Download the February 22-23 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Purim Pants
February 22-23, 2013 – 13 Adar 5773 – Parshas Tet zaveh – Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 5:35 – Havdalah 6:35
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the 12th Yahrzeit of Arleeta's mother, Jane Axelrod A"H (Raizel bas Simcha).
* Light Candles by 5:35
* Mincha 5:30 (Sephardi), 5:35 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:15 (Sephardi), 5:30
* Parashas Zachor will be repeated at the 2:30 PM Early Mincha and at the regular (5:30) Arcola Mincha.
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:35 (Followed by Megillah Reading)
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Josh Blaustein
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Miriam & Yekhiel Weill in honor of the Yahrtzeit of his father, Avigdor ben Eliezer.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Lianne & Theo Heller in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Eliezer.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:00 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Leor &Avi Baldinger on the birth of twin daughters, Temima Tova and Ariella Rachel. Mazal Tov also to big sister Nava, grandparents Esther & Alan Baldinger and Cori & Brett Oxman, and all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Lianne & Theo Heller on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Eliezer. Mazal Tov to his brothers, Dov, Lev and Ezra, future sister-in-law, Mouchka, and to the grandparents, Phyllis & Joshua Heller and Valerie & Max Cohen.
* Adina & Josh Obstfeld on the birth of a daughter, Rose Lily (Irit Leora). Mazal Tov to big sister, Sophie, and big brother, Max.
* Jay Eizenstat on the passing of his mother, Fran Eizenstat. The funeral was held this week in Atlanta, GA. Shiva will continue through Sunday morning at 1111 North Belgrade Road. Visitors on Motzei Shabbos from 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM. Shacharis/Megillah on Sunday at 8:15 AM.
* Miriam Mordfin on the passing of her mother, Hanna Jacobovitch. The funeral was held this week in Olney. Shiva was held this week.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp. Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Motzei Shabbos, February 23:
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:35
* People who have not yet davened Maariv should make sure to say "Baruch Hamavdil Bein Kodesh Lechol" once Shabbos is over before changing into costumes or driving to shul. Havdalah is normally made after Megillah reading.
* Megillah 7:15 (Arcola, Univ. & Sephardi)
* Maariv/Megillah 7:15 – Youth/Family Celebration (Arcola Social Hall)
* Megillah (only) 9:30 (Arcola)Purim Day, Sunday February 24:
* Shacharis/Megillah 6:30, 7:30, 9:00 (Arcola) 7:30 (Sephardi), 8:00 (Univ.)
* Megillah (only) 11:00 (Arcola)
* Mincha 1:00, 4:30 (Both at Arcola)
* Purim Carnival 1:00 – 3:00 (Arcola Social Hall)
* Maariv 7:00, 8:30 (Both at Arcola)
FAMILY PURIM CELEBRATION and CARNIVAL
* Exciting Carnival Games
* Cool Prizes
* Cotton Candy
And LOTS of FUN!!
Sunday, February 24th
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah Social Hall
1132 Arcola Avenue, Silver Spring
Festivities begin at 1:00 p.m.
Games, cotton candy, and popcorn
Tickets cost 50¢ each
Or $5 for all – Inclusive per child
SAVE THE DATE AND MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW!
YISE Annual Banquet, Sunday, April 14, 2013.
Honorees: Laurie & Stuart Cohen.
Young Leadership: Allison & Louis Lazar
Youth Honorees: Aryeh Broth, Ayala Harris, Tova Kwiat, Devorah Mehlman, Yehudah Mehlman, Yehudah Rudack, Esther Widitor
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesday evenings at University will resume after Pesach
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – will not meet this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
The Third Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer Z"L will be held at a Seudat Shlishit on Shabbos, April 13, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. The Adult Education Committee has divided the Tanach into 133 sections. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Job Assist Events:
* Computer Training Online – (1) QuickBooks—Intermediate Users, Monday, February 25, afternoon and evening classes, (2) Dreamweaver, Thursday, March 7, and (3) Excel–Beginners, Thursday, March 7. For all three classes, info/register at www.oujobs.org/events.
* 2-Day Job Search Boot Camp – Intense coverage of networking, resumes, interviewing, and more. Wednesday – Thursday, March 6-7, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Free (normally $50). 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info/register at www.jssa.org.
* Job Fair for Individuals with Special Needs – Thursday, March 7, in New York City. Details at www.oujobs.org/events.
Food Drive Meets Great Need – The 10th Pesach Chometz Riddance Food drive, which runs from February 24 to March 21, collects donations for the Capital Area Food Bank for distribution to needy individuals and families. Please bring your donations to a bin outside the Arcola Social Hall or at University Boulevard.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specially marked "Matanos Laevyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly. Please give in funds no later than the last Shacharis minyan Purim morning.
* The Yehudah Mond Foundation, which assists individuals and families in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. Donate on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, by calling 443-539-1465, or mailing to 812 Hyde Court, Silver Spring.
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Od Yosef Chai – provides needed funds to the poor in Israel on Purim day. If you are interested, please contact Yonah Soskin at 301-754-0198. Checks can be delivered to 803 Lamberton Drive.
The Twelfth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, February 24 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room at 1121 University Blvd W. (University Towers). The shiur ends by 11:00.
Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg has written his third book in a series dealing with the Jewish Holidays. This book is about Purim and is written in English. Please contact Raph Ginsburg at Raphael.Ginsburg@verizon.net if you'd like to purchase a copy.
Community Programs and Listings
Wanted: Paid Shomers to serve in local funeral homes. Please call Howard Katz 301-933-3033.
March is Teen Dating Abuse Awareness Month! Choose Respect Montgomery: Moving Beyond the Myths, Sunday, March 3, 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM, Montgomery College – Germantown Campus. Open to 6th-12th graders, parents & educators Fee: FREE! At this one-day teen dating conference teens, parents and educators in their own age-appropriate workshops will: examine the myths of teen dating abuse; learn the signs and red flags of an abusive relationship; and discover how to help oneself or a friend who is caught in an unhealthy relationship.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Feb. 24 Purim Monday, Feb. 25 Shushan Purim Tuesday, February 26 Wednesday, February 27 Thursday, February 28 Friday March 1
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 9:00 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 1:00, 4:30 / 7:00, 8:30 5:45 5:45 5:45 5:45 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:55 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:29 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
March 1-2, 2013 – 20 Adar 5773
Parshas Ki Sasa – Parshas Parah
Light Candles by 5:43 – Havdalah 6:42
* Light Candles by 5:43
* Mincha 5:40 (Sephardi), 5:45 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:25 (Sephardi), 5:40
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:42
Shabbos, February 23 Bar Mitzvah of Eliezer Heller
Sunday, February 24 YISE Family Purim Celebration and Carnival
Shabbos, March 2 Bar Mitzvah of Edan Friedman
Motzei Shabbos, March 2 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, March 9 Bar Mitzvah of Eyal Mordechai
Motzei Shabbos, March 9 Change your clocks – Spring Forward
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Feb. 27, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director