The Shabbos Shorts PDF is formatted for legal size paper (8-1/2" x 14"). If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you should print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or a similar setting.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 19-20, 2016 – 11 Adar 1 5776 – Parshas Tetzaveh
Light Candles by 5:31 – Havdalah 6:31
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Leah & Yoni Bresler on the engagement of their daugther, Devorah, of Yerushalayim, to Azriel Gold, son of Ariella & Yossi Gold of Nof Ayalon. Mazal Tov to great-aunt and great-uncle, Elaine & Jerry Taragin, and the extended Bresler and Taragin families.
* Joel Becker and Linda Zurndorfer on the passing of their mother, Esther Becker. The funeral took place on Sunday. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Erica Kolatch on the passing of her mother, the Honorable Constance Glube. The funeral took place on Wednesday in Halifax. Shiva will be observed at 11740 Lovejoy Street through Tuesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00, Monday: 6:45, Tuesday: 7:00. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday/Monday: 5:35.
* Judy Mehlman on the passing of her mother, Muriel Alexander. The funeral took place on Wednesday in New Jersey. Shiva will beobserved at 1404 Caddington Avenue through Tuesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00, Monday:6:45, Tuesday: 7:00. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday/Monday: 5:30.
* Light Candles by 5:31
Arcola: 5:35 University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00 University: 5:30 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
Please note: Arcola and Sephardi Mincha are earlier for the Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Program.
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:31
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 (Y.P.) Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Leah & Yoni Bresler in honor of their children and grandchildren.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Young Professional – "The Young Professionals Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Shoftim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Shabbos – February 20. Special presentation between Mincha and Maariv (5:25 PM) in the YISE Social Hall. "Through Our Eyes, Living a Jewish Life with a Disability," featuring Mrs. Lianne Heller, Dr. Matthew Levitt, Mrs. Ruth Rochel Stokes, and Mr. Allon Yom Tov. Please contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com or 301-675-6684 for more information and for sponsorship opportunities.
Landmark Pesach Wine Event – Learn about new wines from Israel and place your order for wines for Pesach. Motzei Shabbos, February 20, 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM at YISE. Cost: $15 at the door. $10 of each admission will be applied to your wine order. L'Chaim!
When your Loved one Enters Hospice or Receives Palliative Care – Learn about the three different approaches to managing pain, the conditions for which they are appropriate, and the halachic issues that arise when such care is provided. Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Dr. Theo Hellertackle these questions, from different perspectives and many years of counseling patients and families. Sunday, February 21, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon at YISE (Beis Midrash). Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and the Chesed committees of YISE, KMS and SSJC.
YISE Meaningful Tefillah Project – Rabbi Burnham's class on how to lead Davening for Shabbos and Yom Tov will meet at 8:00 PM, Monday, February 22 in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, focusing on Shabbos Mincha. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 27, 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
I'll say Amen to that! Why do we pray in a Minyan? What makes communal prayer special? Rabbi Rosenbaum will lead a new three session class: Tefilah B'Tzibur – The Unique Aspects of Communal Prayer: Amen, Kaddish, Kedusha, on Monday nights from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM starting Monday, February 29, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Open to all. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more info, contact email@example.com
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! "I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts, and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. At Shomrai Nursery we respect our children, listen to their inquiries, their thoughts and their plans. We walk hand-in-hand with them, as together we forge new paths of discovery which lead to the development of essential life skills. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Contact us at 301-593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! Early bird discount is available until March 1. For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington invites the community to explore the worlds of Kashrus, conversion, financial arbitration, divorce proceedings, and more at YISE on Sunday, March 13, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM.
YISE Security – Please consider helping sponsor our increased security presence. The requested contribution is $36 per household. Of course, smaller or larger amounts will be gratefully accepted. A list of the donors will be displayed on the electronic board in the coming weeks. Tax-deductible checks made to YISE or donate through our website at www.yise.org and select "YISE Security Fund" when you submit.
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. Youth Honoree: Shani Breitstein. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (email@example.com) or Cheryl Broth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across KempMill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
n light of the terrifying daily events occuring in Israel, it is incumbent upon all of Klal Yisrael to pray and do meritorious deeds as a merit for the safety of our brothers and sisters. Those who would like to say Tehillim privately can recite 20, 83, 121, 130 and 142, among many others. May Hakadosh Baruch Hu answer our prayers, watch over the State of Israel and Jews all around the world, and bring the ultimate redemption speedily in our day.
Starting this week:
New Young Professionals Minyan
To better meet the varying interests of our growing community, the board voted for the creation of a new Young Professionals Minyan to be held at 9:15 every Shabbos morning. This Minyan will meet for the first time this Shabbos, February 20. The Minyan will be temporarily housed at the YGW small Beis Medrash. This new Minyan will add to our steady lineup at Arcola of the Hashkamah, 8:00, Youth, Main (8:45), Nusach Sefard, and Sephardi Minyanim.If you have any questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
2E: Twice Exceptional – In honor of Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Month, please join us at a viewing of this award winning documentary. Presented by Sulam, With Understanding comes Calm LLC, and Beth Sholom. Anyone who has a gifted child, teaches gifted children, or knows a gifted child, should attend this movie. It is an insight to the world through the eyes of children who think, create, and learn differently. Come and be inspired! Motzei Shabbos, February 20, 7:00 PM at Beth Sholom Congregation. Register and purchase tickets at www.bethsholom.org
Topics in Jewish History – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proud to host Mrs. Esther Schwarz presenting a three part Shiur for women only. Monday evenings at 8:00 PM, starting this Monday, February 22, 29 and March 7, at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman. For more information contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman. Donations accepted.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Spring Contest – The community is invited to the International Speech and Evaluation contest, Wednesday February 24, 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. See your friends and neighbors compete and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Laugh and Learn! Interactive, multi-media, humor-filled presentation by American-Israeli comedian Benji Lovitt. Watch and discuss classic movies, TV shows, and comedy clips to gain a richer understanding of Israeli society. Motzei Shabbos, February 27 at 8:30 PM at KMS. Thanks to the support of generous sponsors, this program is free to the community. Questions? Contact Shuly Babitz (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ina Lerman (301-681-7107).
Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGWTiferes Gedaliah invites the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning. Sunday, February 28. For more information: Contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Nurturing Our Emunah in These Difficult Times – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proudly hosting Rebbetzin Tehilla Jaeger. Sunday, February 28, 8:00 PM at YISE. As a Zechus for a Refuah Shleima for Yosef Yitzchak Ben Miriam, Raphael Yehoshua Falik Ben Bracha Basya, Tzvi Ben Sorah Chaya. For donation opportunities please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Aliyah Event of the Year – Tuesday, March 8, at the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington at 6:30 PM. Hear from professionals about employment, communities, education, taxes, budgeting and retirement in Israel, and featuring a Vendor Fair running throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to meet and network with other people planning Aliyah. For more information: www.nbn.org.il/washington
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* LinkedIn 2016 – Free workshop with Ken Horowitz. Monday, February 22, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, KMS. To reserve a seat, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Battling Amalek in our Times – Pre-Purim Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, March 13, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community children by ordering our beautiful full color, glossy Purim cards featuring our very own students! Order: 3 cards for $6, 10 cards for $18, 20 cards for $36, 30 cards for $54, 40 cards for $72 (envelopes included). Contact email@example.com or 301-593-7365 and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards available for pickup from Shul office or Shomrai Nursery.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or Hope Taragin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 21 Monday, February 22 Tuesday, Feb. 23 – Purim Katan Wednesday, Feb. 24 – Shushan Purim Katan Thursday, February 25 Friday, February 26
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 5:40 5:40, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:40, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:40, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:40, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:00 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:32 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 26-27, 2016 – 18 Adar 1 5776
Parshas Ki Sisa
Light Candles by 5:39 – Havdalah 6:38
* Light Candles by 5:39
Arcola: 5:40 University: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:35 University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:38
Shabbos, February 20 YISE Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Shabbos
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 20 Landmark Pesach Wine Event
Sunday, February 21 When your Loved one Enters Hospice or Receives Palliative Care
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 27 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:45 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 24 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director