Click here to download complete details for An Inspirational Shabbos with the Greater Washington Community Kollel
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 7-8, 2014 – 8 Adar 1 5774 – Parshas Tetzaveh
Light Candles by 5:18 – Havdalah 6:19
* Light Candles by 5:18
* Mincha 5:20, 5:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00 (Sephardi), 5:15 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:19
* Youth Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Avraham Sussman
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of the GWCK Shabbaton
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur resumes this week at 4:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Welcome to the GWCK
YISE welcomes Rabbi Menachem Winter, Rosh Kollel, other members of the Greater Washington Community Kollel, and their families. Different Kollel members will be sharing Divrei Torah and giving Shiurim over the course of Shabbos. We also would like to thank the GWCK for inviting popular singer and Baal Tefillah, Simcha Leiner, who will be leading a Ruach-filled Davening on Friday night in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, and leading the Davening at the 8:45 Main Minyan. For those more comfortable with the more traditional YISE Friday night Davening, an alternative Minyan will be held in the Social Hall.
* Sarah & David Maslow, of Jerusalem, on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Tamar Rena, daughter of Dina & Adam Lancer of Passaic, NJ.
* Donna & Geoffrey Rosenbloom and the entire family on the engagement of their son, Chaim, to Yael Sladowsky, daughter of Debbie & Shaul Sladowsky of Beit Shemesh, Israel.
* Paula & Michael Schopf on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Ari, son of Lisa & Simmy Schopf of Kemp Mill.
* Clark Rogers, on the passing of his father, Alan Rogers. The funeral took place on Tuesday. Shiva will be observed at the Rogers home, 318 Hannes Street, through Monday morning. Minyan schedule: Shacharis on Sunday at 8:00 and on Monday at 6:45. Mincha/Maariv on Sunday at 5:15.
NEXT WEEKEND: YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Honorees: Jodi & David Mazel
Young Leadership: Rachelli & Craig Simon and Youth Honorees: Tara Kugler – Naomi Merkin – Adena Miller
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan. Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings.For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, iscurrently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. A special mini-series will continue on February 11 and 18 by Rabbi Akiva Leiman: Pass it on – The origins and transmission of the Torah based on the Rambam's introduction to Perush Hamishnayos.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men,Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Professional Malpractice" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM – will not meet this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to fosterGemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about the "Laws of Washing Before Bread." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
The Trolley Problem and The Runaway Train: Triage Decisions in Halacha – The Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women to a Jewish Ethics lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter. Sunday, February 9, 9:30 AM, YISE Social Hall.
Keeping Your Sanity with Tweens and Teens – A "bonus" parenting lecture by parent educator Judy Rosenthal, sponsored by YISE Youth. Sunday, February 9, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Free admission.
Eldercare workshop: The Special Challenges of Long Distance Care Giving – Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE and KMS. Featuring Barbara Trainin Blank, an awardwinning writer and the author of the recently published "What to Do about Mama." Sunday, February 9, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM at KMS. Light refreshments. Free admission. RSVP requested to email@example.com or 202 331-4481.
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Seudat Shlishit on Shabbos, April 26, Parshas Kedoshim. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Lost and Found: A dark grey overcoat, with 1 black glove & 1 grey glove in the pockets, was taken last Shabbos. Please call the Shul office if you have it.
SAVE THE DATE: February 21-22 – Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Menachem Nissel, Rabbinic Resource, NCSY; Rav, Multiple Israeli Yeshivot and Seminaries; Author, Rigshei Lev: Women and Tefilah; Senior Lecturer, Ner L'elef – World Center for Jewish Leadership Training and Community Outreach.
* Friday at 8:30 PM: Abraham: Shacharis – Unanswered Prayers
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan (Kiddush follows):Yitzchak: Mincha – Digging Wells on Our Souls
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Yaakov: Maariv – Faith in Darkness
Camp Shomrai 2014 Registration is now OPEN – June 23 through August 8. Our Torah-based, safe, nurturing, summer camp only for preschool aged children is known for its excellent staff, its profound commitment to safety, and a creative and joyous attitude toward learning and discovery. For ages 2 through 5. For inquiries contact 301-593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Nursery Registration for 2014-2015 is now OPEN – Our Torah-based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and children's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. For inquiries contact 301-593-7365 or email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of this endeavor.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
LBJA Science Fair – Sunday, February 9, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM at the Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy of Fine Arts. Please come join us for a hands-on experience of science, fascination and fun! 1401 Arcola Ave. 301-592-8433. Free entry, all invited!
To Make a Proper Shabbos Choice: Borrer on Shabbos, Part 2 and Yom Tov – A focus on Halacha Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, February 10 at 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Presented by YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
BCGW Volunteer Training – Enhancing your understanding and performance of the Mitzvah of Bikur Cholim. Featuring Rabbi Yosef Singer, Rabbi of Young Israel of Potomac, and Audrey Siegel, Executive Director of BCGW. Sunday, February 16, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM at Young Israel of Potomac, 11618 Seven Locks Rd. Light refreshments. No charge but RSVP requested 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
TSGW 11th Annual Chinese Auction – Sunday, February 23, 7:00 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Prize drawings begin at 8:30 PM. Admission: $25 per person. To reserve your entrance ticket in advance, contact 301-962-8003 ext. 2300 or firstname.lastname@example.org Order tickets online at www.tsgwauction.com
Job Assist Events:
* Free webinars on federal jobs – (1) Federal Job Applications, Monday, February 10, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM. (2) Federal Summer Jobs, Tuesday, February 11, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM. (3) Schedule A for Persons with Disabilities, Wednesday, February 12, 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM. For all three, info and register at www.resume-place.com
* LinkedIn – Intermediate – Free workshop. Wednesday, February 12, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org
* Improve Your Business Web Page – Use Facebook ads, sponsored stories, and boosted posts. Online. Free. Wednesday, February 19, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
* Use Email to Land a Job or Build Your Business – Free workshop with Ronnie Baras. Monday, February 24, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, at KMS. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 9 Monday, February 10 Tuesday, February 11 Wednesday, February 12 Thursday, February 13 Friday, Feb. 14 – Purim Katan
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:13 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:41 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 14-15, 2014 – 15 Adar 1 5774
Parshas Ki Sisa – Shushan Purim Katan
Light Candles by 5:26 – Havdalah 6:26
* Light Candles by 5:26
* Mincha 5:30, 5:25 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:10 (Sephardi), 5:25 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:26
Sunday, February 9 Parenting Lecture with Judy Rosenthal
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 15 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM
Sunday, February 16 YISE Annual Banquet
Shabbos, February 21-22 Scholar-in-Residence: Rabbi Menachem Nissel
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 12, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director