit of his wife, Ruth Rochel Stokes, Z"L.
* Sephardi Minyan – Gillian & Asher Weinberg in honor of all their friends in the Sephardi Minyan.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Matt & Lisa Solomson and family in honor of all the regular organizers and participants of the 9:15 Minyan.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur, cancelled until further notice.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will take place this week in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Blood Drive – Thank you to the donors of 40 units of blood at Sunday's Community Blood Drive in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky, Dr. Clif Price, & Mrs. Beverly Brinn. The blood will help up to 120 patients. Thank you to everyone who helped and to KMS for hosting the blood drive.
Trivia Night – YISE Social Committee presents Trivia Night, Motzei Shabbos, November 10, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. $5 per person. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org Groups of 6 to 8 people can be formed ahead of time or at the event.
Making Shidduchim: Everyone Has A Role – presentation by Rabbi Moshe Hauer on Sunday, November 11, at 8:00 PM at Ohr HaTorah. Open to all men & women of the community. Part of the Greater Washington Shidduch Initiative and sponsored by local shuls: Young Israel of Potomac, Ezras Israel, KMS, WSAT, SEHC, YISE, OHT, and OSTT. For more info. contact Estee Silver at EsteeSilver13@gmail.com or Sarah Weiss at 301-233-1208.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss's Jewish History class has been postponed and will not take place on Monday, November 12. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Ruach Minyan – Next Shabbos, November 16, 4:35 PM sharp in the Large Social Hall. Yes, there will be a special children's story program during part of the davening in the Small Social Hall. So bring the entire family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! Dor L'dor starts on Motzei Shabbos, November 17 at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall! This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Teanna & Yonah Mainzer in memory of Teanna's uncle, Matthew Goodman. For people who would like their child to participate in Dor L'Dor but are not available to learn with him / her, we will try to match your child with an available volunteer adult, upon advance request (usually by 10:00 AM on the preceding Friday). However, parents accepting this offer are responsible for getting their child to and from the program. For further information, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org The program will be held in the YISE Arcola Social Hall and is open to the entire community! Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes!
A Deep Dive Into Hallel – With Chanukah approaching, it's a good time to think about Hallel and how we can sing its praises with more Kavanah. Ms. Sharon Freundel will teach this three-part Shiur – focusing on Hallel's structure, language and meaning. Sunday, November 18 & December 2, 10:30 AM, and Sunday, December 9, 2:30 PM, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. For men & women. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more info., contact email@example.com
Tech Cafe – One-on-one technology tutoring by teens. Learn to use your smartphone, tablet, email, Facebook, photos, video chat & more! Bring a charged device and we'll give you free advice. Sunday, December 16, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM in the Social Hall. Sign up at www.yise.org/techcafe For more info., contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Stacey Relkin Winkler at email@example.com Co-sponsored by YISE and KMS with Tech Cafe.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT take place this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Thank you to everyone who volunteered to drive a member back and forth from the Hebrew Home in Rockville. We greatly appreciate your help. Note that rides are still needed so please continue to sign up at: www.yise.org/rides
If you have any questions, please contact Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org or Melanie Karlin – email@example.com
Programs and Listings
Condolences to Harvey Belitsky and family on the passing of Helen Belitsky. Shiva is being observed in New Jersey through Monday morning, and the family may be reached at 609-932-4938.
Bnei Akiva Snif – This Shabbos, November 10, from 3:15 PM – 4:30 PM at KMS. Walking groups leave YISE at 2:55 PM and return at 4:50 PM.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 10, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 3:30 PM.
Bethesda Mincha Minyan – There is a daily Mincha Minyan at 1:15 PM at 7910 Woodmont Ave., Suite 870, in Bethesda. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the daily email sent for this Minyan.
Kumzits – Join KMS and Old School Jewish Music for a spirited Kumzits in honor of Rosh Chodesh Kislev on Motzei Shabbos, November 10 at 8:00 PM in the KMS lower lobby. Bring your instruments (if you play) and your voices, and be ready to sing your heart out! This event is open to men and women. Light refreshments will be served. Please RSVP email@example.com
Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning on "Kibud Av v'Em – Divine Commandment or Basic Decency?" Sunday, November 11, 8:00 AM in the Foxman Bais Medrash, YGW Boys Campus. The Yom Iyun is sponsored by the Glogower family and dedicated L'ilui Nishmas Janet Glogower. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:50 AM breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from area Shuls: Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Rabbi Binyamin Silver, Rabbi Eliezer Kreiser, Rabbi Michoel Frank, Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rabbi Yaakov Greiniman, Rabbi Yehoshua Levy, Rabbi Ofer Levi, Rabbi Berel Wolvovsky and Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky. 11:45 AM Shiur – Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel 12:25 PM Closing Remarks – Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva, 12:45 PM Mincha. To RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Koidenover Rebbe – Monday, November 12 at the home of Dr. Nick Muzin, 800 Stonington Rd. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM, followed by an uplifting Kumzits at 8:00 PM. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more information, please contact R Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or email email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 14, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Civilian Response to Active Shooter Event Course – Learn how to protect yourself and safely survive a life threatening situation. Join FBI Special Agent Michael Copeland for a free course on Sunday, November 18 at 12 noon. Event details at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/protectyourself- tickets-52275376057
Greater Washington Community Kollel Dinner – Join us as we Celebrate 10 Years of Impact and 4 Extraordinary Honorees – Rebbetzin Rivka Winter Rothenberg, Judah Lifschitz, and Daniel & Ilana Ratner! Sunday, November 18, 5:30 PM at Beth Sholom Congregation in Potomac. Go to www.GWCK10Years.org for more information.
Pre-Chanukah Celebration at Arcola Rehab – The Berman PTO and KMS invite you to the Arcola Rehab, 901 Arcola Ave., on Tuesday, November 27, from 6:00PM – 6:30 PM for a pre-Chanukah musical celebration with the residents. All ages are welcome and Upper School students can earn community service hours. If you would like to bring an instrument, we'll be singing and playing: I have a little Dreidel, Oh Chanukah, Sevivon, Maoz Tzur, and Al Hanissim. To sign up (optional) or for more info., please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM..
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute presents "Mitzvah, Minhag, or Myth? Understanding the Meaning Behind What We Do." A weekly Shiur for women and post-seminary girls by Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Mondays at 8:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive in White Oak.For more information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Kemp Mill Village Rides – The Gift of a Lift – We now have 14 drivers signed up for the Kemp Mill Village Rides program. Come join them and help your neighbors so we can provide a responsive service for Kemp Mill residents. We anticipate offering service starting January 1, with a group of trained, insured, background-checked, drivers. We are also seeking a volunteer bookkeeper and an attorney (pro bono) who can each provide a very limited amount of time to our Village. Call Alan Breitler at 301-649-5031 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to participate in this important project!
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Nov. 11 – Veterans Day Monday November 12 Tuesday November 13 Wednesday November 14 Thursday November 15 Friday November 16
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45,7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:40 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:58 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:19 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:23 PM
November 16 – 17, 2018 – 9 Kislev 5779
Light Candles by 4:35 – Havdalah 5:35
* Light Candles by 4:35
Ashkenazi: 4:35, Ruach 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:35
Saturday, November 10 Trivia Night, 8:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 11 Veterans Day Dining Out, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Friday, November 16 Ruach Minyan, 4:35 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 17 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 18 A Deep Dive Into Hallel, Part 1 of 3, 10:30 AM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 14 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager