Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 21-22, 2014 – 29 Cheshvan 5775 – Parshas Toldos – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:32 – Havdalah 5:33
Mazal Tov to Young Israel Shomrai Emunah on its 63rd birthday this week, Shabbos Toldos!
* Light Candles by 4:32
Arcola: 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:33
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Rachelli & Craig Simon in honor of Craig's mother, Maxine Simon, and by Nancy & Bruce James to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Nancy's father, William Baum.
* 8:00 Minyan – Iris & Adam Bashein in honor of their 10th wedding anniversary.
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rosalyn & Arnold Bramson on the marriage of their grandson Judah Spector to Tali Brody.
* Leah & Jonathan Bresler and Hannah & Dr. Mitch Carl on the birth of a grandson, Hayim Nachum, born to Elisheva & Binyamin Carl of Olney. Mazal Tov to the whole Mishpacha.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the birth of a great-grandson, Yitzchak Hillel Weiser, born to Aviva & Matt Weiser of NY. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents, Shari & Rabbi Stuart Klammer of NY.
* Fay Kasser on the birth of a grandson, Yisroel David, born to her children Shira & Moshe Kasser, of Rechovot, Israel. Mazal Tov to big brother Avi and big sisters Ayelet and Shoshana.
* Marion & Bernie Muller on the birth of a granddaughter, Gefen Hodaya, born to Tova & Rafi Muller of Migdal Haemek, Israel. Mazal Tov to the extended Muller and Sackett families.
* Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum on the birth of a daughter, Rachel. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Sarah & Emil Braun and Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum, and to the big brothers, Yosef, Gedaliah and Moshe.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the marriage of their grandson Benjy Spiro, son of Helen & Joseph Spiro of Teaneck, to Leah Lousky, daughter of Debra & Haim Lousky of Calabasas, CA.
* Helene Zeltser and family on the upcoming marriage of her son, Daniel, to Brittany Staub, daughter of Lynn & Dr. Jay Staub of Dallas.
* Jed Linfield on the passing of his mother, Esther Linfield. The funeral took place on Tuesday in Pinelawn, NY. Shiva will be observed through Monday morning in New York.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, November 22, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by an anonymous (and awesome) sponsor. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on November 24 with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Laws of Shemittah." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
We are updating the Cholim List – Anyone who would like to have a Choleh on the new list must contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465, ext. 402, or firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, November 26.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, December 1, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Building Bridges: Who Are We and Who Are They? – The GWCK, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a special lecture by Rabbi Motty Berger of Aish HaTorah. He will be speaking on the topic of "How we Can all get Involved in Reaching Out." Monday, December 8, 7:30 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary. Admission is free.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Monday through Friday from 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Chaim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Beis Medrash.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 10:30 AM, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Negotiating Male/Female Relationships Outside Marriage – How to build the appropriate boundaries with opposite gender acquaintances and co-workers. The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proud to present Mrs. Gila Manolson, author of The Magic Touch. Sunday, November 23 at 8:00 PM at SEHC. For women only. Admission $10. For more information contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Toastmasters' Meeting – will meet next on Wednesday, Decmeber 3.
Reclaiming Mikvah: A Woman's Most Sacred Space – Mikvah Emunah Society and Chabad of Silver Spring present: An Evening of Empowerment & Inspiration for Women. Featured Speaker: Mrs. Rivkah Slonim. December 7, 7:30 PM, Silver Spring Civic Center, (Complimentary parking in garage across Ellsworth drive.) Sponsorship opportunities are available. Dessert buffet. Free of charge. RSVP appreciated: email@example.com or 301-593-1117. Co-sponsored by YISE and KMS.
Berman Hebrew Academy Senior Class Leaf Raking – If you need someone to rake your leaves, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Prices start at around $60+.
Sunflower Bakery is a local nonprofit organization that trains adults with disabilities for work in the baking industry. We are also Kosher Pareve under the supervision of the Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington. Visit us at www.sunflowerbakery.org to learn more about our programs and our yummy baked goods. You can place your order online and pick up on Thursday evenings at The Candy Man in Kemp Mill. For Thanksgiving there will be a special pickup at The Candy Man on Wednesday, November 26, 3:00 PM – 5:30 PM
Gevaldig Concert Benefiting the Camp Gevaldig Scholarship Fund – Motzei Shabbos, December 13, 8:15 PM at SEHC featuring Yisroel Juskowitz with a band by Yehoshua Sheininger, Chaim Fruchter, and Yehoshua Mendlowitz.
Professional Clothing and Coat Drive – Do you have items that are in good condition but could use a new home? Donate today. Contact Adam Bashein for more information: email@example.com
Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) Annual Appeal
The Eruv's annual appeal is in progress. To cover the cost of recent repairs and keep the Eruv functioning, we need your contributions. The suggested annual contribution is $54 per household. The Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) is not (yet) a 501(c)(3) organization. For your donation to be tax-deductible, make your check payable to: YISE Eruv Fund. Please mail your check to: SSEA, 11113 Lombardy Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901. Please do not mail your check to the shul and please do not donate on-line. Questions? SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
Community Programs and Listings (cont.)
Job Assist Events:
* Resumes, Interviewing, and Federal Jobs – Free classes for Montgomery County residents. Info and register at montgomeryworks.org/calendar.asp
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Nov. 23 – Rosh Chodesh Monday, November 24 Tuesday, November 25 Wednesday, November 26 Thursday, Nov. 27 – Thanksgiving Friday, November 28
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 7:15 7:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:10 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:27 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:27 PM
November 28-29, 2014 – 7 Kislev 5775
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:30
* Light Candles by 4:28
Arcola: 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:25 University: 4:25 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:30
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 22 Dor L'Dor, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, November 29 Shalosh Seudos sponsored by Laurie & Stuart Cohen in gratitude for the Tefilos and warm wishes from the community while Stuart was recovering.
Wednesday, December 3 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall, 12:00 Noon – Dr. Gilda Haber will speak on "The Diary of the Mad Hatter Stories"
Friday, December 5 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, December 10 YISE Board Meeting, 7:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 26 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Wednesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Closed Thursday, Friday 9:00 AM -1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director