Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Purim Pants
February 27-28, 2015 – 9 Adar 5775 – Parshas Tetzaveh – Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 5:40 – Havdalah 6:40
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Aliza, Gil, Simcha, and Bina Chlewicki on the occasion of the first Yahrzeit of Aliza's father, Reuvain Ben Shaul Zissel, which occurs this week on 13 Adar (Taanis Esther).
* Light Candles by 5:40
Arcola: 5:40 University: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:10 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:30 University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
* Parshas Zachor will be repeated at the 2:30 Early Mincha, the 5:30 regular Mincha and the 5:15 Sephardi Mincha.
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:40
* Family Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Dr. Aharon Adler
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Dr. Aharon Adler
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:00 PM.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Dr. Aharon Adler – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola
* Yehudis & Rabbi Moshe Arzouan on the birth of a daughter, Tova Temima. Mazal Tov to the entire Arzouan and Konick families.
* Robin & Lawton Cooper on the engagement of their son Mickey to Chava Weisel, daughter of Elayna & Dr. Steven Weisel, of Maale Adumim. Mazal Tov to bubbeh Francine Cooper and to siblings Shoshana & Mark, Rafi, and Shulie.
* Barbara Price on the Bar-Mitzva of her grandson, Aharon Price in Passaic, NJ. Mazal Tov to the parents Lea & Rabbi Daniel Price, grandparents Karen & Rabbi Menachem Rosenfeld, great-grandmother Sybil Gertz, brothers, sister, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Keren & Ira Rabin on the upcoming Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Sarah Esther, on Purim. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Carol & Lionel Rabin, and to the aunt and uncle Esther & Joseph Rabin.
* Sara & Moshe Shamouilian on the birth of a baby girl, Ariella Hadasa. Mazal Tov to big sister Ruthie, to her grandparents, Mitra & Meir Shamouilian, Dr. Malka & Shmuel Benshir, Tracey & Dr. Michael Kotlicky, her great-grandparents Lillian & Dr. Morton Davis and Aniz & Mousa Abrishami. Mazal Tov to all the aunts, uncles, and cousins!
Minyan Changes and Additions this Shabbos
New Family Minyan – This week is the initial week of a periodic new family Minyan on Shabbos mornings. The Minyan will be geared in a variety of ways for children in grades K through 4, but will still have a full Davening for their parents. The Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:10 AM in the Small Social Hall. For questions, please contact Allison Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Youth Minyan will lead services at the 8:45 Main Minyan –
We are sure that parents and community members alike will Shep much Nachas. Please note that the regular 9:15 Youth Minyan will not take place this Shabbos.
YISE Programs and Listings
This Shabbos, February, 27-28: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Dr. Aharon Adler: President, Yeshivat Bnei Akivah Ner Tamid; Chairman, World Council of Mizrachi Rabbis; Rabbi Emeritus, Neve Orot Community Synagogue; Rav, Kehillat Ma'alot Yerushalayim Ohel Nechama Synagogue; Spokesperson for "Vote Torah" slate in World Zionist Congress Election.
* Friday night, 8:45 PM: Individuality in a Family Context
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): Identifying the Modern-day Amalek
* Between Mincha / Maariv: The Eretz Yisrael Component in the Purim Story
* Motzei Shabbos, 8:30 PM: Rabbi Adler will introduce the film, "Beneath the Helmet," which will be shown in the Beis Medrash, followed by voting in the WZC Elections.
Final Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, February 28, 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is being sponsored by Adina & Josh Obstfeld. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, March 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM (note new time) at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Saving a Life on Shabbos – Rabbi Rosenbaum and Dr. Theo Heller discuss how you determine whether a life is at stake, what questions to ask, who can do what, when, and how, and what to do when you are just not sure. Sunday, March 8, YISE Beis Medrash, 10:30 AM – 12:00 noon. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and the chesed committees of YISE, KMS, and SSJC.
The Fifth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 25, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Dedicate a YISE Window – YISE is raffling off the dedication of the last two recently installed stained-glass windows. The cost is only $36 per ticket. The drawing will take place at YISE on April 15. All tickets must be paid for by 5:00 PM Tuesday, April 14. One ticket: $36. Three tickets: $100. To order tickets, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a check payable to "YISE" marked "window raffle" or to pay for your tickets by credit card, call Simi Franco in the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403. Questions? email@example.com
Hamburgers, Hotdogs, and Haggadahs – Adults-only event run by YISE Youth to help parents/grandparents learn new ways to enhance the Seder experience for their children/grandchildren, while enjoying a night out with BBQ. March 22, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Social Hall. $10 per person, payable at the door. Please see the flyer on the electronic board and RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301-593-7365 or email email@example.com for inquiries.
Be part of Global Good Deeds Day and join us on Sunday, March 15 from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM:
* Clowning and Parade Event – Join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, Berman Hebrew Academy, Beth Sholom Congregation and Talmud Torah, and Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah Congregation at The Hebrew Home. Meet at 1:00 PM in the lobby. Bring your funny hats and costumes and make the residents smile. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Limited to 15 volunteers. To sign up, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Park Cleanup at the Kemp Mill Park and Sligo Creek Park – Join YISE, Berman Hebrew Academy, Beth Sholom Congregation and Talmud Torah, and Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah Congregation in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com for more information.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from four classes.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from three classes.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will not meet this week.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall – will not meet this week.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will join and lead services at the 8:45 Main Minyan this Shabbos, Parshas Tetzaveh.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Taanis Esther, Wednesday, March 4:
* Fast Begins 5:17
* Shacharis 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 (Sephardi 6:10, 7:15)
* Mincha 1:00, 5:25 (Sephardi 5:20)
* Fast Ends 6:44
Purim Night, Wednesday, March 4:
* Maariv/Megillah 6:35 (Everywhere)
* Megillah (only) 9:00
Purim Day, Thursday, March 5:
* Shacharis/Megillah 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 8:30 (Sephardi 7:00)
* Megillah (only) 1:30
* Mincha 1:00, 4:30 (Sephardi 2:15)
* Maariv 8:00 (Sephardi 9:00)
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Purim, Shabbos and Bitachon – Rabbi Reingold will be giving a Shiur for women, this Shabbos, February 28, at the home of Meera & Stephan Miller, 1015 Arcola Ave., at 4:15 PM.
Rabbi Yitzchak Scher will give his Shiur on Megillas Esther with commentary of the Vilna Gaon at the Tuesday night BMZG program.
Purim Extravaganza – Join the YISE and KMS youth departments for a community wide Purim celebration on March 1, 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon in the KMS Social Hall for Hamantaschen baking, carnival games, inflatables, mask making, Purim storytime, and a sing-along. $6.00 per person (children 2 and older), $18 per family max.
PURIM: The Retroactive Redemption – Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky – Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Community Shiur for men and women. Monday, March 2, 8:00 PM (Maariv to follow), YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary.
GWCK Yeshivas Mordechai Hatzadik Purim Learning Extravaganza – Join the Kollel on Purim morning, Thursday, March 5, for a half hour of learning and fun, with prizes, raffles, and refreshments! For men and boys, 5 and up, at the Kollel (10900 Lockwood Dr.), following the 8:00 Minyan (approximately 9:45 AM).
Fourteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in Memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Thursday, March 5 at 10:30 AM in the G Level Party Room, 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers).The Shiur ends by 11:00 AM. Please note new location.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim cards for only $2.50 each. Contact: Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 or Rachel Pinchot at 301-754-3773.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers also needed to Lein the Megillah. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or call (301) 593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. Donate online at www.yehudamondfoundation.org or mail to 812 Hyde Court.
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Will next meet on Wednesday, March 11.
Community Service Day. Volunteer at A Wider Circle (Distribution Center) – 9159 Brookville Road, Sunday, March 1 from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM, sponsored by Berman Hebrew Academy. Limited to the first 15 people who RSVP. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com Please fill out a waiver if this is your first time at A.W.C.: www.awidercircle.org/get-involved/volunteer/ Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer.
Pirchei is Coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting up Parshas Vayakhel-Pekudei, March 14, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-Pesach Boutique in Kemp Mill – Sunday, March 8, at YISE, 11:00 AM – 3:30 PM. Some popular vendors to look forward to seeing: Polka Dots, E-Jeweled, Jewelry by the Strand, Lula Roe Fashions, Just Suits, Pampered Chef, Lena Wigs and more. There will be shells, hats, scarves, jewelry and art. Sponsored by the PTSO of YGW.
The Ultimate Kindness – Chevra Kadisha is called the ultimate good deed, Chesed Shel Emet, as the recipient cannot return the favor. The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington needs volunteers to conduct Taharot. Opportunities are available daily and volunteers from throughout the region are welcome. For more information or to volunteer, contact: For Women's Division – Devorah Grayson, 202-438-7060. For Men's Division: (301) 593-1193 or email@example.com
The Golden Network has expanded its services to offer home-based musical performances to Seniors. TGN also offers a variety of other programs, including classes, lectures, one on one learning and friendship visits in Montgomery County. For more information contact (301)338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Workplace Skills Seminars:
* Accounting Issues for Small Business – Rescheduled – Free workshop with Sharon Samuels. Monday, March 9, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM, KMS. To reserve a seat, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
* Federal Jobs – Two free webinars – (1) 10 Steps to a Federal Job, March 5, 12:00 noon – 12:30 PM, and (2) Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications, March 11, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM. For both, register at www.resume-place.com/services/free-webinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job/
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 1 Monday, March 2 Tuesday, March 3 Wed., March 4 – Taanis Esther Thurs., March 5 – Purim Friday, March 5 – Shushan Purim
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 7:00 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 5:50 5:50 5:50 1:00, 5:25 / 6:35 1:00, 4:30 / 8:00 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A 6:35 (Maariv) N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:49 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
March 6-7, 2015 – 16 Adar 5775
Parshas Ki Sisa
Light Candles by 5:47 – Havdalah 6:47
* Light Candles by 5:47
Arcola: 5:50 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:45 University: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:47
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
Shabbos, February, 27-28 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Dr. Aharon Adler
Motzei Shabbos, Feb 28 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM
Sunday, March 1 YISE Annual Banquet, 6:30 PM
Monday, March 2 The Man With The Truck, Arcola Social Hall, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Saturday, March 14 Aufruf of Samuel Billig
Wednesday, March 18 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon,
YISE Nursery School will be singing.
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 4 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Wednesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Closed Thursday, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director