Parashas Toldos – November 16-17, 2012
Download the November 16-17 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 16-17, 2012 – Parshas Toldos – 3 Kislev 5773
Light Candles by 4:34 PM Havdalah 5:35 PM
This week's Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Ahuva & Yaakov Lipman to thank Hakadosh Baruch Hu for providing Uncle JJ with a new opportunity at Morgan Stanley.
* Light Candles by 4:34 PM
* Mincha 4:30 PM (Sephardi), 4:35 PM (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00 AM, 7:00 AM (Nusach Sefard), 8:00 AM, 8:15 AM (Sephardi), 8:30 AM (Univ.), 8:45 AM
* Mincha 2:30 PM, 4:15 PM (Sephardi), 4:30 PM
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:35 PM
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard Minyan – In honor of Rachel Lipman's Bat Mitzvah.
* 8:00 Minyan – In honor of Rachel Lipman's Bat Mitzvah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – In honor of Rachel Lipman's Bat Mitzvah.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meeet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9 AM in small Youth Room behind the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharis.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur at 4:00 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* R' Mosher Kasser – Shiur after Mincha at University.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10 AM until 11 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Sundays at 8:30 PM, at his home. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women will not meet this week.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – will not meet this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8 PM.
* Young Israel Shomrai Emunah on its 61st birthday this week, Shabbos Toldos!
* Bob Levi for being elected Chairman of the Board of the National Council of Young Israel.
* Lipman and Felsen families on the Bat Mitzvah of Rachel Lipman.
* Sarah & David Maslow of Jerusalem, on the birth of a granddaughter, Chaviva Leah, to their children Dina & Adam Lancer of Passaic, NJ.
* Lionel Rabin on the loss of his brother, David Rabin. Funeral and Shiva were held this week.
* The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
* Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick child(ren) up promptly.
* The Youth Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
If you would like to sponsor a Kiddush for the Youth Minyan for a special Simcha, event, or just because, please contact Judy Mehlman at email@example.com.
YISE Programs and Listings
PARKING: Effective December 1, the Shul has a new parking arrangement with the Shopping Center. We will no longer be renting parking from the Pool. Our center parking will be to the side and behind Ben Yehuda (not in front of the businesses on that side). The center does not want us parking in front of CVS. It is very important for the success of this new parking arrangement, which costs significantly less than the arrangement with the Pool, that everyone park in the proper location. If you have any questions, please contact our president, Dr. Marc Katz.
Are you interested in the lives of our Avos, Emahos,and others mentioned in Tanach? If so, come to the first installment of this year's Oneg Shabbos program with Rabbi Rosenbaum at 8 PM, next Friday night, November 23, at the home of Rachelli & Craig Simon, 918 Kenbrook Ct. We will be learning about the life of Esav. Light refreshments will be provided by the host family.
Chanukah Toy Drive – YISE Sisterhood is collecting toys to benefit Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for distribution to local patients, with a percentage going from our community to Hurricane Sandy victims in NJ and NY. New, unwrapped toys can be put in the marked box in the YISE lobby. For more information contact Stephanie Frumkin at SFrumkin@yise.org. Tizku L'Mitzvot!
Community Service Day – Join us for a Community Service Day on December 2 from 12 noon – 2 PM. Sponsored by YISE and KMS Chesed Committees, and MJBHA. Limited to 20 per session. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteer at A Wider Circle (distribution center) – 9159 Brookville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910- Phone: (301) 608-3504. American students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a new program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org or pick up a form in the lobby.
Job Assist Events:
* 3 Steps to Your Best Job Ever – Learn a simple approach for quickly landing the right job. Presented by Stephen Steinfeld for the OU. Tuesday, Nov. 20, 7 PM. Information and to register at www.oujobs.org.
* Getting a Job in the Age of Social Media – Thursday, Nov. 29, 10:30 AM, Aspen Hill Library. Presented by JSSA. Information and to register at 301-610-8380.
Community Programs and Listings
Bnei Akiva this week at KMS at 3:00 until Mincha. Walking groups will leave Shomrai at 2:30.
1st Grade Girls' Shabbos Group will meet on November 17 at the home of Molly Levin, 512 Ridgewell Way, from 4:00 – 5:15 PM. Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzai Shabbos, November 17, 7:00-8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes.
MJBHA Dramatic Arts Society presents, "Fools," a play by Neil Simon. Mix the wise men of Chelm with a dash of Amelia Bedelia. A recipe of silly comedy for the whole family! Saturday, November 17, 8:00 PM and Sunday, November 18, 3:00 PM at MJBHA. Tickets: students/seniors $5 per ticket, adults $8 per ticket. For more information, Zev Medoff at email@example.com.
Bnei Akiva – Join them to watch a movie, eat pizza and hang out with your madrichim! 3rd-6th graders, Tuesday, November 20 from 7-9:30 PM, at KMS. Cost: $7 per child, $4 for MAS members. RSVP by Nov. 18 to: firstname.lastname@example.org specifying "movie night" in the subject line.
The Kesuva: What Exactly Did You Promise Your Wife? – with Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington – Thursday, November 22, Thanksgiving Day Chavrusa 9:00 AM; Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910
Weekday morning Shiurim with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Rabbi Moshe Alshich Hakadosh commentaries on the Torah from 8:45 AM to 9:45 AM and In-Depth Gemara Shiur on Mesechta Pesachim including Meforshim from 9:45 AM to 10:45 AM. For more information 240-423-8810. Shiurim at 609 Hyde Rd.
Citrus Sale – Yeshiva of Greater Washington boys division, senior class, is selling fresh citrus straight from the grove to you! Help build up your immune system while helping them raise funds for their trip to Israel. Deadline to order is December 2. Contact Aryeh Broth at 301-509-7676 or email@example.com for more information.
Bethesda Mincha Minyan has started. 1:15 PM at 7910 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org if you can attend.
Helpline for Frum with Addictions – Do you, or some one you love, have a problem with drugs, alcohol, overeating, or any other form of addiction? Please call 1-866-zehayom for confidential help geared toward the frum community. Sponsored in part by the Yehudah Mond Foundation.
Don't Waste It – Planning a Simcha? Mazal Tov! What do you plan to do with any left-over catered food from certified Kosher stores or caterers? The Yehudah Mond Foundation can distribute your extra food with local families who have a need. To donate, call, or have your caterer contact email@example.com or 301-537-7158.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service points may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Marcia Custer at 301-962-0820.
The Week Ahead
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thurs. Nov. 22 Friday
November 18 November 19 November 20 November 21 Thanksgiving November 23
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 845 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 8:00 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 7:30 6:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 See Shabbos Schedule
University 4:35 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:05 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:25 PM
November 23-24, 2012
10 Kislev 5773
Light Candles by 4:30 PM – Havdalah 5:32 PM
* Light Candles by 4:30 PM
* Mincha 4:25 PM (Sephardi), 4:30 PM (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00 AM, 7:00 AM (Nusach Sefard), 8:00 AM, 8:15 AM (Sephardi), 8:30 AM (Univ.), 8:45 AM
* Mincha 2:30 PM, 4:10 PM (Sephardi), 4:25 PM
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:32 PM
Wednesday, Nov. 21 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon at Arcola
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 24 Dor l'Dor, 7:00 PM
Monday, Nov. 26 The Man With The Truck , Arcola 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Nov. 21, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Wednesday, 9 AM – 5 PM and Friday 9 AM – 1 PM
Closed Thursday for Thanksgiving
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director