Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 13-14, 2015 – 2 Kislev 5776 – Parshas Toldos
Light Candles by 4:37 – Havdalah 5:37
Mazal Tov to Young Israel Shomrai Emunah on its 64th birthday this week, Shabbos Toldos!
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Sorah Leah Milstein, born to Chani & Yitzi Milstein of Lakewood, NJ.
* Elyse & Haim Gabay on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal Tov to Debi & Max Rudmann, Larry Paine, Lois & Ray Bernzweig, Shoshana & Toby Kaye and family, Ateret Rudmann, Arielle & Aaron Paine and family, and big brothers Eli and Noam. The Shalom Zachor will be at 1121 University Towers G Level party room starting at 8:30 PM.
* Richard Greenberg on the passing of his father, Dr. Raymond Greenberg. The funeral took place on Tuesday in Florida. Shiva will be observed at 910 Kenbrook Court through Monday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 7:30, Monday: 6:30. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday: 4:40.
* Light Candles by 4:37
Arcola: 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:37
* Youth Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will resume in the Spring.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Friday, November 20.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Nancy & David Finkelstein, 11113 Lombardy Road. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Community Service Day at A Wider Circle (Distribution Center) – Sunday, November 15, 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM or 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, OSTT and MJBHA. Limited to 15 per session. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman firstname.lastname@example.org. Where: 9159 Brookville Road. Phone: (301) 608-3504. Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer.
New Class Starting This Week: The Meaning of Hallel – Three Monday-night sessions with Rabbi Rosenbaum, going in depth into Hallel. Classes will be on November 16, 23 and 30 from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM, in the YISE small Social Hall. Free; open to men and women. For more information, email email@example.com. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Shomrai Nursery PTA Ladies Night Out – Join us for an evening of good food, friends, and inspiration! Kosher Pastry Oven. Hors d'oeuvres, desserts, and sangria! With words of wisdom on The Modern Jewish Woman by Yiscah Baldinger, MSW. Wednesday, November 18. 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM. $18 at the door.
NEXT WEEK: Shabbos, November 20-21: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Meir Goldwicht. Joel & Maria Finkle Visiting Israeli Rosh Yeshiva; RIETS/Mazer School of Talmudic Studies at Yeshiva University; former Ram, Yeshiva Kerem B'Yavneh.
* After Shabbos Dinner in YISE Social Hall (~8:00): The Secret of Prayer During Times of Crisis and Happiness
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): Shechem, Chevron and Yerushalayim: How These Places Affect Our Personality – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv: The Evil Eye and the Good Eye in Our Daily Life
NEXT WEEK: Shabbos Dinner and Oneg with Scholar-in-Residence Rabbi Meir Goldwicht – Friday, November 20. $18/adult, $10/child (3-15), $72 family max. Reserve at www.yise.org/dinner or send check to YISE Office with memo "Scholar Dinner." Deadline November 16. Individuals in the community have expressed interest that all should feel comfortable attending and should not be inhibited by cost. Therefore, all are welcome to RSVP and pay what they can afford. Note that reservations are still REQUIRED. To volunteer to help (community service provided to teens) contact Barbara Price at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-332-8181.
Next week: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, November 21, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Ben Yehudah Pizza. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Uber and Disruptive Technologies in Light of Jewish Law and Ethics – Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to join us for a lecture by Rabbi Brahm Weinberg of KMS. Sunday, November 22, 9:30 AM at YISE.
Yavan: The Darkness Before the Chanukah Lights – Shiur for Women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, November 22, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
YISE Paintball! YISE is having paintball outing to Route 40 Paintball on Sunday, November 22 at 11:30 AM (NOTE NEW TIME) for men 13 and over. Cost is $30 per person. Reservations required by Thursday, November 19. For more information and reservations, please contact Yitz Sandberg at email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
In light of the terrifying daily events occuring in Israel, it is incumbent upon all of Klal Yisrael to pray and do meritorious deeds as a merit for the safety of our brothers and sisters. Our weekday Minyanim are reciting Psalms 121 and 130. Those who would like to say Tehillim privately can also recite 20, 83, and 142, among many others. May Hakadosh Baruch Hu answer our prayers, watch over the State of Israel and Jews all around the World, and bring the ultimate redemption speedily in our day.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes – Motzei Shabbos, November 14 at 7:30 PM. SOLD OUT!!!
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of former member Fred Hanau.
The Unveiling for Marion Krakow A"H, Miriam Bat BenTzion will take place on Friday, November 20 at 11:00 AM at Mount Lebanon Cemetery.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
From Darkness to Light: Black Holes as a Window on Creation – Ma rabu Ma'asecha… Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations. Second lecture in the science series, with Dr. Jeremy Schnittman, Astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. The community is invited to join us for this thought-provoking lecture. Sunday, November 15 at 12:30 PM. YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Chinese Auction / Art Auction – You are invited to a special night out at the Hilton Rockville Pike, on Sunday evening, November 15. An Art Auction and Mini-Chinese Auction hosted by the Berman Hebrew Academy. The preview and light fare café begins at 6:30 PM. The auction begins at 7:30 PM.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 18, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Camp Chaverim, a New Boys Sleepaway Camp in Town – Established and directed by Rabbi Ezra Baldinger and Rabbi Yaakov Boruch Beren, the camp is for boys entering the 4th through 9th grades with a Masmidim program for boys entering 10th grade through first year Bais Medresh. Please join us at our open house next Motzei Shabbos, November 21 at the Millers', 1108 N. Belgrade Road from 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Check us out on the web at chaverimovernight.com and contact us at 301-807-2260 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Matchmaker – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy, Moshe H. Levinson Upper School HADAS. Motzei Shabbos, November 21, 8:00 PM and Sunday, November 22, 2:00 PM. Tickets: Students/seniors $5.00, Adults $7.00. For more information: contact Eliana Elikan at email@example.com or Uri Farber at firstname.lastname@example.org
Charity in Memory of Avraham Khaldar – The Khaldar family is continuing to raise funds to support a new Yeshiva in the Old City of Jerusalem. The funds will be used to directly support a Chabura to learn Torah in memory of Avraham. If you would like to support, please make a check out to "Toras Yisrael Yevorchu Metzion," with "Zichron Avraham" in the memo, and send to Eitan Khaldar at 11305 Monticello Ave.
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 870. Contact email@example.com to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Pet Peeves of Former Recruiters – Free webinar, Wednesday, November 18, 12:30 PM – 1:15 PM. Replay available for 3 days. Info and register at http://www.sixfigurestart.com/about/upcoming-events/
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 15 Monday, November 16 Tuesday, November 17 Wednesday, November 18 Thursday, November 19 Friday, November 13
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:40 4:40, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:40, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:40, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:40, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:02 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:21 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:24 PM
November 20-21, 2015 – 9 Kislev 5776
Light Candles by 4:32 – Havdalah 5:33
* Light Candles by 4:32
Arcola: 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:33
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 14 Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes
Wednesday, November 18 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Susan Tate "The Golden Age of Cinema"
Wednesday, November 18 Shomrai Nursery PTA Ladies Night Out
Shabbos, November 20-21 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Meir Goldwicht
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 21 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 6:45 PM
Sunday, November 22 YISE Paintball Outing
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 18 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director