Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 17-18, 2017 – 29 Cheshvan 5778 – Parshas Toldos – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:34 – Havdalah 5:35
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Janet Rottenberg in gratitude to Rabbi Rosenbaum and all the members of YISE for their incredible kindness (cards, calls, e-mails etc.) during her recent Shiva for her brother, Harry Presser, A"H.
* The Dinits family on the birth of their daughter.
* Sharon Augenbaum on the passing of her mother, Claire Kasman. The funeral took place on Thursday in New York. Sharon will be observing Shiva at 1008 North Belgrade Road, from Sunday morning until Wednesday morning.
* Dr. Werner Cohen and Mrs. Debbie Katz on the passing of their sister and aunt, Mrs. Lore Cohn. The funeral took place on Monday in Baltimore. Dr. Cohen will be observing Shiva at the home of Debbie & Marc Katz, 704 Lamberton Drive, through Sunday morning.
* Light Candles by 4:34
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will merge with the 8:45 Main Minyan.
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:35
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Aaron Selevan
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Aaron Selevan.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Selevan – Shiur after Mincha.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday, November 17, 4:35 PM in the Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
We welcome our Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Aaron Selevan. Rav, Congregation Ohev Zedek, Hamilton, Ontario; Member, Hamilton Beit Din; Former Rosh Kollel, Hamilton Kollel Mitzion.
* Friday Evening, 8:30 PM, light refreshments: Halachic Responses to Technological and Social Change
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): To Life to Life L'Chaim: The Custom of Toasting – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv: Mitzvas Ner Chanukah
STARTING THIS WEEK: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, November 18, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Chava & Rafi Cohen it in gratitude to Hakadosh Baruch Hu and in honor of Talya's birthday. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Tech Cafe at YISE – Sunday, November 19, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. For Seniors: Learn from local teens how to use technology, including smartphone, iPad, tablet, Facebook, email, and more. Bring your charged device and charger with you. For Teens: Volunteer for Tech Cafe. Free Pizza lunch for our Teen Techsperts! Co-sponsored by YISE and KMS in conjunction with Tech Cafe. Community Service Hours available. Questions? Contact Miriam Friedman, YISE/KMS – email@example.com 917-282-9617 or Stacey Relkin Winkler, Tech Cafe, firstname.lastname@example.org Register at www.yise.org/techcafe
The "Superhero" Community Blood Drive in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky Z"L and Dr. Clif Price Z"L was a success. Our goal was 35 donors and we collected 50 units of blood. Thank you to the donors and volunteers. The next blood drive is planned for June 10.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum on "Reflections on Shabbos." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Lost and Found – Items will be removed from the lower lobby coatroom on Monday, November 20.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday – Parsha Analysis; Tuesday – Torah Topics; Wednesday – Reading Responsa; Thursday – Inspired Avodah.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
The YISE Nursery School seeks a new Director. For more details about the position and requirements, visit to www.yise.org/jobs. For questions or to apply (resume and cover letter), please contact the Nursery School Director Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:40 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly. NOTE EXTENDED TIME FOR SCHOLAR-IN-RESIDENCE.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of Tsvi Lieber. The funeral took place on Sunday, followed by burial in Israel. Shiva was concluded before Shabbos.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit www.dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 18 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:00 PM.
The Stropkover Rebbe from Yerushalayim will be spending this Shabbos with the Silver Spring community. There will be a community "Tish" on Friday night, at the Chinn home, 1103 Arcola Avenue, at 8:15 PM. To make an appointment to meet privately with the Rebbe, contact 347-786-2560 or 718-749-7530.
Time Travel: Science Fact or Science Fiction – "Ma Rabu Ma'asecha …" Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations. The community is invited to join us for the thought-provoking "kick-off" of a new season of science lectures beginning on Sunday, November 19, 12:30 PM. With Dr. Jeremy Schnittman, Astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, and Torah Insights by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW Tiferes Gedaliah. Mincha following. YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Beyond Utilitarianism: Kidney Donation and the Trolley Problem – A DC Lunch and Learn with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Monday, November 20, 12:00 Noon – 12:45 PM at Morgan Lewis. Complimentary lunch served, RSVP required to email@example.com
We're On The Way Home: Paving The Way To The Geulah– By Sharing – 15th Annual Yarzeit Rachel Imeinu Video. For women and girls only. Tuesday, November 21, at YISE at 8:00 PM. For more info please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman.
Toastmasters' Meeting – No meeting November 22. Wednesday, November 29, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Visit and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A Parent's Responsibility: Children's Chinuch – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 23. Light refreshments will be served. Breakfast 9:00 AM, Chavrusas 9:30 AM; Shiur at 10:35 AM. YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Celebrate STEM and Chanukah Too! Learn about Chanukah through Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. Explore features of our STEM playground. Experience a taste of our Lower School. Sunday, December 3, 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon, at Berman Hebrew Academy. For Preschool and Lower School children ages 3-7 and their adults. RSVP to Elana Stein, Director of Admissions, 301-962-9400, x5630 or email@example.com
Sixth Annual LBJA Chanukah Boutique – Sunday, December 3, 12:00 Noon – 4:00 PM, sponsored by the PTO and Services Squad. Limited tables for vendors interested in selling their wares during one of the biggest shopping seasons! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to save your spot today!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington is considering the possibility of starting a family support group in the Kemp Mill area. In order to do so, we would like to know if there is an interest and need for such a group. You can help us, by contacting BCGW at 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Nov. 19 – Rosh Chodesh Monday, November 20 Tuesday, November 21 Wednesday, November 22 Thursday, Nov. 23 – Thanksgiving Day Friday, November 24
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:10 6:10 7:30 6:10
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:06 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:26 PM
November 24-25, 2017 – 7 Kislev 5778
Light Candles by 4:30 – Havdalah 5:31
* Light Candles by 4:30
Ashkenazi: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:31
Friday, November 17 Ruach Minyan, 4:35 PM, Social Hall
Shabbos, November 17-18 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Aaron Selevan
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 18 The First Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 19 Tech Cafe at YISE, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 9 Trivia Night at Shomrai! 7:30 PM
Sunday, December 17 Chanukah Carnival, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 22 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Wednesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Closed Thursday, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager