Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Purim Pants
February 23 – 24, 2018 – 2 Adar 5778 – Parshas Tetzaveh, Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 5:36 – Havdalah 6:36
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Michael Shimoff in honor of his amazing wife, Sharon, who tirelessly put together Eli's Bar Mitzvah, making it a beautiful Simcha.
* Shalva & Enoch Resnick on the engagement of their grandson, Chananel Resnick, son of Devorah & Rabbi Yisroel Resnick of Ramat Beit Shemesh, to Michal Feder, daughter of Yael & Rabbi Rephael Feder of Har Nof, Yerushalayim.
* Sharon & Michael Shimoff on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Eli. Mazal Tov to siblings Dovie, Noa, and Yonah. Mazal Tov to grandparents June & Peter Olster and extended family.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of two greatgranddaughters. Parents are Chava & Avraham Yarconi and Shaynie & Avigdor Goldberger.
* Tova Welik on the passing of her mother, Sunny Hercenberg. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva is being observed at 10903 Wheeler Drive until Sunday morning.
* Light Candles by 5:36
Ashkenazi: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:30 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
Parshas Zachor will be repeated at the 2:30 & 5:30 Minyanim.
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:36
* 8:00, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Sharon & Michael Shimoff in honor of Eli's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM – 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Monday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday Shiurim will not meet this week.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 2: Sunday, February 25, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM.
YISE Social Hall.
Scholar-in-Residence – March 2-3 with Rabbi Dr. Michael & Prof. Smadar Rosensweig. Shabbos dinner, $24/adult, $10/child, details at www.yise.org/dinner Deadline extended to Sunday, February 25. See back page for schedule.
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, March 3, 7:50 PM, Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
8th Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will take place on Shabbos Tazria-Metzora, April 21. To register for a particular section visit http://www.yise.org/siyum or call Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations sought – The YISE Nominating Committee has been appointed, and is soliciting nominations and self-nominations for Board of Director vacancies. Please email names of those who have indicated a willingness to serve if elected to email@example.com by March 9.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan, youth room behind the Balcony. No groups for 1st-4th grade this Shabbos. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – To purchase cards, contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402
Purim Cards for Yad Yehuda available now for $3 each. To purchase cards, contact Menucha Wolfe at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Purim Cards available for $3 each, 10 for $25, premium cards $4. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Donna Goldman, 301-962-5111 ext. 1552 for details.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-1193.
17th Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod, Raizel bas Simcha, on Purim, Thursday, March 1, at 10:30 AM at 1111 University Blvd West, Penthouse Level Party Room. The shiur ends by 11:00 AM. * Please note new location!
GWCK Purim Learning – This Purim, bring your sons to continue the legacy of Yeshivas Mordechai Hatzadik! Participate in a half hour of learning, with prizes, raffles, and refreshments. At the Kollel (10900 Lockwood Dr.), following the 8:00 Shacharis (approximately 9:45 AM). For men and boys ages 5 and up.
Purim Pasta Groggers – What makes more noise? Wacky Mac or a box of cereal? Pasta or a can of chow mein noodles? A box of rice mix or a can of almonds? Check it out and bring them to Shul on Purim to blot out Haman's name & hunger in our community by using a ¡§pasta¡¨ grogger! After the Megillah leining, please deposit your food items into the Yad Yehudah – Capital Kosher Pantry box!
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of Guta Wolke. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva is being observed at 1 Saddlerock Court until Sunday morning.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 24, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Spring Contest – Wednesday, March 7, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Come see your friends compete for Best Speaker and Best Evaluator! Contact Laura Warshawsky at email@example.com for more information.
Mikvah Meeting – Join The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington Board of Directors at its membership meeting on Sunday, February 25, at 8:00 PM at KMS, downstairs in the Youth Beit Midrash. Rabbi Rosenbaum will address the membership, on the topic of "Finding Perfect Purity in an Imperfect World."
Pre-Pesach Boutique – Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Pre-Pesach Boutique at YISE, Sunday, March 18, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Hats, jewelry, serving accessories, clothing, hair accessories, makeup, sheitels, pottery and more. Raffle and light refreshments. For more info., contact Rhonda Lehman at 301-351-1725 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Good Book is the annual Orthodox Jewish directory published by Dr. Bert & Rachelle Miller in Greater Washington since 1995. They mail the 240-page book for free to all interested Orthodox-affiliated households. Interested households should email their new or updated listing info to email@example.com
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 25 Monday February 26 Tuesday February 27 Wed., Feb. 28 – Taanis Esther Thursday, March 1 – Purim Friday, March 2 – Shushan Purim
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:10 6:00 7:00 6:10
Ashkenazi 5:45 5:45 / 7:30 5:45 / 7:30 1:00,5:20 1:00,4:00 / 7:00,9:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:40 5:40 5:40 5:35 2:00 / 8:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:54 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:29 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
March 2 – 3, 2018 – 16 Adar 5778
Parshas Ki Sisa
Light Candles by 5:43 – Havdalah 6:43
* Light Candles by 5:43
Ashkenazi: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:40 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:43
Shabbos, February 24 Bar Mitzvah of Eli Shimoff, 8:45 Main Minyan
Sunday, February 25 Purim Carnival, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, February 25 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for
Married Women, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Shabbos, March 2-3 Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Dr. Michael & Prof. Smadar Rosensweig
Motzei Shabbos, March 3 Dor L'Dor, 7:50 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, March 11 Sushi and Speed Dating, 6:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 28 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday – Wednesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Closed Thursday; Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
YISE Purim Schedule 5778/2018
Taanis Esther – Wednesday February 28
Fast Begins 5:23am
Earliest Talis/Tefilin 5:50am
Shacharis: Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 6:00am
Small Social Hall 6:10am
Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:35am/7:35am
Large Beis Medrash 8:30am
Mincha: Belonofsky Sanctuary 1:00pm/5:20pm
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 5:35pm
Fast Ends 6:40pm
Purim Night – Wednesday February 28
Maariv/Megillah: Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30pm
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 6:05pm
Nusach Sefard – Small Beis Medrash 6:30pm
Youth/Family – Social Hall 6:30pm
Megillah Only: Belonofsky Sanctuary 9:30pm
Purim Day – Thursday March 1
Shacharis/Megillah: Small Social Hall 6:00am
Large Social Hall 6:30am
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 7:00am
Belonofsky Sanctuary 7:00am/8:30am
Megillah Only: Belonofsky Sanctuary 11:00am
Mincha: Belonofsky Sanctuary 1:00pm/4:00pm
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 2:00pm
Maariv: Belonofsky Sanctuary 7:00pm
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 8:00pm
Belonofsky Sanctuary 9:00pm