Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Purim Pants
March 10-11, 2017 – 13 Adar 5777 – Parshas Tetzaveh – Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 5:52 – Havdalah 6:51
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Aliza & Gil Chlewicki in memory of Aliza's father, Robert Sacknovitz (Reuvain Ben Shaul Zissel), on the occasion of his third Yahrzeit on 13 Adar.
* Esther & Alan Baldinger, Ahuva Engel, and Chaim Engel on the birth of a grandson born to their children, Alix & Josh Baldinger. Mazal Tov also to the extended family, including great-grandmother Edith Baldinger. The Shalom Zachor will be held at the Kramer residence, 903 Hyde Road, 8:45 PM – 10:30 PM.
* Judith & Rabbi Marvin Goldman on Rabbi Goldman being honored by Yeshiva University for his 55 years in the Rabbinate.
* Dorit & Reuven Kasierer on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the Shames and Kasierer families. The Shalom Zachor will be held at their home, 1107 Arcola Avenue, at 8:45 PM.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on Rabbi Koss being honored by Yeshiva University for his 51 years in the Rabbinate.
* The Savir Family on Shoshana's Bat mitzvah. Special Mazal Tov to her grandparents Samuel & Carolyn Backman.
* Bruce James and Rachelli Simon on the loss of their mother and grandmother, Ann H. James.
* Light Candles by 5:52
Arcola: 5:55 * University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
* The Friday night Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary will be a Ruach Minyan, in honor of Purim, led by Rabbi Ozzie Burnham. There will be another Minyan in the Social Hall beginning at the same time.
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:45 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Parshas Zachor will be repeated at the 2:30 Early Mincha, 5:45 Regular Mincha and the 5:25 Sephardi Mincha.
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:51 – followed by Megillah Reading
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Yechiel Tzvi Weill to commemorate the upcoming Yahrzeit of his father, Rabbi Avigdor Weill, Z"L.
* Sephardi Minyan – Menachem Shlomyuk in memory of his mother Deloras Bath Eliyahu; David Mordechai in memory grandmother Farcha Bath Simcha; Micha Dahan in memory of his father Eliyaho Ben Zohara.
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – The Savir Family in honor of Shoshana's Bat Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Motzei Shabbos, March 11:
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:51
* People who have not yet davened Maariv should make sure to say "Baruch Hamavdil Bein Kodesh Lechol" once Shabbos is over before changing into costumes or driving to shul. Havdalah is normally made after Megillah reading.
* Megillah 7:30 (Arcola and University)
7:30 – Youth/Family Celebration Followed by light refreshments (Arcola Social Hall)
Purim Day, Sunday, March 12:
* Shacharis/Megillah 6:30, 7:30, 9:00 (Arcola) 7:00 (Sephardi)
* Megillah (only) 11:00 (Arcola)
* Mincha 2:00, 5:30 (Arcola) 2:00 (Sephardi)
* Maariv 9:00 (Arcola and Sephardi)
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will not meet this week.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Five Things You Can Do For Your Health to Turn Back the Clock – or at Least Press Pause – Senior Lunch with Judie Harvey, Health Educator, Wednesday, March 15, 12:00 Noon at YISE.
Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child, Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living – Rabbi Rosenbaum will share some important reflections on Jewish parenting. Sunday, March 19, 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This discussion is geared for parents of young children, nursery through grade 3. Please come prepared with your questions. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Improve your Kavanah through the Siddur's Fine Print – Rabbi Hirsh Chinn will explain the origins and meanings of the short "prayers before we pray" we find in the Siddur: the Y'hi Ratzons, Hineni Muchans, and the like. Tuesday, March 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary. Free and open to all. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Wine Tasting – You are invited to a wine tasting with Jeff Morgan, winemaker and co-proprietor of Covenant Winery. Motzei Shabbos, March 25, 9:00 PM – 10:30 PM at YISE. $18 per person. RSVP to www.yise.org/wine Payment via PayPal or check to the Shul office must be received by Monday, March 20.
Global Good Deeds Day – Sunday, April 2: Join in a park cleanup, any time between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM! Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome. Visit http://www.shalomdc.org/kempmillparkgdd2017 Good Deeds Day 2017 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; our Park Cleanup project is organized by YISE, KMS, Berman, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2017-2018 is now open! Visit http://nursery.yise.org to register Contact 301–593–7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour.
Camp Shomrai is Back for Another Wonderful Summer! Camp will run for 7 weeks beginning Monday, June 26 and ending Friday, August 11. Register online at http://campshomrai. campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Pre-Purim Oneg – The boys of the Youth Minyan are invited to an Oneg this Friday night at the Pepper home 1101 N. Belgrade Road, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, March 11, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 3:00 PM.
Shabbos Game Club for Kids and Teens! Board game enthusiasts of any age are welcome to join the new game club this Shabbos, March 11, 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM at the Frumkin home at 701 Hyde Road. Club meets every two weeks. RSVP to StephanieFrumkin@yahoo.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 15, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Pirchei is coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting up Parshas Ki Sisa, March 18, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our e-mail list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
BCGW Pre-Pesach and Spring Boutique – Sunday, March 19, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Hats, art, clothing, jewelry and more! A portion of the proceeds benefits Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. For more information, contact Rhonda Lehman, 301-351-1725 or email@example.com
Playing G-d: Promise and Pitfalls of Gene Editing – DC Lunch and Learn. Monday, March 20. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Silverman Kahan A"H Memorial Lecture and Breakfast – Join Sulam on Sunday, April 2 at 10:00 AM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Guest lecturer David Makovsky, will be speaking on the topic of "After 125 Campus Visits – Preliminary Impressions about Israel, BDS, and the Next Generation of American Jews." Find out more information and register at www.sulam.org/events
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* JCA 50+ Employment Expo – Free. Monday, April 3, 1 0:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center.
* Questions about this and other workshops may be addressed to DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Purim: Celebrating Hidden Miracles – Rabbi Silver will be giving a Shiur for women this Shabbos afternoon at the home of Sarah & Steven Reiss 1100 Kersey Road at 4:30 PM.
Celebrate Purim with YISE! Join us for a family Megillah reading followed by dancing and refreshments! Men, women and children of all ages are welcome and costumes are encouraged! Motzei Shabbos, March 11 at 7:30 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
Purim Pasta Groggers Program – YISE is running its first annual program in conjunction with Kosher Food Pantry. Bring your box of pasta (rice or cereal) to Shul and shake it whenever you hear ‘Haman,' and look for the marked bins by the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Social Hall where the boxes can be placed after Megillah. Boxes not used for groggers are welcome, too! For more information, contact email@example.com
Join the GWCK's Yeshivas Mordechai Hatzadik for a half-hour of learning on Purim morning! Great learning, refreshments, and prizes! For men and boys. At the Kollel (10900 Lockwood Drive) immediately following the 8:00 AM Minyan (approx. 9:45 AM).
Purim Morning Hour of Uninterrupted Learning – Men and boys join the Yeshiva on March 12, 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM. Special incentives: Elementary school – father and son learning with prizes and pizza. Middle school, high school and above – first 60 who sign up and show up will receive a special gift! Sign-up sheets on the Boys School bulletin board. Program at YGW Boys School. Contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sixteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, March 12 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room, 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers).The Shiur ends by 11:00 AM.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com
The Seventh Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 29, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 12 – Purim Monday, March 13 – Shushan Purim Tuesday, March 14 Wednesday, March 15 Thursday, March 16 Friday, March 17
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 9:00 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 2:00, 5:30 / 9:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 2:00 / 9:00 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:32 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:15 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
March 17-18, 2017 – 20 Adar 5777
Parshas Ki Sisa – Parshas Parah
Light Candles by 6:59 – Havdalah 7:59
* Light Candles by 6:59
Arcola: 7:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 University: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:59
Shabbos, March 11 Bat Mitzvah of Shoshana Savir
Wednesday, March 15 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, YISE
Monday, March 20 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, March 25 Wine Tasting, 9:00 PM – 10:30 PM
Sunday, April 2 Global Good Deeds Day
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 15 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager